Best 1911A1

r4m60kill

There may be exceptions, which only confirm the rule: You get what you pay for.

And from my experience with all people around using many different GBBs, that the cheaper versions have their point and benefits, but they are more likely to have malfunctions.

KJ is mostly bad feedback after enthusiastic impressions in the beginning with full metal and nice blowback (it's still diecast)

WE is the same (if we talk about the standard WEs and not something mixed up with WETTI). The finish scratches just from the looks and metal also only dicast. But well for the price, not premium though (the WETTI 1911 Knighthawk (this golfball looking thing) was quite an impression, I have to say, goes into the right direction … but also a bit poor fabrication quality)

Bell and Army may be excellent budget replicas that might work fine, but to a Mini Cooper S there's still a Porsche Turbo out there to chase. If you like the Mini Power, nothings wrong with it.

Marui: Obviously considered standard and reference model. So there must be something to it … though all plastic but therefore cycling well. And to all nobraniacs out there trying to use this with green gas … you don't put diesel in a gasoline car eighter, do you? You use that, what the gun is supposed to take. Otherwise of course it will break. Marui to me seems the best choice. A bit higher in price, but very usable and well perfoming out of box. And you have the best basis if you decide to uprade it with metal and high performance parts.

WA: I can't say much about the Magna. Once had a 1911A1 SpecOps (with this huge silencer) in hand and shot it: Not impressive at all. I found the Marui to be superior to that. Otherwise using my Warrior and Marsoc SCW-models Marui hasn't any chance in stock or lightly upgraded version. Weight, finish, kick and performance are excellent. But this performance has its price of course. For that you'll get a Marui with Guarder kit. To me more collector's or competition shooting pieces than skirm models droping on the ground, rubbing in dirt and getting scratches all over it.

The best is, what you consider the best for you:

Price value: Of course something from the upper listings with full metal

Reliability and potential: Definitely the Marui as excellent basis out of the box and with biggest aftermarket supply

The Ferrari: a Western Arms SCW model. They lately announced quite some WW2- and after WW2 authenticly licenced models. To make it a Tuned up Ferrari, there's Prime metal uprade … maybe the most exquisit and expensive choice to make and probably not playable anymore to most people.

My personal recommendation: Marui with upgrading options.

By the way: Are we talking about more classic 1911A1 design or also modern 1911 models like the MEU, Desert Warrior etc.? If you like the design, I'd have a look on the WETTI Knighthawk. This is quite a breakout from standard WE models. Internally I cannot say much, but the finish significantly more robust, not painted but more of powdercoating. And it reliable, too, as I figured with my model. Was quite impressing as I'm normally not a fan of WE products.

Marui would offer the the choice of MEU and Desert Warrior, and as announced on the latest Shizuoka Hobby Fair, a Nightwarrior:

zrruda2m.jpg

WE has a ton on MEU versions and I guess the Novak Next and Wilson Combat licensed model.

With KJ, Bell, Army and the others I'm not up to date …

I've owned at least ten 1911's, from Marui, WE, Maruzen, and Western Arms. I can't speak for the other brands, but you go WE if you want the cheap full metal goodness with good kick (primarily for skirmishing), Marui if you want absolute reliability, ease of upgrading, and low cost of aftermarket parts (also primarily for skirmishing, but you have the option of upgrading it later), and Western Arms if you want something collectible (as it is the pinnacle of realism, down to the tilting barrel, decocking ability, half-cock, etc.). Forget Maruzen-I could not believe how plasticky and cheap the 8mm version felt. The frame bends and creaks around.

Marui is IMHO the most sensible opinion, because you get the vast aftermarket support whilst still having a perfectly skirmishable and collectible gun. Be aware though, Marui does not have features like a tilting barrel, or a trigger that completely resets if you pull it halfway like a real gun should, as WA 1911's do.

WE's, while good value, are not the most accurate replicas. For instance, some (if not all) of their MEU models lack a flared ejection port, which actually SHOULD be there according to the real steel gun. On one WE MEU I owned, the trademarks on the frame read "Senesed", instead of "Geneseo", where real Springfield Armory guns are made. Their Novak Next is also completely inaccurate. For a collector like me, that's a deal breaker.

In my experience, Western Arms parts are getting fewer and farther between, which may be the reason why Western Arms guns have skyrocketed in price (maybe WA realizes the aftermarket support isn't there anymore, so they go the extra mile for even more realism and authenticity to make the guns more appealing? Who knows.) But as far as realism, looks, feel, fit, finish, and solid kick (also comes with a factory metal barrel and tightbore), Western Arms wins hands down in my book. Just be prepared for sticker shock on some of the newer models. Some of them cost as much as a real, used 1911.

Oh my, waited 5min after pressing reply button... Forums still slow?

At one point I thought WA was the pinnacle of GBB's, best of the best... Sadly, i bought one. Back then, the kick was kinda nice, fast and crisp with Green Gas. The fun didnt last very long. One by one the gun selfdestructed, mostly due to GG, one by one i bought new parts and slowly the gun started losing performance. The original hopup blew itself to bits pretty much instantly, Sheriff LRB kept me going quite nice. The sheer amount it took to build that gun was hilarious and i ended up with a pretty peperweight.

Lucky for me, all the "cool kids" had WA guns, so i sold my gun in parts and got allmost all my money back. I've spent quite a long while around this sport and so far, i've seen very few WA guns that really work. Keep it stock, keep it on TM fart-gas and no problemo, but upgrade it, and you're doomed. And did i mention full metal kits alone cost 600 camels and half your kingdom.

Nowdays every used WA gun you find posted here has "issues" or are simply sold as spare parts when the owner gave up. I've tried one of those "working WA guns", quite nice, neat, fast kick, 320fps... aaaaaannnndddd! Cost only a mere 800euros. I must admit, it felt fun shooting my second hand used hi-capa next to it.

I will NEVER buy a WA gun, ever. I would decline if one was given to me.

My second dont-try-this-at-home-kids-story is a WE. One of those "get everything for cheap" -things

WE M1911C, black, no trades, butt-ugly "ivory" grips, stay away from one. Nice clean kick, nice fps, mags seem to work, no leaks, looks pretty, full metal and upgraded. Only downside, WAY too heavy slide. Single stack mag, so theres very little room for juice, add the massive weight of the slide and your looking at a about 10 rounds and big "puuf!" from the chamber.

Simply freezez, yellow gas keeps you going for few more then 10 rounds, but wont save the day. Unless you play at the center of the sun, youl notice the cooling after first two shots.

I still miss my good old Capa, pity i sold it. Nowdays i actually skirmish with Guarder-metalkitted DE.50, cause a DE owner can allways say "mine is bigger then yours"

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say go with either a Marui M1911A1 or the Tercel. If price is of concern, then the Tercel definitely. Marui is more accurate by far but is limited in realism.

the Tercel is full metal, weighs a HELL of a lot more than the Marui, and kicks like a mule. I know that's unlikely for a $60 pistol, but hey, I was surprised too. It weighs close to the real M1911A1s I've handled and does a pretty good job impersonating one too. (other than the white etched trades- blacken those) The recoil is the best on any airsoft M1911/Hicapa I've ever used. Even though its crisp, it slams backwards into your hand on every shot. Gas efficiency, surprisingly, is very good. It can empty a full mag on duster (I know, wtf?) and on green. The first time I fired it (got it slightly used) I asked if it was running green gas and the guy said no, its on duster. That was a real shock- the thing kicks!

The only other downside is accuracy. The hop-up is a POS. If you're using it as a CQB weapon only, its plenty accurate out to 30 feet. But past that you want a new bucking.

It can empty a full mag on duster (I know, wtf?) and on green.

Duster gas will ALLWAYS give you more shots than green because of the vapor preassure beeing lower. It is good to know that the tercel can still function on duster as SOME full metal guns need the power of green to make them go.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived