type 96 or m700 aics

lewis hiscock

ok im after a sniper rifle based around the l96

im deciding between the maruzen type 96 and the tanaka m700 aics

i am wondering what the type 96 stock performance is like,

what upgrades the type 96 needs to fire accuratly at higher fps.

and how easy it is to change spring as i'd need it to be within the forum limit

for game days.

also i am wondering what pro's the m700 has over the type 96

experiences with both guns would be great

cheers

lew

From what I hear, the AICS is a better gun but it's not an accurate L96 replica.

The Type 96, by contrast, is a better replica but is more basic in operation.

If you want the "ultimate" L96 then the Star one is probably the way to go.

If you want to buy a Type 96 and upgrade it so it's an exceptional gun then you'll end up spending the same amount as a Star L96 would cost.

If you want to go for the spring gun then I'd suggest you buy a Well L96 and then upgrade that instead.

If you go for the AICS then you'll need to buy parts for it (even though it's a good gun to begin with) and, even so, it still won't look like an L96.

I have the Warrior 1 L96 and it's a decent sniper rifle now.

I've made a lot of changes to it. The most critical ones are that the trigger housing is weak and needs replacing and I've modified the hop-up to work with an AEG V-hop-up.

I cant say anything about performance, but if you decide to go the Tanaka route, there is an alternative to the AICS.

I believe they just came out with several L96's. They may not be in the UK yet but you can find them on Redwolf. They have a different barrel and the L96 style bolt. :)

im not really interested in a 'perfect copy' of the actual l96

i can only get one of the 2 mentioned (i cant get a warrior one unfortunatly, much to my dismay)

i want a sniper rifle with good consistency between shots

what i mean by that is better than an AEG (doews a sniper rifle at UK limits 328fps

have better groupings than a semi auto AEG?)

this is my first sniper rifle and the first time im moving away from AEG's

im leaning more towards the Type 96 as i dont want to have to keep buying gas

and changing the spring will alter my FPS accordingly.

what upgrades will i need, it seems a little blank for me there because

when upgrading an AEG its obvious and easy to know why you include certain parts

but surely with a spring powered single action gun the only things that make a difference

are the power, hop unit and barrel.

what other upgrades do you need ands why?

alos how much cosmetic difference is there between the maruzen t96 and the cheaper versions (warrior , well, ect)

I want a sniper rifle with good consistency between shots

what i mean by that is better than an AEG (doews a sniper rifle at UK limits 328fps

have better groupings than a semi auto AEG?)

this is my first sniper rifle and the first time im moving away from AEG's

im leaning more towards the Type 96 as i dont want to have to keep buying gas

and changing the spring will alter my FPS accordingly.

Well for consistancy you're better off with a spring rifle than a gas one, unless you have the money to do a co2 conversion (around $200) That'll also be easier to change power with, as you will have a psi gauge. If you want to upgrade to higher fps, but still be able to quickly go back to a lower fps (you'll probably need to change bb's and hop up adjustment) then imo you're better of with the AICS + co2 conversion, vsr hop conversion, and a tightbore.

But at 328fps you're probably best off with a spring rifle. For the same cost of the co2 conversion you could get a tightbore. That'll probably be all you'll need, other than a scope of course. I dont know anything about the internals of the type 96 specifically, but i do have an aps2, so if you want to upgrade the power i can assume you'll need a new cylinder and head, piston and piston head, spring, trigger sear, piston sear, and maybe cylinder stopper. If you buy a king arms lightweight trigger mech (does that fit in the L96? :huh: ) then those last three parts will be already upgraded with it. That'll get you the power you want, then for accuracy you'll need the tightbore but i have no idea about the L96 hop up so i'll leave that for someone else to mention. (Have i missed anything??)

To upgrade each to be consistant and powerful you're looking at maybe £400

If you're only skirmishing with the rifle at 328fps, then i suggest you dont bother with upgrades, its not worth it just to have more power for plinking. So, in this case go with the type 96, a tightbore, scope, and (if needed) better hop up.

May I ask what site you play at that limits you to 328?

All the uk sites near me are either 400 / 500 for bolt action spring rifles.

At 328 a boltie is not going to have that much advantage over an AEG, dosen't mean it can't be done. You just lose some of the range advantage you have over AEGs, meaning your one shot has to hit as if you miss your most likely in range of their AEG and will have alot of rounds coming your way if they spot you. Also, how comes you can't get a Warrior 1? They are practically everywhere at the mo lol

BUT out of the Type96 and the AICS. The AICS obviously has the nicer cocking action of a gas rifle, but you have to carry gas with you, figure out the variables of temperature etc personally, I'll take a spring boltie anyday.

apparently zeroone will spray it for you and they do the warrior

Thats not what I heard from them, infact I believe I still have the email.

No we don’t as we feel going around the VCRa bill will only cause the government to knuckle down on the sport further, and furthermore using the UKARA system allows us to show the government how many people actually do register and play, hence the larger that group the stronger our case.

Sorry James,

Kind Regards,

Oliver

Zero One Airsoft Ltd.

Sent: 11 January 2008 07:32

To: contactus@zerooneairsoft.com

Subject: Two Tone Painting

Hi,

Am just wondering if you do two tone painting on certain RIF?

If so what kind of costs would be involved?

Regards

James

yeah i sent a similar email , good to see im not alone

i dont mind really cos the maruzen will be of much better build quality

and im buying it with a credit card so the price wont hurt me much

if i put an m100 spring and tightbore barrel will that push the FPS over 350?

i need to get it as close to 350 as possible without going over.

any suggestions?

sorry to late to edit

ive recently heard that the maruzen type 96

has a very 'cheap' feel to it.

can anyone confirm this? or is this just in comparison to the tanaka/star versions?

also ive never owned a gas gun of any kind (only AEG'S and 1 boltie in the past)

how much maintenence is needed to keep them from leaking?

Well my Maruzen Aps2 EX's stock feels quite cheap and it's very light weight. My Tanaka M700 does feel much more solid and is heavier.

I dont have a problem with the feel of the Maruzen, sure it's light, but thats quite good for skirmishing. However the m700 does feel more real. But I strongly recommend that you dont buy the Tanaka if the only reason is because it's slightly heavier. It really isn't worth it.

I believe someone else has also asked, but what is the fps limit for sniper rifles at the site that you play at?

If it's only around 350fps then just go for the Maruzen, it'll be much more consistant out of the box, and with a bit of krylon the stock feels less plasticy.

If the fps limit is higher then it may be worth considering the Tanaka. Maintenance wise you dont need to do much, just clean it after each time you use it and make sure it's lubed up enough. Which is pretty much the same as with a spring rifle.

try www.actionhobbys.co.uk or airsoft scotland

they do a whole range of 2-tones

edit, not the warrior but AGM l96:

http://actionhobbys.co.uk/AGM-L96-Airsoft-...one-_AIV4S.aspx

Just saw this...

Note that the gun shown is the AGM002. That is the cheapo version of the L96, previously known as the BE L96. It is quite a bit nastier than the Well/Warrior gun.

is the PCS system literally a grub screw drilled into the line somewhere?

to restrict the gas flow?

i am a machinist by trade so if i got the AICS could i just drill a hole in (say m6 hole)

then put in a dog nosed grub screw to give the desired effect?

thus enabling me to power the rifle down for game days

Lewis , here goes

I have add all three star 338 , Maruzen l96 ,and tanaka pcs aics

I spent £100s on the tanaka but never fired it around 350 always around 5++

My star will fire nicly at 350 but not as consistanly as a maruzen l96 , i have ran my 96 at 350 -400 and 500 and at 350 i used ,3s and a 110 spring it was lervly ;) ..My l96 set up at the momment out ways any other rifle i have had ,and the only one i havnt had is a vfc m82a1 ,

The cocking will be easy with the 110 spring and no real pressure on the trigger

hope this helps

steve

is the PCS system literally a grub screw drilled into the line somewhere?

to restrict the gas flow?

i am a machinist by trade so if i got the AICS could i just drill a hole in (say m6 hole)

then put in a dog nosed grub screw to give the desired effect?

thus enabling me to power the rifle down for game days

Bear in mind it's gonna have to be gas-tight.

You're on the right track but I imagine any screwed fitting you make would also have to have an o-ring on it somewhere.

*edit*

Sketch for clarity:-

regulator.jpg

for me its all coming down to build quality now.

the star seems to have the most and will fire at 320fps on 134a, but would set me back 525 quid

and is in my opinion a bit to heavy

the maruzen would be ideal power wise but having never held one i cant say how much creak

the plastics will have. upgrading will cost a bomb and the bolt pull will be heavy when i use a

powerfull spring (when skirmishing with mates or at an event besides dragon valley).

the AICS seems to be the best choice if i could just get it down below 350fps for DV days

although the mags are stupidly expensive.

im waiting back on a comparison of the maruzen/tanaka from someone who owns both.

then my mind will be made up

Didn't i write a similar reply in another thread?

If you missed it:

Maruzen is light and plasticy, but does not creak AT ALL. It's solid but light. The bolt pull isn't actually bad at all, i have a 450fps spring in mine and i can do it very easily. But yes it will cost a lot to get to higher fps.

AICS wont be as consistant, and will probably be as expensive to get shooting consistantly. The AICS is heavier, but its still quite plasticy, not as much as the maruzen though. I think it has slightly worse seem lines that the Maruze as well. With 134a I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that it fires under 330fps anyway.

I mean surely this is going to ultimately come down to what you think about each of them anyway? Build quality is good on all of them, each will be expensive to upgrade. I cant speak about the Star because i dont know enough about them, but there is a thread around here somewhere specifically about them, which you should have a look through if you consider the 338, if i find the thread I'll post a link.

EDIT: link to STAR 338 thread: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...howtopic=117676

Didn't i write a similar reply in another thread?

I think the guy started this thread to compare the Type 96 and the AICS then made a post in the APS2 thread asking for comparisons of the Type 96 compared to the Well gun.

Me, I'd always buy a springer over a gas gun. Correct or not, I had such a bad time with a KJW M700 that you'd have to pay me to try another gas boltie.

In this case, I didn't see any real difference between the Type 96 and the Well L96. The stock was similar. The action of the Maruzen is a little bit nicer painted but nothing major. The Type 96 won't last forever at 350fps and the Well gun needs downgrading to shoot at 350fps so both will need work internally.

In the end, it'd have to be the Well L96 every time.

Unless somebody is prepared to give me a Star AW338 for free to change my mind. ;)

Archived