Which rifle would be best for me?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which gun?

• TM VSR 10 RealShock
    • CA M24 SOCOM
    • Tanaka M700 Police
    • Tanaka M40

Ok...

So I have my Tanaka M700 A.I.C.S., pretty much fully upgraded. I love it, amazing rifle.. But it's quite heavy. I think that's my only gripe.

I always seem to be on the attacking team, as well :(

I would like another sniper rifle, in a lighter configuration... I'd like good performance stock, but I probably will be upgrading it.

I picked the CA M24 because doesn't it have a system whereby you can switch it between gas and spring by just changing the cylinder? Is it any good? What upgrades?

The TM VSR10 RS interests me greatly, but I don't know why :S

The Tanaka variants are a brand I trust, and I know that with the upgrades they'll give me the awesome performance I need. I also already have a P.C.S. bolt, so out of the box, any of the M700 range can shoot 500 FPS.

I'm also looking for the cheapest way to get it shooting consistently at 500 FPS. I love gas rifles, and I'd prefer one, but I might go spring, especially if someone can tell me more about that CA M24 SOCOM.

Just wondered what you guys thought, and instead of spamming all the individual stickied threads, I posted a new topic :P

Ben.

I did think about the GSPEC, but you see them so often... What's the difference between the Real Shock and that, apart from the silencer?

I don't really want shorter... longer is better, just a little lighter than an A.I.C.S. should suffice!

Ben.

I voted TANAKA m40a1. But you already guessed that.

You already have the PCS bolt which helps. Plus, you know the tanaka m700 action and process of upgrading. So you could fit another PAX/2ROY/KINGARMS hop kit and nineball rubber plus 555mm barrel of your choice; with full confidence.

The m700p is too big/long which doesn't suit your requirements and won't take 555mm barrels (they are too short).

The m40a1 is only 2745g while the CA M24 is 3600g (all figures are from memory so maybe incorrect). I found the CA M24 is too heavy and that is what you are saying, you want to avoid. It's stock performance is not good either.

OK the VSR10 is super lightweight and has the advantage of consistancy, in rapid fire situations, or the cold. Its probably the better choice, due to weight alone. Using a G-SPEC

I have owned VSR10, M700P and m40a1 (plus APS2 MK2, similar to CA M24 internally) so have an idea how they compare. The M40a1 is perfect and I want no other rifle, if I am honest.

here is another 6mmHunter with his recently finsihed m40a1.

S6002419.jpg

Good Hunting ;)

The real shock has weights on the piston to give it a simulated recoil. Much better off with a Pro-sniper (which is identical but without the weights).

pretty useless other than that.

Now, you know I am a huge fan of Tanakas, but I have to say that when I got my hands on a VSR I was quite frankly amazed.

If you want light, accurate, good in stock form with bags of upgrade potential, then a Vizzer is im my opinion the only way to go.

The pro-sniper has a longer barrel and no silencer, but other than that, its the same as the rest of the range. My VSR is a pro-sniper, although its been somewhat butchered over the years.

The main benefit is consistency. Come rain or shine, fair weather or foul. It will always shoot in the same place and you dont have to worry about running out of gas. My only gripe about it, is it is too light.... but thats what you want, so its moot really.

If you end up going down the Tanaka route, then the M40 or the LTR (if you can find one) is the way to go.

Hmmm, I am sort of leaning towards the M40 at the moment...

I would go with the VSR's, but I'm sick of the sight of them.

I wanted someone to tell me that the CA M24 was awesome, but sadly not :(

Having said that, a spring system would be nice to have... Would go with the APS-2, but have read that the VSR outstrips this with a better HOP.

I'd like a Dragunov, but not heard of one that's particularly outstanding for skirmishing.

Ben.

now I know this is my own personal experience and may not be the rule, but my APS-2 experience was like sliding down a razor blade using my b0ll*cks for brakes. There is no comparison in my eyes.

I poured countless cash into that pig and it was utterly useless.

If you've got a mail address Ben, I'll email some pics of my VSR in any of its numerous guises. I hate the VSR stock with a passion, so do my best to change it as often as possible.

I've mated it to a Laylax APS-2 Shotgun stock, its currently on either a Kar98 stock or a custom thumbie style (bodged from the VSR one) and I am currently constructing a TPG-1 look-a-like stock for it.

just for reference, the rifles I have owned thus far...

Tanaka M700, LTR, M40A1, M24, AICS and Kar98. Star AW338, VSR-10 Pro-Sniper (the only current survivor), APS-2 and some China clone of the L-96 (which I still have the stock for... and may convert to fit the VSR, who knows).

I am toying with reclaiming the LTR and doing a decent HPA rig.... its niggling me.

Great advice, but I must say the tanaka m700 system with VSR hop conversion is just as amazing as the VSR10 itself.

Seriously, these gas rifles have awesome accuracy. Look at the RIGHT HOOK FABRICATIONS film to see what these things can do.

Eventually, you could upgrade to HPA, if you feel it necessary.

I would suggest the LTR is the way to go, as you want light and short for an attacking game. It's already out of production, so an instant classic and has a wooden stock. FIRESUPPORT still have some PCS versions I believe. I like the LTR, but still prefer the m40a1 cheek comb stock, with thin forearm.

I will attempt to make another film, in calmer conditions and warmer temp to show what the m40a1 and LTR are capable off.

In the end, you will have to choose yourself :) .

Good Hunting ;)

Damn you.....

My old LTR is still around.... all I need now is line, self sealing QD's, a HPA bottle and the VSR Hop conversion.

might have to PM RighHook about the QD's.

Lab... I still maintain my stance on the VSR. Its best to have both.

What's the difference between the LTR and the M40?

The LTR hasa shorter barrel, but the M40 has a tightbore of sorts as standard, right?

Still looking at spring guns... Not overly impressed by the quality of any of them.

Ben.

I'm having the same problem at the moment Lab. I got some spare cash and I just cant make up my mind. I'm leaning towards a Tanaka M40 or a VSR-10 G-spec. I've owned a Bar-10 but I found I wanted a more reliable rifle.

The only thing holding me back is gas+cold=........ that's why im considering a VSR.

How good do gas rifles perform at like 0C? cause my GBB doesnt even work with those temperatures. And I need to be able to use the rifle all year round.

Edit: I think the LTR and M40a1 are completely the same gun internally. Just the LTR has a shorter barrel, if I recall correctly.

I thought the LTR had a really short barrel?

I might go with the M40... It looks good, I trust Tanaka, and I know how much the upgrades will cost me.

However, I've always wanted a Barrett .50 cal, and there are some kits for sale online that require a VSR 10 to complete them...

Hmmm...

Ben.

M40 and the LTR have exactly the same barrel length and profile.... only the stock is different.

IIRC...

M700 - long tapered barrel, wide forearm, solid stock.

M24 - Short Bull Barrel, Wide forearm adjustable stock

M40 - Short bull barrel, narrow forearm, solid camo stock

LTR - Short Bull Barrel, narrow Forearm, real wood stock.

AICS - Short Bull barrel, AI Chassis System.

All internals have been identical (apart from the AICS that has a square hop, although this may have been moved to their entire range by now).

As for operating at 0 degrees.... I found my Tanakas to be poor in such cold weather, when run on green. For such cold weather I suggest a spring powered rifle.

Hmm if I read the descriptions on WGC it says the LTR is 101cm long and the M40a1 is 111cm long. So I guess the difference is in the stock then? :unsure: Anyway, the LTR is a little bit shorter.

So you're saying it's not possible to get a somewhat consistent 450-500 fps with a tanaka gas rifle at around 0C temperatures? If that's the deal I wont have another choice but to go with the VSR-10...

Btw, Lab, sorry to have hijacked your thread a bit :P

The LTR does have a shorter inner barrel. When you fit the VSR 555mm barrels with conversion kit, the barrel protrudes. I got the King Arms m700 slencer adapter and got it milled down to fit the end of the LTR outer barrel. This way, although the inner protruded, it was protected inside the silencer.

It easier to just drop the same parts in a m40a1 but you end up with no available silencer adapter that fits (May contain Nuts: are you listening :P ).

The LTR is basicly the same as an m40a1 and once converted, it's identical internaly.

At 0C I would also opt for spring or else you have to look at HPA rigs.

Good Hunting ;)

If I get a new rifle, I might look at converting the A.I.C.S. to H.P.A.

The M40 is looking good, but so is the VSR, and also the LTR :(

Ben.

It sucks picking just one doesnt it! Wish I could buy them all :P. At least u can keep your rifles at home...mine are stored 100km away :(

Archived