BF2142 help needed

twiglet

Ok I've just started playing online on BF2142 and after about three minutes of playing on a server the server will suddenly cut out sending me back to the server list screen with a little popup saying punkbuster, now as far as I know I'm not cheating or runing around team killing so could someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject give me some advice as to what to do.

Thanks in advance

twiglet

Ok I've just started playing online on BF2142 and after about three minutes of playing on a server the server will suddenly cut out sending me back to the server list screen with a little popup saying punkbuster, now as far as I know I'm not cheating or runing around team killing so could someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject give me some advice as to what to do.

Thanks in advance

twiglet

Lo..

Does the popup only say Punkbuster? Is there any other information?

Have you ever had any 'anti-competitive' software installed?

Has it suddenly started doing this - or has it been always?

Is it always on the same server - any people that dont like you on there?

Neil

I'm a complete noob to the game and I've been trying it on loads of different servers with always the same results.

It dosent say anything besides the word punkbuster and I can't think of any anti competetive software i would have installed.

I've already patched up the game every time it said that one was available.

Well I just did moriquende's manual update and that didn't work.

It Now say PB IMPORTANT: RESTRICTION: Service Comunication Faliure PnkBstrA.exe and then goes back to the server list screen with the punkbuster popup.

From runner32 at www.punkbusted.com (staff). All credit to them

===========

The issue is a communication failure.

Which simply put, means a security application is blocking the A service from talking to the B process or blocking the services communication with Even Balance.

Please make sure you add the A and all B locations to your firewalls.

The A service is called from your "C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe"

There is also a copy of the B executable in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe" this probably should be granted access as well as any games copy which will be found in the PB folder inside the games root folder. i.e. BF2142 default path is "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\pb\PnkBstrB.exe"

If granting access to these via your firewall doesn't fix the issue. Try reinstalling the services with the PBSVC installer found http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsvcfaq.php

Run it as "Administrator" every time you run it by right clicking and choosing Run As.

Do the same with the PBSetup program found

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

If that does not work your best coarse of action is to open a Support Ticket with Even Balance. http://www.evenbalance.com

============

Also if you are running vista - there are some vista specific topics at evenbalance.com

Neil

When I had the problem I found instructions similar to the above and then found that one of the .exe files was in a different location to the stated one.

Just use the windows search and look for PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe.

But do update Punkbuster manually first.

Archived