Gearbox Problems

jond36

I have had the same issue with two of my guns now. One is a ICS and one a JG. Both guns try to turn over the spring but can't turn it over. The springs are stock springs too. :huh: The batteries are brand new 9.6 intellect 1600 mah NiMh. It trys to turn over the spring and is getting power because it tends to overheat the fuse/battery area.

Am I charging my batteries wrong? Using a smart charger (but slow charge).

Shims are good.

Motor height is good.

Metal bushings installed.

any other ideas??

Hate to say it mate, but your intellect batteries may already have taken a *suitcase* on you. Something about the internal chemistry in their cells is really unstable. Every single intellect pack made with their mini cells has died on me. I've run through 4 of them, 1 I purchased new, and 3 that came with guns I bought. Give it a shot with another pack if you've got one handy.

I'm an elite guy myself. Nothing but good experiences with them.

I have had the same issue with two of my guns now. One is a ICS and one a JG. Both guns try to turn over the spring but can't turn it over. The springs are stock springs too. :huh: The batteries are brand new 9.6 intellect 1600 mah NiMh. It trys to turn over the spring and is getting power because it tends to overheat the fuse/battery area.

Am I charging my batteries wrong? Using a smart charger (but slow charge).

Shims are good.

Motor height is good.

Metal bushings installed.

any other ideas??

always fast charge NiHMS to get the best out of them, Were the batteries warm when you removed them from charge?

The batteries are ok because they turned my CYMA CM049 ok.

And the noise sounds like a half cocked piston the first trigger pull. After that, you can tell the motor wants to turn but can't. (both in semi and auto)

Similar with JG, but doesn't half cock. From the second the trigger is pulled it doesn't wanna turn and overheats the fuse and battery.

Hate to say it mate, but your intellect batteries may already have taken a *suitcase* on you. Something about the internal chemistry in their cells is really unstable. Every single intellect pack made with their mini cells has died on me. I've run through 4 of them, 1 I purchased new, and 3 that came with guns I bought. Give it a shot with another pack if you've got one handy.

I'm an elite guy myself. Nothing but good experiences with them.

THIS

Stock pistons? Its unlikely, but I have, on occasion seen pistons that did not run smoothly at all (locking up the gearbox). This was due to them being slightly to fat and fouling on the tracks in the gearbox.

Try taking the cylinder out and moving the piston by hand. If there is allot of resistance and the piston dose not move freely that maybe your problem.

Okay, since you seem to be struggling with this.....

You've got batteries that work well in other AEGs that are as powerful as these ones, right?

I mean, it's not like your Cyma 049 has an M80 spring in it and the ICS and JG guns are fitted with M130s or summat?

If it was me, the first thing I'd do would be to pop the rear receiver pin on the ICS gun, hinge the upper forward and see if the gears spin when you pull the trigger.

Incidentally, at the same time you should try rolling the sector gear with your thumb (with the safety on). The gears should be hard to spin but not impossible.

If the gears spin then you know the gun is doing something.

The next thing I'd do would be to whip out the cylinder and shove a long, thin, screwdriver down the nozzle to ensure that the piston can move properly.

If the gears are spinning OK and the piston can move OK then there are only two remaining possibilities:-

1) There's a mechanical jam somewhere.

2) There's an electrical fault.

Look at the piston.

Does the first tooth look particularly mangled?

If it does, you might have a problem with Angle-Of-Engagement.

Basically, that means that the piston is a little too far forward and the sector gear is having to make a huge effort to pull it back.

If this IS the problem you need to shim the piston.

If that's not the case then it might be something wrong with the gears.

To check this properly you will need to remove the lower gearbox.

With that removed the gears should spin pretty freely. If there are ANY tight spots it'll cause a problem.

Lastly there's the motor height.

If the motor height is too tight it can cause the gun to lock-up.

Electrically, the ICS M4 has a couple of weak points.

Try a different motor in the gun and see if it works.

The electrical contacts on the selector plate can overheat and cause the plate to melt which creates a poor connection.

Either replace the selector plate or bypass the electrical safety.

Replace tamiya connectors with Deans one.

If none of this reveals any problems, call a priest and get an exorcism done. :P

Seriously, I'm sorry I'm in the UK.

I know some people don't like ICS M4s because they're not what they're used to but they're actually very good guns once you know what you're doing and I'm sure it could easily be fixed after a bit of careful inspection.

If none of this reveals any problems, call a priest and get an exorcism done. :P

lol. I am getting close to that. I figure I am obviously not the best tech, but now I have had 2 techs look at it and they have no clue. One said the magnetism is starting to fade on the motor. Does that seem right though? It has only been used once.

edit: also to clarify the gears move freely and spin properly when there is no upper. It worked for a short term on auto on 11volts then locked up. Then tried 15volts and it still wouldn't unjam itself.

So wait, are you saying the motor is spinning the gears when there is no upper, or are you doing it by hand? If the motor can spin the gears without a problem, then maybe you should take a look at the piston/cylinder/spring and see if any of them are doing something weird. It could be that the piston is irregular and is too tight in the gearbox causing unnecessary strain on the motor; happened to me once, it drove me crazy until I figured out what the hell was going on. I ended up having to hand down a little bit of the guides on the piston so it would cycle freely.

:D I think we are getting closer. Yes the gears move free with the motor or by hand.

I took apart the upper half of the split GB but to be honest I am not as good with pistons as I am with other parts. I'll have a tech look through the piston and upper a bit closer. Thanks.

BTW, It is driving me crazy too.

• 2 weeks later...

so all who where interested, I got my gun back repaired. Apparently the new motor lost all its magnetism <_< and the upper had issues like you guys said. It just would not seat right. The seal was bad on it as well.

Anyhow, thanks for all your help. It only cost me $75-$100 to repair a brand new gun. :P

Archived