ICS SA80 A2 (L85 A2)

The only other thing that comes to mind is the upper and lower receiver contacts managing to seperate. The design has some inherent upper/lower flex, which is why the upper receiver electrical contacts are sprung loaded but they only go so far. I would test this by flexing the gun, or the upper away from the lower clockwise and see if that inteferes, if it does then check that the upper contacts can move down fully. You can mod the housing by filing some of the plastic away too to allow the contacts to sit lower.

Only other things that spring to mind is potential shorting of the connectors against the receiver or motor upchucking itself.

Since it is about time for me to buy a new rifle, I have been eyeing the L85 by ICS. I have a few questions I want answered before I proceed:

1. How bad is the double feeding issue on the gun? What mags does it work well with and which ones doesn't it?

2. I have read a few places about the tappet plate breaking, or other issues with them coming 20-minute-OOTB breakages. Anybody on here heard of one such problem from a reliable source?

3. I have heard a few niggles with the electrical trigger mechanism. Why is this a criticized part? Is it really worth fretting over?

1) never had a problem with double feeding, brand wise i use mag, classic army and magpul all midcaps

2) Never seen it happen or heard of it either

3) As you can see from my above posts Ive had a problem with the lower conatcs burning out, the new set only turned up yesterday so wll have to see how long they last.

Over all though I love this AEG, range is good, ROF is good, build quality is fantastic and of course it looks the dogs danglys

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to check your hop unit first.

Depending on the 'gen' of the L85 you might be able to fit a normal inner barrel or you might need someone to machine some C clip lugs into a standard barrel for you. My L85 was one of the first in the UK and I found the inner barrel had C clip groves that were wider than normal and further up the barrel.

At present I have tried a PDI 6.05 472mm barrel (bit shorter than stock, you can fit a 509 though this will be ever so slightly into the flashider) and I've got a Madbull 60 degree rubber running with a black H nub, I've previously tried a white one and I think this gives slightly better results on full auto at range.

With any luck it should, I think there was a mass outcry of "Whhhhy?" when people discovered the proprietary hop unit/barrel so by the time the LSW was released it was modified to accept standard barrels. I can't see ICS producing an L85 and L86 specific hop unit so all post LSW release SA80s should be 'standard' barrel compatible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My l85a2 needed a little touch up with lubing the magazine and hop up when i got it, but now it is a beast. It consistently fires about 400 fps and can hit a man sized target accurately up to 160 ft. The only problem is that with .2's the bbs tend to curve up. Besides that, this is the greatest gun i have ever bought and i plan to buy more ics guns.