"Wild West" Style Holsters?

AirsoftBuyer1234

Was watching a good old Western today, and was thinking that a draw that fast would be quite helpful for those sticky close up situations (I'm a sniper). I was a bit skeptical about whether such draws could actually be possible. Turns out pros can do it in under .06s excluding reaction time. Anyone know where I can get my hands on a holster such as those used, and a gun to match. From watching fast draw tutorial videos, it has to be a single action revolver for the fastest draws (but the airsoft version would ideally be semi auto. Thanks for any advice.

You want to use 100 year old technology? Why not use the best of whats moddern: an ISPC holster, super fast draw but a little light on protection.

The best all round holster is some form of polymer holster, like kidex. Holds the gun perfectly safe and you just give it a little tug to get it out, very fast.

You know, as a sniper, I think having your pistol actually staying in your holster would serve you better than a fast draw. With those "Wild West" style holster, retention isn't exactly on the top of the list of features, so you're best off getting something like a SERPA, a Safariland or a full-flap Bianchi-style holster. Or you could do what some snipers do and pack an MP5K or an MP7 as your sidearm and keep it either slung or holstered in the case of the MP7.

I don't think retention will be an issue; they do have retention straps, which you take off when you expect to have to fast draw. The gun will only fall out while I'm moving, and since as a sniper I'll be spending a lot of time stationary, I'm pretty sure I can get away with taking off the retention when I find a good spot, and reapplying when I'm on the move.

and since as a sniper I'll be spending a lot of time stationary

Au contraire, good snipers are the ones that actually move a lot to find good spots and avoid detection.

There's a big contradiction with what you want from the holster and the role you're intending to play it with. A quick draw holster usually sits lower than the waist because its nearer to your hand at rest position. Some of these actually ride your thigh which would undoubtedly hinder you when running about, their sole purpose is to be great on the draw, but is actually bad ergonomically when the weapon is holstered. For a role that requires utmost concentration, you need your backup to be as out of the way as possible which would usually mean a slower draw. To be practical, use a waistband mounted holster, one that's made of kydex or similar and with only passive retention to give you the quickest possible draw. Then practice the hell out of it and you'll eventually find yourself pulling as quick as you could ever need.

Archived