Orc Industries Softshell

Vercingetorix

Well, I measured my slightly large fleece that I had lying around... My sleeve length is 34, chest is around 40ish (to allow for something under the jacket, usually more than one layer), my neck is 15, and my back is 27ish... so a medium MCU would be perfect in all ways of size other than back... it is three inches long, but that doesn't really ,matter... I am fifteen and still growing (*touch wood*)... So would a medium PCU fit? as that is what I would rather get... oh, shoulder width is around 21 in.... Thanks! (orc has no sizing chart for the PCU, so I was wondering, and maryann left, so I have to wait till tomorrow after school to call)

My MCU Lv5 jacket just arrived, first impressions:

Very thin material, easy to see light through it.

Highly resistant to wind and water. Stuck my arm under a faucet for 30 seconds, water didn't soak through.

I took a quick walk with a t-shirt as my only base layer, and didn't get terribly cold. Temperature here is 25F, windchill brings it down to 12F, winds 16-22 MPH.

Looks fly as fook, love the Alpha Green color.

Medium fits my 6'2'' slim/athletic build great.

Can't find any double-stitched seams on it, disappointing.

Velcro wrist adjustments aren't the same, minor difference in spacing of adjustment straps.

*EDIT*

Just finished doing some home repair outside, and I can say that you NEED a base layer for extended stints outdoors under 40F. Wind or no wind, the cold still gets to you due to the lack of an insulating layer in the jacket. Not a stand-alone jacket for cooler days.

I just ordered mine MCU (PCU medium is too small... only 31 for sleeves...).... Sadly ORC has finished their production run of MCUs for now... SO they only have small left (mine size... YAY!)

I will add mine on review when I get it... Picture heavy it will be... Thanks for the input guys!

How's the stitching on your PCU? My MCU only has single stitching, but it's very precise and seems quite tough.

I honestly don't understand why people complain about the water repellent qualities of the MCU... what, are you swimming in it?

Also, I wore my cheapo WalMart fleece under my MCU jacket and it was absolutely GREAT! Wind was not a problem, nor water, and the wind-resistant qualities of the MCU really enhanced the insulating properties of my base layer. Spectacular.

I honestly don't understand why people complain about the water repellent qualities of the MCU... what, are you swimming in it?

My MCU was amazingly water repelant when I first got it. However, 6 months later, it is not too impressive. I think the coating that they use wears off or something.

It will be like most waterproof clothing where you have to reapply the waterproofing after a certain amount of time

I understand and agree completely, but after only 6 months of very limited casual use and 1 day in the field. I'm use to my water proofing lasting a lot longer than that.

well, mine actually shipped today... Can't wait to get my hands on it.... As for the water repellency of it, I really don't mind if it wears of, because I will probably almost have outgrown it by that time... But for the price, it is hard to beat... All the rival jackets, although they have nice features, etc, cost like x2 more.... I can deal with having to reapply waterproofing for that...

I understand and agree completely, but after only 6 months of very limited casual use and 1 day in the field. I'm use to my water proofing lasting a lot longer than that.

I get ya, after coming up to a year of use my Mountain Equipment softshell is still going well and I wear that most days in the winter and always when going hiking (unless in the summer and its actually hot)

Archived