Anyone Here Work for a Phone Company?

Blackweell!

I'll keep this short to avoid boring you all.

• Took out 24 month contract in Nov 2009 with Orange (previously on Vodafone).
  • Poor signal in my house (no 3G, 1 bar 2G and can't make/receive calls...only text in my house's sweet spot).
  • Checked with Orange several times about coverage and told I should be getting good signal.
  • Also called several times complaining about signal and told this should improve with Orange and T-Mobile combining earlier this year...it didn't.
  • Called 2 months ago to make a proper complaint and was told they would call me back in 2 weeks...they didn't.
  • Told that I cannot leave my contract without paying the full amount of the outstanding balance.

Basically, I live in a well populated area which definitely has excellent 2G and good 3G reception, as I got previously when I was on Vodafone. Orange have told me they don't guarantee signal indoors, which Vodafone does. I have to walk 200 meters down a main road to receive adequate signal.

What can I do to leave the contract without paying the remaining balance? I'm sick of not being able to send/receive texts very well and completely unable to make or receive calls.

I'd very muchly appreciate a good response. :)

Its easy. Tac up, and roll into their head office waving an AEG about, demanding action.

Standard.

(said before anyone else does :P)

Or, try your local citizens advice bureau. Mine helped me out when I had trouble with O2. Worth a shot as its free advice :)

Is your handset UMA compatible?

With one of our clients in London, they've just moved all their blackberrys over to Orange, signal is poo, added to blackberrys being poo, and you basically have a large pile of poo that they try talking to while holding it against the side of their face - not nice.

They've all had to connect to their wifi network in order to use their phones, and even then it's not great.

This might be worth a shot, you might have a bit of luck with the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

The act essentially creates offences that traders commit, such as:

Prohibition of Unfair Commercial Practices

3.—(1) Unfair commercial practices are prohibited.

(2) Paragraphs (3) and (4) set out the circumstances when a commercial practice is unfair.

(3) A commercial practice is unfair if—

(a) it contravenes the requirements of professional diligence; and

(B) it materially distorts or is likely to materially distort the economic behaviour of the average consumer with regard to the product.

(4) A commercial practice is unfair if—

(a) it is a misleading action under the provisions of regulation 5;

(B) it is a misleading omission under the provisions of regulation 6;

© it is aggressive under the provisions of regulation 7; or

(d) it is listed in Schedule 1.

Misleading actions

5.—(1) A commercial practice is a misleading action if it satisfies the conditions in either paragraph (2) or paragraph (3).

(2) A commercial practice satisfies the conditions of this paragraph—

(a) if it contains false information and is therefore untruthful in relation to any of the matters in paragraph (4) or if it or its overall presentation in any way deceives or is likely to deceive the average consumer in relation to any of the matters in that paragraph, even if the information is factually correct; and

(B) it causes or is likely to cause the average consumer to take a transactional decision he would not have taken otherwise.

These misleading actions under section 5(2)(a) include, under s.5(4)(B) the main characteristics of the product (as defined in paragraph 5). The main characteristics are;

(5) In paragraph (4)(B), the “main characteristics of the product” include—

(a) availability of the product;

(B) benefits of the product;

© risks of the product;

(d) execution of the product;

(e) composition of the product;

(f) accessories of the product;

(g) after-sale customer assistance concerning the product;

(h) the handling of complaints about the product;

(i) the method and date of manufacture of the product;

(j) the method and date of provision of the product;

(k) delivery of the product;

(l) fitness for purpose of the product;

(m) usage of the product;

(n) quantity of the product;

(o) specification of the product;

(p) geographical or commercial origin of the product;

(q) results to be expected from use of the product; and

® results and material features of tests or checks carried out on the product.

Using this is at your own risk, but it could be worth a punt if nothing else works. If not, consider contacting consumer direct, trading standards or the citizens advice bureau.

J

I've been told by Orange that connecting to the wi-fi should work, but haven't noticed any vast improvement. It's an iPhone 3GS by the way. Surprisingly I loved my Blackberry when I had it on Vodafone...and had amazing signal.

Elias: Am I correct to assume you have a law background? I was considering using consumer protecting as an arguing point but would rather leave that till until I've exhausted all my other options...as I'm aware it's treading on hazy ground when it comes to phone companies as they have their contracts worded in such a way they can wriggle out of a lot of legal obligations.

When you took the contract out you had a right of return within a set period, if the fault has exsisted from the start why did you not return it then ? if the fault has happened after then this needs rasing has a fault.

Getting out the contract; good look with that, best option to lower the cost is if you are far enough into the contract lower it to the lowest tarrif.

Use to work for O2 in the retentions (use to, got fed up of me feeling like my soul was being sucked out my body every day)

If you are far enough into the contract you can lower it (not sure what the cheapest option is)

30 * 24 = 720

15 * 24 = 360

So yeah it can be worth it but depends how far into the contract you are and and how much you pay a month.

I've been told by Orange that connecting to the wi-fi should work, but haven't noticed any vast improvement. It's an iPhone 3GS by the way. Surprisingly I loved my Blackberry when I had it on Vodafone...and had amazing signal.

Ah, iphone doesn't have UMA so you can't take advantage of that.

The thing is, it's not a fault, the phone just doesn't get a signal in your house, but I would presume elsewhere it does work?

So the chances of getting compensation/release from contract is going to be zilch, so definitely push for a reduced line rental but make sure you don't lose out on any free txt/msg/web otherwise it could end up costing more.

I do indeed have a law background. Using that legislation would be somewhat chancy, I was under the impression that it was poor signal in the local area and not just your house.

I'm afraid that if it is just your house where you cannot get signal, Orange are under no obligation to ensure you can, they can't guarantee it as there are too many variables; wall thickness, insulation, interference in your house and so on.

You would be better served following the other route of lowering the tariff cost, I can't see a way to back out of the contract at such a late stage for something which is outside of the control of the operator.

Sorry about that!

J

Tesco do a sim with a few hundred minutes, unlimited texts and internet for £10 if you get it online. No contract, just pay £10 a month for as long as you want it. So if you could get your contract down by £10 you could unlock your phone and use a Tesco sim for no extra cost. They use O2's towers iirc

I've spoken to Orange, and since they had it on record I had inquired several times about poor signal quality they lowered the buy-out price for my contract for a much larger amount than I thought they would. Although it meant I had to go through a few members of staff to do that first...

Plus Mazuma mobile pay a rather good price for an iPhone 3GS so that pretty much covers they buy-out fee anyway :)

Exactly! Thanks very much for the help :)

Ordered a HTD Desire HD on Vodafone the other day so picking it up at the store tomorrow, 'tis going to be a shock to the system after getting so used to the iPhone!

If you'd gotten the HTC Touch HD2, you could have run WM6.5 and android, or just android, or (god knows why anyone would want to) WP7.

Well for most people Android is the only option so far as mobile OSs are concerned. IOS is too locked down and expensive, WM is old and clunky, WP is lacking major features. And I'm not sure why you'd want the HD2 over the Desire HD really, the Desire is much better spec'd

Well for most people Android is the only option so far as mobile OSs are concerned. IOS is too locked down and expensive, WM is old and clunky, WP is lacking major features. And I'm not sure why you'd want the HD2 over the Desire HD really, the Desire is much better spec'd

DHD is pretty much a HD2 with an 8Mpx camera instead of 5, bit more RAM and internal storage (due to it running Android).

The advantage of the HD2 over the DHD is it's more open, gives you the option of dual booting so two sets of apps, Android for games and Kindle (and if you have more than one exchange account), WM for the useful stuff like TomTom and browsing. Android's got a long way to go to be as good as WM, but then WM has had plenty of time to mature, and of the 3 current OSs, I reckon Android is the only one which will get that good, don't get me wrong, it's great for games, but the mail client sucks, browsing is a PITA compared to Opera 10 (or even 9) on WM, of the apps I need that are available on both platforms, the WM ones are better. The apps I have that are on android but not WM I could live without, but not the other way around.

WM with SPB MS3.5 in my opinion is the most usable at the moment, android I find clunky and very amaturish (but then it is open source, though not as open as WM). WP7 seems to be for people who yearn for those days of the first iphone and duplo bricks, and CGA colours.

Archived