Increasing fps a bit without upgrading

Kye

Hello all.

I'd like to squeeze a bit more speed out of my CA M15 A2. I don't wish to updrage anything yet (i'm still learning the trade as it were). I was thinking that a film layer of grease applied to the main spring compartment (whatever it's called, I forget), would reduce the friction a bit, and let the bring function more easily.

Would a film layer of grease around the piston to form an air proof seal?

Many thanks.

What and what? lol.

I'm not fussy really, even a few would be nice, just to get that little bit extra reach.

I want to get my weapon chrono'es again. Last time it was done it came up as 265. I brought it second hand off a mate who had never fired it. I assume that it is down the working parts needing to be bedded in, and the cold affecting the battery. From what I know, CA's are meant to do 300+ out of the box.

HI , i have a CA M4 CQB , it chrono'd about 290fps , not brilliant for a £300+ gun.But apparently the CA guns suffer from air leak problems and badly tolerated O rings.

I took my gun to Firesupport in Peterborough an they fitted Marui O rings to the piston and it chrono'd 310fps.Might be worth giving the experts a ring for advice ,they really know their stuff !

There isn't much you can do to increase FPS without some sort of an upgrade. I'd say o-ring would be cheapest, considering that some are horrible stock. You can tell if an o-ring is ok by taking out the piston assembly, firmly plugging the nozzle, and trying to move the piston up and down. Pistons vary on how hard it is to pull it back, but it should be nearly impossible to compress the piston completely. If it leaks (you can hear a hissing sound when you press), it's time for a new o-ring. The o-ring is #14 in hardware stores. I forget the exact dimensions.

Either way, you need to change the FPS by a lot to notice any difference. I doubt fixing a leaky o-ring (unless it's really bad) would make any visible changes, but when you fix lots of little problems it starts adding up.

Edit: Forgot to add, there really isn't a way to increase FPS without "upgrading". I'm assuming by upgrading, you mean opening the mechbox. If you're serious about airsofting, the best advice I can give is to just take the plunge. If you want to try it, I can give more advice.

Cool thanks guys. I'm off to wolf armouries this friday so i'll pick up an O ring there (always good to have a spare component.

Transit, i'll take the plunge over christmas I think. I want to strip my rifle down so I can see whats what, and how it goes (newly qualified mechanical engineer with a very curious mind). I have my M15 next to me and i'm dying to take it aprt. However, one is rather busy for the next three weeks. :(

Cool thanks guys. I'm off to wolf armouries this friday so i'll pick up an O ring there (always good to have a spare component.

Transit, i'll take the plunge over christmas I think. I want to strip my rifle down so I can see whats what, and how it goes (newly qualified mechanical engineer with a very curious mind). I have my M15 next to me and i'm dying to take it aprt. However, one is rather busy for the next three weeks. :(

heh I know the feeling... I have an unstoppable urge to take all my guns and such apart, but when I find the time to strip them down I can't seem to find the time to put them back together, sometimes for weeks at a time.

That's what i'm afraid of. That and the old "Where does this last little bit go" comment when the gun (or any other item) has been put back together again ;).

It will be an education anyway. I might start to understand some of the lingo that goes around here and the components.

I have just recently taken my first look inside a gearbox, for the sake of being curious and also wanting to do a very minor overhaul.

Just take your time and as I was told by many people, take pictures along the way in case you forget what goes where :)

I replaced the o-ring on my Dboys M4 along with a re-grease and re-shim and was plesantly supprised about the instant improvement.

Have fun.

Beardo

I dont know what the status of this is yet but if your CA hasent been taken apart yet then i suggest doing so. I just bought a CA M15A4 SPR last night and have worked on at least 10 different CA guns and all of them have the same thing wrong with them. CA uses some white lithium grease that is like a GLUE. honestly last night I had 3 gears hanging from eachother from the grease alone, I should have taken a picture =/. Anyways they use this same grease on their Piston O-Ring. If you do take apart the gun or have it taken apart have them remove all of the grease from the gearbox and the components then re grease it. You should use a Cylinder Oil (which is a heavy weight silicon oil not a grease) instead. The other thing I HATE about CA guns is their shimming. It comes in two forms and two forms only, Tooo tight and tooo loose. ( :rolleyes: ) If I didnt have a game this weekend, and 2 other guns to work on I would take the time to reshim mine (which is too loose) but I will save that after I do my other upgrades.

So:

Reshim

Regrease

Relube

Reassemble

All done! :)

Thank PeaceKeeper. That is a really big help. I was planning to actually use lithium grease on it! I won't be now thats for sure. Instead i'll tick up some cylinder oil friday.

As for shimming. That is a bit beyond my of expertise at the moment. I have only just real got into this, so I want to learn each bit first. I'll have alook around for shims though, see what ones are good etc.

Thanks again anyway, thats been a great bit of help :)

Rgrease and re-lube. I guess the grease (silicon oil?) for the gears, and a thinner silicon project to do the O-rings and whatever else?

Archived