.50 cal project (browning m2hb)

m4matty

after seeing the amazing job that catman and maddog have done

i'm going to give my own a go its not going to be gas blow back

but electric any advice any one is willing to give would be nice

and any thing on the dimensions would be fantastic

all i managed to find out was that its 65 inches in total and that the barrel is 45 of that any one else out there got any tips ?

this will be my first scrach build project so please be constructive if you can

matty

sort of.................. the tools i have to cut my metal wernt realy up to the job.

i have something more substancial now, so am going to try and get some more of the plates roughed out. tomorrow think. i may have also sussed out the internals too! they have yet to be purchased though. this is going to be a slow project sadly but i do intend to see it through !

• 3 months later...

Worth a necro...

The A&K guns did not meet quality by a long shot. If you have an Air-Sharp gun on order, it will be shipped with a NEW, fully upgraded M249 box, New Echo1 hopup, and a JB Unicorn 6.03mm tightbore, teflon coated. This applies to all "M2Nitro guns" only.

They are the most powerful guns I've ever put together.

All other units will be shipped with a NEW CYMA full metal bushing M14 base, not the flakey "other models" used in the past. I'm eating the extra cost on everything, to make amends to my many, appreciated customers who have been patient.

A .50 is BIG. Go find a real one to look at, decide if you REALLY want to lug a 22lb gun around.

An M2 isn't a "run and gun" item. Current AirSoft gameplay is all run and gun.

(So many people want a self-contained M2HB gun, I'm working on a design, even though there's no real-steel equiv.)

The best use for an airsoft M2 is in very structured scenario, and I'm a bit early offering these.

The overwhelming number of the ones I've made are being used by 60+ old ex-soldiers, who play in the yard with them

(My mother-in-law has one of the 1919's bolted to her picnic table, with a 12v power supply hooked to it. Squirrels don't mess with Granny's walnut trees anymore).

I recommend building in PVC or wood for the average Joe the Gun Nut.

ABS (what ALL my guns are CNC'd from now) is a bit tough to cut and shape unless you have some good equipment , and are familiar with ABS cutting. It likes to re-fuse, more than be parted.

Aluminum is a world of difference apart.

#1, it's heavy. Figure 60lbs for an all-metal 1919, way more for an M2 at twice the mass.

#2, it's tough stuff. Unless you are experienced with working it, expect a high reject rate and damaged tooling. Milling aluminum is its own discipline.

#3, fasteners or industrial adhesives are needed for assembly, = manpower and time.

Google Aluminum 1919, you can find evidence of several announced metal 1919 airsoft variants, none of which made it past prototype stage.

Dees is rumored to be working on an A6 (based on some of my very own early design work), but it again looks like a low-volume, high-cost item when/if.

Pics I may have seen indicate that's it's probably gorgeous...

When I designed my first 1919's they were a compromise in weight/strength.

PVC allowed a low enough shipping cost to accommodate an overseas market.

Sadly, these guns were easily broken, and the extremely low mass put off a lot of people.

I pulled them, and have just recently started to offer them in 1/4-inch thick ABS.

A project is no fun if it can't be completed. Start simple- there's a guy on YouTube who makes PAPER guns.

A coping saw and a drill bit or two can turn out very nice results.

I made 20 1919's this way before I bought the first power tools I have.

PS:Somebody out there, PLEASE start making airsoft Brownings, because I'm swamped, and have been for over two years.

Look up a guy called Candyman, to see some REALLY nice metalwork'd replicas....

A .50 is BIG. Go find a real one to look at, decide if you REALLY want to lug a 22lb gun around.

Its down to the roll you want to play, if you want to run around be a rifleman then yeh its run and gun as you put it. Using a 50 cal is a pretty static position but that doesnt mean it aint fun!

I went to GroundZero with Maddog and we took his 50cal, it weighs in at 35kilos altogether and took 4 men to move it from position to position but one thing was for sure, the noise it made alone kept attackers away! It was worth bringing just to hear the enemy war storey's in the dead zone about how they could hear the 50cal over 100 yards away and they didnt want to attack it, lol!!!

normal_CIMG0643%20copy.jpg

GREAT setup!

The personnel shields are spot-on. Having all the accessory G.I.Joes to work the thing has to be a plus, except at lunchtime. I bet I know who was buying. -An army travels on its stomach...

I got to heft a real M2 tripod once. The guys who carried THOSE should be remembered....

Now you got me wondering.

I have a Gas Mac11 just sitting here, and a huge pile of new teflon'd tightbores, 510mm's....

Hmm.

I also have a nice 2-gallon size air compressor, some hose, two mac mags to experiment with.

Adding one of my motorized drives for ammo, this could BE something....

The Mac is ~115.00USD. Cheap enough to kill with stupid-long firing strings, and pop out for a fresh one.

Of course, I might have to slow it down a wee bit. Could you imagine real .50 rounds coming at you at the GasMac's ROF?

Hmmmmmm.....

(So many people want a self-contained M2HB gun, I'm working on a design, even though there's no real-steel equiv.)

You might want to look into the Legendary Sniper Carlos Hathcock's rifles. IIRC, one of his longest range kills was made possible with a heavily modified M2H. I've personally tried to look for references on what he did to an M2H to make it into a sniper rifle, but failed to find any good references or pics.

This is what I can guess from the best of my ability:

1. Has some sort of scope or optic on a special mount

2. Possibly modded to semi only

3. Possibly modded to be closed bolt for better accuracy

4. Either has a lightened tripod mount for the sniper rifle, or is modded to have a a pistol grip, stock, carrying handle, and bipod like the M1919 A6, or just a standard mount and tripod

5. Possibly modded to be one man portable

6. Possibly modded to use a rifle trigger rather than the spade triggers

From Wiki

In 1967 Hathcock set the record for the 20th century's longest combat kill with a Browning M2 .50 BMG machine gun mounting a telescopic sight. The distance was 2,286 meters or 1.42 miles. Hathcock was one of several individuals to utilize the Browning M2 machine gun in the sniping role. This success led to the adoption of the .50 BMG cartridge as a viable anti-personnel and anti-equipment sniper round. Sniper rifles have since been designed around and chambered in this caliber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock

Either way, that one be one bad a$$ and unique looking sniper rifle on the field.

Cheers

Romel

Sheet steel, an angle grinder, drill, and a welder, all you need to make the shell of an M2. Yes it will be heavy, but there will be no need to be carfull with it once it's built.

But if you are thinking of moving it around then mabye PVC is better, I only use mine and Catmans when it's mounted on my old landrover now, can't be bothered moving it around myself.

IMGP6247.jpg

Archived