Brightening a ghillie?

Nihil_75

Hi,

Just bought a new ghillie, after making the first one I figured paying 80$ for a complete one

is a fair trade...

Only problem is, its woodland and way darker then I thought it would be.

I want to brighten it a bit to a level between woodland and desert.

Its made of artificial jute.

Anyone tried this before?

I thought about using bleach but dont know how it would work...

Any ideas/tips are welcome.

I would stay away from the bleach, it may completely mess up the colours or just dissolve the synthetics.

Instead leave it outside (in the bright sun preferably) for a couple of days or even a few weeks to have the weather and sunlight work on the colours. Or touch it up with some Krylon to brighten it up even faster. Or just wear it in toroughly on your local field, picking up dust and dirt while you stalk around the place.

good idea.

But I think a bit of bleach would speed up the sunbath :)

or maybe some lemon juice...

I would also suggest staying away from bleach, you may find bits start falling off...

But i guess lemon juice would work well. Keep it out in the sun as much as you can, or if your going to use bleach etc, apply it in a fine spray and only a little.

Washing it bucket loads of times would work i guess

Tbh... try dragging it around in the dirt. I read a story once where someone dragged their Ghillie around behind a truck for a few miles, get it messed up and really allow the dirt to 'scratch' away and get it well used.

Might be a bit extreme... but i guess it depends on how well the suit is made... Anyway, the more messed up it is, the better imo hehe

That would work bella, but you would have to be carefull, if it has been made using the loose weeve in hessian/ burlap it can come off and break the washing machine. (clog up the filters and bearings etc.)

Best thing to do is use an old style twin tub or older washing machine. They should be around for about 20quid from 2nd hand shops or markets.

its very hard to lighten a ghillie.

if you do weather it and leave it out it will only slightly lighten it,and i mean slightly.

as said stay away from bleech,i dout it would damage it to badly but will result in quite bright colour,that you may not want,alot of the suits are bleeched then dyed after.

you are always told to make your ghillies lighter as you can darken them with foliage,but its twice as hard to lighten them.

I had the same problem when i was making ghillie suits earlier this year.

the only way ifound to get an overall light colour was to bleach the burlap BEFORE you dye it

(which is out of the question for you.) this way it doesnt damage the material as taragon suggested.

and gliderrider i cant see why you would EVER put your ghillie in the washing machine.

if you bleach AFTER it has been dyed then yes the colours will end up odd shades of orange and other

undesirable colours.

i also tried spraying a suit using lighter shades of green, this worked to a small degree but didnt

get anywhere near as good a result as when you bleach plain burlap and then dye.

I belive you got the wrong end of his stick doc.... he is in israel, and im guessing his ghillie is too dark for the semi arid surroundings. Thus he wishes to lighten it down to blend in more with the surroundings, not add foliage as one can to a ghillie in ths country to blend. In that environment, the base is just too dark in the case of most readymade bases designed for temperate conditions.

Well, some conclusions :

Tried bleach. didn't work.

Tried harder (ALOT of bleach), still no effect whats-or-ever!

This synthetic fabric is tough! it should have disintegrated by now!

So, no go.

And I dont think suntanning will brighten it up enough...

Like Belladonna said, there isn't much foliage around here to brighten it up with, and even if I do use some, there are

still parts in the ghillie that are dyed black and just "stand out".

I think these black parts are the main issue, and I'll try changing them with strands from my old ghillie like many of you said.

Plus, I wear ACU under it and I hope it will brighten things up a bit further...

If all fails... I can always wait for winter when all's green... :)

cover yourself in glue, and roll in the dersert :D

Use fly paper, or even better, go with a nice rough sand paper. :P

On a more serious note: If your ghillie is too dark, it is probably best to remove the dark patches completely. Black is not a colour you should use, as your apparel, makes its own shadows, without you adding more and making it darker.

Like aswaffield points out; I would use hessian sacks (potato sacks), as the main building material and finish the suit with a wire brush to make it fuzzy. I would keep the amount of material minimal and try to knot the material to get it to sit more 3D, than just hang downwards. Have you got a picture of the site (show us the colours and type of terrain involved)?

Good Hunting ;)

think semi arid scrubland bushman. More sand with the occasional patch of scrubby vegetation, switching to larger patches of green.

Looked at the IDF sniper suits nihil? thier desert suits are VERY very good for vanishing where nobody expects you to go :P remember, hiding in that one patch of scrub is a dead giveaway XD

On a more serious note: If your ghillie is too dark, it is probably best to remove the dark patches completely. Black is not a colour you should use, as your apparel, makes its own shadows, without you adding more and making it darker.

Couldn't agree more.

Thing is I bought this ghillie, didn't make it.

The greens are ok, think that if I just replace the black patches with strands from my

old hessian self-made suite it will work ok.

As for color in this are, my old suite was yellow+brown (mostly natural burlap color) and it

was superb.

heres a pic of my old ghillie (and me being lazy :D ):

IMG_0012.jpg

Well, some conclusions :

Tried bleach. didn't work.

Tried harder (ALOT of bleach), still no effect whats-or-ever!

This synthetic fabric is tough! it should have disintegrated by now!

So, no go.

And I dont think suntanning will brighten it up enough...

Like Belladonna said, there isn't much foliage around here to brighten it up with, and even if I do use some, there are

still parts in the ghillie that are dyed black and just "stand out".

I think these black parts are the main issue, and I'll try changing them with strands from my old ghillie like many of you said.

Plus, I wear ACU under it and I hope it will brighten things up a bit further...

If all fails... I can always wait for winter when all's green... :)

spray paint might work...

• 2 weeks later...

it worked for me, except i was adding light green to a tan ghillie. And it if you separate the strands after painting it will not stay matted up. But you can always leaved matted as it gives an interesting texture which works well in some envirnmets. However your best bet would be to replace the darkest pieces w/ natural or light colured burlap(or whatever material you prefer)

Archived