Best combat uniform design, and features?

Maple-Leaf

Which of these offers the best combination of features and value-for-money?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Also describe any particular features you think are great - and why.

• Good old BDUs
    • Soldier 2000 ensemble
    • KSK / Commando shirt, smock, trousers
    • ACU
    • Crye Precision R6 Field shirt and trousers
    • Begadi BE-X smock, shirt and trousers
    • RAID-modified BDUs
    • Drop Zone Tactical Ops Series and Recce Smock
    • HyperStealth ECU
    • MCCUU
    • SASS Special Forces Smock
    • Sabre Combat Field Shirt, SF Smock and SF Trousers
    • Bekas BDU
    • SPOSN Gorka
    • Partizan (Reversible) Oversuit
    • Dutch DPM
    • Something else? please explain...

I picked a mix of BEKAS and RAID BDUs, and here's why:

-The BEKAS cut (also known as the M7 cut) as offered by ANA and Rex-Design has kneepad pockets integrated into their pants (so does the SPOSN VDV suit, but it's an exception). This is nice for those of us who dislike kneepads. With the right hard-wearing fabric, this is an instant winner. Applying it to a BDU top (as an option) is VERY nice for those of us who remain prone for long periods of time. I also like the BEKAS cut for the simple arm pockets. Useful, not too big, and button-closure, which I like. The pocket arrangement on the pants is nice too (front of thighs). Another nice feature is that the BEKAS has elastic ankle cuffs and the stirrups, a VERY nice combination for keeping ###### out of the boots. For some odd reason I also like the rank epaulets, they're good for running com wire through. Finally, the best feature is the ventilated crotch and armpits. So much better than regular uniforms!

-The RAID BDUs offer a wide range of options, the ones I would pick are:

*slanted chest pockets, useful with body armor or vests

*slanted arm pockets, just for a bit more functionality

*Velcro butt pockets

*Flight-suit style wrist cuffs

*Ankle magazine pocket on the inside of the right leg

*Mandarin collar

To sum it all up, here's what I consider the ultimate uniform for my purposes, based on what I've used:

*Mandarin Collar

*Slanted chest pockets - no closure

*Slanted arm pockets w/ velcro on the outside - button closure

*Button-up with a velcro-over flap

*Flight suit style cuffs

*Mesh armpits

*Epaulets

Pants

*Front thigh cargo pockets

*Butt pockets - velcro closure

*Shock cord cuffs

*Stirrups with cloth to tuck into boots

*Mesh crotch

*Zipper fly with a button-over flap

*Utility pocket on inside of right leg, for an IFAK or magazine

Built in suspenders, like from the GORKA suit, would be a really nice touch.

That's my contribution.

I voted for Soldier 2000 (though I've only used S95) and RAID BDUs.

Mainly its the jacket thing you mentioned earlier. I find the S95 jackets very well thought out. The combination of zip pockets and button pockets especially.

I also find the RAID pockets useful, compared to standard BDUs, which i'm stuck with at the moment. As you said, not much use for the lower pockets, especially not under armour now.

-The BEKAS cut (also known as the M7 cut) as offered by ANA and Rex-Design has kneepad pockets integrated into their pants (so does the SPOSN VDV suit, but it's an exception). This is nice for those of us who dislike kneepads. With the right hard-wearing fabric, this is an instant winner. Applying it to a BDU top (as an option) is VERY nice for those of us who remain prone for long periods of time. I also like the BEKAS cut for the simple arm pockets. Useful, not too big, and button-closure, which I like. The pocket arrangement on the pants is nice too (front of thighs). Another nice feature is that the BEKAS has elastic ankle cuffs and the stirrups, a VERY nice combination for keeping ###### out of the boots. For some odd reason I also like the rank epaulets, they're good for running com wire through. Finally, the best feature is the ventilated crotch and armpits. So much better than regular uniforms!

Isn't it a bit awkward/uncomfortable having the cargo pockets located on the front of the thighs?

I voted something else. My vote is for my DPM UBACS, it is the best piece of uniform i own. Apart from the fact that its DPM so i can use it for work, it has hard wearing cotton sleeves with reinforced elbow bits, arm pockets that are useful when you have body armour on and the main body is ventilated mesh nylon which (for me) is more comfortable than a cotton t-shirt and cool under your armour.

When the ACU cut trousers come at the end of this month they will form a complete set up, but until then i use the soldier 2000 trousers, which arent anything special-feature wise.

But the new ones will have reinforced knees, reiforced groin and calf pockets.

As for experience, i have used ACUs, BDUs, R6 style field shirt and trousers, dutch uniform and good old soldier 2000. The other ones i cant comment on.

Darkchild

I've gone partizan oversuit because of the comfort and you can wear it with whatever you want underneath depending on the conditions. Tely only in summer or BDUs and more in winter.

If Bekas cut kit had been on there I'd have voted for that. Feels like a tracksuit, vented at crotch and armpits and is very hard wearing. I've got 2 and they're great.

* Crye Precision combat gear may be the "bee's knees", but it is a bit OTT really - and very expensive.

It ranks high regardless.

The list price is not expensive for what you get [pants & pads $189, shirt & pads $141], its only expensive as its not reached full commercial production, and the demand is massive on the second hand market [pants & pads $800+, shirt & pads $200ish].

Though I agree the results could get either skewed by people who have never worn them going for the 'cool factor'. Having met me, i'm sure you know my standpoint anyway maple ;).

MCCUU: Because I like the pocket lay-out, I like being able to leave the shirt untucked, and I f___ing hate the velcro on my RAID BDU-style SKDTac MultiCam utilities (in fact, I strongly disapprove of the use of velcro in general. Unless you haven't learned to tie your shoes or arthritis makes it too painful to do satisfactorily).

EDIT: I also like the Extra-Long sizes....

The list price is not expensive for what you get [pants & pads $189, shirt & pads $141], its only expensive as its not reached full commercial production, and the demand is massive on the second hand market [pants & pads $800+, shirt & pads $200ish].

I beg to disagree - that IS expensive. I know you get a lot of bang for your buck, but its still expensive - and even if they went into mass production, they would still be expensive.

Which is part of the reason why I'm surprised that there haven't been more votes for the R6 Field Uniform option....

Archived