Support gunners support option

cafemondo

When I'm sniping ((Different form of support weapon, but similar need for a backup/sidearm)) I usually carry an MP5K or a Skorpion. I've also used a GBB Mini Uzi and a MAC11, and any of these does the job well enough. They each give almost pistol size, decent enough accuracy and power for FISH and CHIPS, and have "Back off, or I'll spray you with my entire magazine, serious." firepower. The MP5K gets the most use, though as where I play there's usually the chance for cold weather and/or snow, and that seems to be the most reliable.

None of these is terribly heavy, and even with such a heavy support weapon ((My sniping setup is almost twenty pounds, so I know what you're talking about.)) they provide greater benefit than detriment. Of course, my secondary weapon probably gets more use due to the lack of ammunition that I have, comparatively, as a sniper, so this may not hold true for you. The best secondary that I can recommend, though, is a friend to watch your back. I have a couple of spotters I play with often who use AEGs ((A Mk. 12 Mod O and a 'Sniperized' CA G3 respectively)) who've gotten me out of numerous situations where I was switching mags or what have you and have reminded people that Snipers work in Pairs for a reason. I think the same really holds true of a SAW/Support gunner, a second set of eyes helps when laying suppressive fire or being ambushed in addition to watching your back.

I've got an A+K M249 and a Top M60 E3 so I've played support gunner several times, I Always have at lest a glock about me as a backup or if I have to go very short range quickly, (ie being stumbled upon or suddenly team has to enter a building) Although I'm toying with a marui Socom as they are so quiet and accurate and can easily draw an over eager team into an ambush. Plink at them with a Socom and when they open up, revealing their positions, light them up with the minimi :P

It is a good idea for a SAW gunner to carry some sort of secondary / alternate weapon whenever phesable. At some fields the SAW is not allowed to engage at certain distances and when attacking certain areas often times fully auto fire is not allowed so a semi-auto weapon woulf be ideal to have so as to remain in the fight. I carry a USP compact usually when useing a MINIMI and have been looking at MP7's to replace the USP or accent it.

So went out and skirmished on saturday, took G36 on my back and De on the belt. Weight isnt that much of an issue during but you do feel it afterwards when the adrenalin has worn down.

When walking to different areas both aegs can be held in each hand using the slings as a second hand gives you 180 degree dual shooting capability. Dual wielding both AEG's is a lot of fun for laying down large ammounts of suppressing fire, rescued team members this way. Massive long bursts on the m249 with short precise ones on the g36.

Handy to have another AEG whenever the other was empty and needed reloading, I wasnt stuck as I had another ready to pick up and fire. I also sounded like two people at times defending one area which helped keep a flank clear.

M4 mags in the M249 arent recomended as main ammo sources as they dont have enough capacity and are prone to being knocked out (twice) into the mud.

Definitely needs a nade launcher with the g36c for more devastating effect.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be surprised if you would want more then a pistol, the Support weapon weighs enough as it is without an assualt weapon as a backup.

If your down to a backup weapon your likely to be over run anyway, and if your pulling back then you would be relying on covering fire from team mates to surppress the enemy.

Stick to a Pistol and keep some manuverability.

Archived