Rappelling in Airsoft?

Johnny Mad

How many troops do room clearing carrying bergens?

Bergens are not assault order mate :) They'd be dropped for the fighting and recovered post-contact.

This is a compilation of exercises blended together to make a "film" - it shows British troops clearly using ladders (04.13 and at other points) to take what looks to me like Eastmere FIBUA village.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, kinda late I discovered this thread !

Anyways,concerning rappelling in airsoft skirmishes,

This little clip was shot on a skirmish some time ago and was subsequently posted on one of the major airsoftsites over here in Belgium,

There were a few guys that didn't see anything wrong with this and the situation that was played out here... 99 % of the guys, wanted to tear these guys a new A**hole I think...

The consensus was that if you couldn't do it safe and responsible with the right equipment and instructors/people with the right knowledge on this type of stuff, then you shouldn't do it at all...

If the last two guys that descended fell flat on their backs, then bad, bad things would have happened. for everybody concerned.

The rope has been removed since that particular thread appeared and people have been discouraged, hopefully forbidden, to crawl, rappel,climb,jump out of windows... for their own personal safety...

fun and safety, safety and fun.

How many troops do room clearing carrying bergens?

Bergens are not assault order mate :) They'd be dropped for the fighting and recovered post-contact.

This is a compilation of exercises blended together to make a "film" - it shows British troops clearly using ladders (04.13 and at other points) to take what looks to me like Eastmere FIBUA village.

Hi Signal I wasnt denying the Use of ladders, i was referring to your line about heaving equipment etc when scaling a building, for some reason i took your post a little too literally, and thought you meant full bergans, webbing, weapons etc. There was a good clip on Ross Kemp in Afghnistan where troops were doing FIBUA and you do see the ladders in use, you even see one trooper stumble over it/trip over it as he runs it from building to building. :D

and to blablabla thanks for posting that clip, but i would hardly call it rappelling? more like kids trying to be action men. reminds me more of trying to climb trees with bits of rope as opposed to a full on rappell from a height. what they were doing amounted as an exagerrated attempt of climbing from a window that would have been better off just being jumped from. (IE sat on the ledge and lowering as far as arms would allow before dropping, or just sitting on ledge and pushing out) the use of the rope just seemed pointless. but that is my opnion and i do not wish to upset the apple cart

That clip is hilarious for several reasons:

1) You guys know that you have slings, right? They are relatively new inventions, granted, but you can carry your rifle on your back now.

2) Face wall, gently lower yourself out of window feet first until you cannot lower any more, then let go and bend knees on impact.

3) Alternatively, hold rope, brace legs against wall and slowly walk backwards.

A large airsoft event that spans multiple acres over mountains or with cliffs I could see rappelling coming into play especially if you were looking at taking an OPFOR by suprise or just looking to shave time off traveling a longer route to reach your objective, which would likely be more defended. However, how many airsoft milsim events do you have that would give you that kind of opportunity where the enemy wouldn't be right on top of you allowing you to rig everything and do it safely?

Fast roping...no way. Not in any Western nation are you going to pull that off as part of a game. As a staged event that is carefully scripted maybe, but not working it into a free flow of game play. Be cool, but that's as unlikely as using a vehicle to smash through a wall or other things we see in "real combat" vs. let's have a game where nobody gets injured or killed. Professionals in the military get hurt al the time fast roping, rappelling, doing airborn drops for training, and so forth. I wouldn't mind the risk, but you know someone would get hurt and they or their surviving family would sue the bejeebers out of everyone they could plus run around talking about how dangerous airsoft is to anyone in the media who would listen. Suddenly airsoft would have to be banned for "our own good."

Find a nation that has real strong protection protecting people from civil lawsuits maybe you could make it work. US or the UK though...forget about it.

Archived