Airsoft IPSC

happy.al

Does anyone do Airsoft IPSC in the UK? I would like to know more information about it, with the view to possible try to setup a local game so that I and others in my area can try it out. I know the basics, so it’s more of the airsoft specifics that I’m looking for, e.g. do airsoft shoot at the same size target? How is it scored? Etc.

I would like to keep the costs to a minimum as if no one likes it and we don’t do it again it’ll be a waste. For the first game I probably won’t buy a timer, but if it takes off I would like one, which one do people recommend? Does airsoft use the same timers as real steal shooters?

As you might tell I’m fairly new to the world of IPSC but it looks fun so I want to try it out.

As and when I find infomation I'll add it to this thread, just some if anyone else is interested they can also find the infomation.

I'm only interested in the standard guns too, I never use my airsoft pistols but keep collecting them because they are cool. I really want to put them to use, and this seems perfect.

I've found this UK based website http://www.practicalairsoft.co.uk/sitemap.asp

Also some HK based websites, but still nothing that tells me the rules in basic English.

Well i did have a plan to make a UK based pistols event, not exactly ISPC but more just a run and gun with targets and penalties, some which are also based on real techniques like double tapping a target then hitting a can placed above the target to simulate a 2+1 type kill.

'FireKnife'

The Italian IPSC Federation has officially instituted an Airsoft Section in 2008.

They had a shooting/engagement booth at the EXA Gun Show in Brescia Italy (home of Beretta since 1526). I attended the show in 2008 and had a go in the booth.

I do not shoot IPSC real steel , but it is my understanding that the Airsoft version:

(1) uses scaled down targets (practically identical to real steel IPSC) and shortened engagement distances to reflect the reduced power and range of the guns compared to their real steel counterparts;

(2) the rules have changed to reflect the different technical issues as for example ammunition. Airsoft IPSC Italy only allows 0.20g/0.25g Black bbs to cancel out the tracer effect caused by white bbs which allows shooters to correct their aim by "walking" the rounds into the targeted area. Also the backstops and ground covers are black so that the bbs are not seen in flight.

They explained that IPSC Italy organises competitions in school gymnasiums or local public footbal pitches (soccer fields for our US friends) all around the country.

Here is a brochure of the first event held with some self explanatory diagrams of how the competition was set up (scroll down when opened): http://www.fitds.it/Joomla_1013/_dati/Gara...0_luglio_08.pdf

FITDS - www.fitds.it (is the Italian Prac Shtng Federation, part of IPSC).

IAPS - www.airsoft-shooting.org (nothing to do with IPSC but good place to surf around).

AAPS - www.aaps-federation.org (again nothing to do with IPSC but a good place if ur in USA).

(Nice thing about "International" Federations is that prety much everyone has rules with a more "local" flavour. So much for doctrinal homogeneity as my GP says :P ).

From what i have seen: pistols under 1j, most are TM. Most were modified with the real IPSC qualified accessories. Holters/mag pouches at the EXA booth were 100% real IPSC.

I will add as i find more. ;)

As of January 2009, Airsoft-IPSC has been officially recognized by IPSC under the name "Action Air". The official rules – adapted for Airsoft use – can be found at http://www.ipsc.org. Any Airsoft shooting competition that says "IPSC" on it should follow these rules.

The target height is 2/3 of the real IPSC target size. This means that the surface area is only 40%. An out-of-the-box TM gas gun is able to reliably hit the A-area out to 15 meters, so hitting the target from the typical 3–7 meter distances is not a matter of tuning your gun.

Having shot Airsoft-IPSC in Hong Kong with these rules for two years (although it was not officially recognized back then), I can say that the rules work really well and provide a fair competition and good shooting challenge. They measure the skill of the shooter with less emphasis on gear – I've won stages and matches with basic TM gas guns. You do not need an expensive custom gun to do well.

The rules allow to simulate real IPSC (which I also shoot) very well, and only necessary changes (reduced target size and engagement distance, no Power Factor, using a stop plate etc.) were made so it's possible to follow the rules while using Airsoft guns. I used this sport to prepare for the IPSC World Shoot in Bali, and despite a malfunctioning pistol I was able to place 187th. Videos of the six-day compo here:

Days 1–3:

Days 4–6:

My other videos also show IPSC shooting with Airsoft guns.

Cheers,

Sauli

Archived