Different powers to different real life calibers?

alston251

I think thats called an "opinion".

Uhuh,

Just like it's an "opinion" that the german economy would improve if they got rid of all the jews. ;)

Seriously, I really don't see what people think is so hard about this.

Put the original Marui spring back in all your SMGs (or buy a Marui spring & piston for £5) and you're already most of the way there.

I really can't see how the same people who would cheerily ban hicaps on the grounds of realism or or improving play can refute this idea without being hypocritical.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just like it's an "opinion" that the german economy would improve if they got rid of all the jews. ;)

Ahahaha. I knew there would be a nazism reference coming. I don't know how, I just knew it was. Although i'm not sure disagreeing with a style of airsoft quite matches premoting mass genocide...

I'm entirely with Evansy. Limiting FPS to Calibre won't make people play to thier weapon type, it'll cause an arms race where they instinctively buy 7.62+ to use higher limits. New players are power-hungry enough with flat 350 limits.

I'm entirely with Evansy. Limiting FPS to Calibre won't make people play to thier weapon type, it'll cause an arms race where they instinctively buy 7.62+ to use higher limits. New players are power-hungry enough with flat 350 limits.

But that still doesn't actually offer a valid reason for why this isn't a good idea.

Again, it's kinda like saying we should all be happy with hicaps simply cos new players are all gonna buy em anyway.

FWIW, unless I'm mistaken (:unsure:), I don't think anybody's advocating making this compulsory (even though, in an ideal world I think it might be fun if it was) but, rather, that it's something that could be done to enhance more complex games where stuff like ammo-limits and medic rules are already in place.

Geez,

I've been saying this for years.

280fps for pistols and SMGs that use a pistol round.

330fps for Assault rifles that use 5.56mm (ish) rounds.

370fps for Main Battle rifles that use 7.62 (ish) rounds.

500fps for sniper rifles.

Site limits: 500 fps in woodland. 300 fps in CQB.

Object of excercise: To force people to field weapons suitable for the environmental and mission requirements.

Job done.

*EDIT*

Obviously, we wouldn't be applying any "3 shots from a pistol for a kill" nonsense.

Like it. I dreamt up something similar the other day (when I way to much free time...), except I said only full-length rifles (M16, G3, G36 etc) and support guns are allowed 370, to reward players for lugging a huge gun around and simulate their greater effective range in real life.

I also said the CQB full auto FPS limit should be 330, to allow for the fact that in real life, M4s, G36Cs etc are used on FA indoors. Other guns are limited to semi-only (it's just daft to say that powerful rifles can't fire indoors...but safety has to come into play somewhere).

I would absolutely love to play a game with these rules, along with medics and real-cap magazines :).

Stu.

I also said the CQB full auto FPS limit should be 330, to allow for the fact that in real life, M4s, G36Cs etc are used on FA indoors. Other guns are limited to semi-only (it's just daft to say that powerful rifles can't fire indoors...but safety has to come into play somewhere).

FWIW, it's entirely likely that this would be the case in real life.

During limited warfare and LE operations the personnel will often revert to SMGs or low velocity rounds in order to avoid issues with over-penetration.

Start shooting at terrorists in an office building with a 5.56mm round and you'll end up shooting through every internal wall and, possibly, exterior ones as well.

I know it's slightly contrived but the idea would be to force people to make decisions about their load-out.

With the limits I came up with, for example, you're allowed a maximum of 300fps in CQB.

Do you build an M4 that shoots 300fps and use it for woodland AND CQB or do you max it out at 330fps for woodland and carry an additional weapon specifically for CQB?

Again, it's not the sort of thing you'd want to sort out on the day.

It's the sort of thing where an event would make it clear these limits ARE going to be in force and it'd be up to teams and squads to sort out their kit beforehand.

If you have a SAW gunner, do you allow him to run at 330fps (or 370 if it's an M60) and then have NO SAW support in CQB or do you tune your SAWs to 300fps so they can be used in CQB?

You can't expect a SAW gunner to carry another weapon (aside from a sidearm) so maybe other members of the team carry weapons fot eh SAW gunners to use in CQB?

Same sort of thing applies to a DMR user.

Alternatively, do your team all run maxed-out rifles and then revert to pistols for CQB?

Just creates an extra level of planning and coordination BEFORE the event even begins.

During limited warfare and LE operations the personnel will often revert to SMGs or low velocity rounds in order to avoid issues with over-penetration.

Start shooting at terrorists in an office building with a 5.56mm round and you'll end up shooting through every internal wall and, possibly, exterior ones as well.

9mm overpenetrates more than 5.56, thats why many armed LE units and CT groups use short rifles over SMGs for close quarters these days. A 5.56 has the tendency to tumble and fragment on impact with bodies or walls and loses its energy quickly, the 9mm is more of a slug that keeps travelling.

The whole point is fairly moot considering the variety of different flavours each calibre comes in though. Which further complicates the calibre to fps theory.

Archived