MOLLE pouch for Mk5s

TheFull9

Greetings all, just a quick gear related question.

My next skirmish will be the first one in which I've used any pyros, and while pouch wise smoke grenades are easy enough to cater for I'm struggling a little bit to decide on which type of MOLLE pouch to use for my Mk5s. I'm placing an order with UK Tactical fairly soon anyway so I figure a WAS pouch would make sense, I'm looking at one of these at the moment:

http://www.uktactical.com/acatalog/Warrior...lare_Pouch.html

Apparently designed to hold M127A1 parachute illumination flares and similar models, but no dimensions are given. I know the pyros themselves are 195mm x 25mm and I did look up the M127, but while there is some basic info available I was unable to secure any sizing data. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hmm, all good points well presented, think I'll just pick up one of these:

http://www.uktactical.com/acatalog/Medium_...al_Utility.html

I'm 95% it'll be tall enough, even if not I'm sure the mk5s will fit in diagonally, and I can bung all my other 'general' kit in there, should work out nicely. Cheers guys.

So you would take the safety caps off your pyros so they fit into your pouches better.... Accident waiting to happen.

Plus if its raining and they get wet they'll be rendered useless which I've seen happen a few times. I tend to go for Mk3's which are smaller, cheaper and get the same result (a 5m kill radius). But If I use Mk5's then a 5.56 pouch on my vest will quite happily house them untill I decide to scare my unsuspecting victim with a loud unexpected bang :P

Josh

So you would take the safety caps off your pyros so they fit into your pouches better.... Accident waiting to happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do the MK5's not use a safetey match type surface for the striker? So should be quite safe as it will only light when the striker is used?

But as other have said, an M4 sized pouch should hold a fair few.

Point noted, Darthwhite.

After hearing those stories it seems that maybe relying on the the safety striker isn't that safe and the cap is necessary. And the smoke going off in the pocket.. I think I'll make sure i keep the caps on and put them in a different pouch instead, possible just an M4 pouch.

Being that my whole job revolves around explosives and the safe storage and transportation of them, I'd be very inclined to agree with darthwhite. I've seen a lot of people who spend all day around ex get far too complacent and start treating dangerous goods like they're lego bricks and find to chuck around. Airsoft type pyros are far more of a fire hazard than an actual explosive blast type, but being as we all store them in nylon pouches that makes them especially dangerous if improperly treated.

At any rate, thanks for everyone's suggestions in the thread, I've got hold of a nice WAS medium GP pouch for my Mk5s now, along with a dedicated smoke grenade pouch, both of which hold their intended pyros (with safety caps of course) very safely and securely.

Archived