warm kit

Hewes

Hi all, i need some advice, ive got a good idea of what i want but i cant find any reviews online, i need some better warm kit, at the moment im using a snugpak sleeka jacket under my smock, but i fear that when the winter rolls round its gonna get real chilly when im on ranges/ stag etc. i was thinking about the snugpak windshirt and the snugpak sasquatch, this way ive got a combination of warm kit to choose from.

has anyone had these items, or has anyone got something they use and would recommend?

it cant be too bulky or heavy, so no parkas or massive jackets, ive got to carry this stuff round, cheers

NFM Baja Smock is a great jacket for...anything....

I wore it last winter with just a t-shirt underneath at -20c in a snowstorm. Didn't get wet, didn't get cold.

- And this is a NyCo smock that is approx 3mm thick.

Best jacket I ever owned, and I use it year 'round. :)

Hi Hewes, I own a Sasquatch and telling you now they are pretty bulky, you pretty much look like the michelin man in it :P, and with the hood on it, its uncomfortable when wearing your smock and webbing.

I've only ever worn mine own stag a few times when it was cold conditions (-10C), I probably looked like a cock in it but its seriously warm (rated for -20C i think) Also worn it on exercise when dress code was pretty relaxed. Hope that helps :)

This past winter when I was in the field I wore Patagonia fleece with a Wild Things High Loft Jacket. I looked online but they don't have the Coyote High Loft on their web site but the Multicam one is the same jacket. The Hood is removable. If the High Loft was too warm I would usually throw a PCU Level 4 windshirt on over the Patagonia and I was warm. The High Loft jacket is amazingly warm and plays well with kit.

Warmest thing I did ever wore was a WW2 trenchcoat. Last time I wore it was for a commemorative walk in the Belgian Ardennes, where I had to leave it open because I was sweating my *albatross* off in -8°C.

/edit: didn't see the 'no bulky' in the startpost, sorry. This coat is perfect with just a simple webbing over it, but not combined with a fully packed CIRAS of some sort ofcourse.

I used a TAD stealth hoodie reloaded with a Columbia Fleece under it last winter and it kept me very warm. I wore a fully loaded Eagle Plate Carrier over it during the games I went to, and if I ever got to hot I just opened up the pit zips.

"skins" (spelling as it may be a z instead of an s) brand underarmour excellent kit its designed for skiing so will take very low temperatures ive used it last time it snowed over here which was around -6 i think with berghaus black jacket ontop then a plate carrier , the only cold part of me was my hands as i had took my oakley gloves instead of my ski gloves

If you get the buffalo, remember it's designed to be worn against the skin. It's is less effective if you wear a base layer or tshirt under it.

one of the hardest things to do (just dosent seem right NOT wearing eny thing under it) but you learn its the best way to go when you do . i wore mine with a seals action hoodie over the top , perfect set up for me .

Archived