16" KAC PDW, Ideas about affixing an extension

Horsem4n

Whatsup peoples, im in the middle of a random project that i had originally planned to do entirely differently.

i always liked the PDW and picked one up as a replacement project for my Masada. after completing the internals and using it, i found that it was too small for me on the front end. i liked the stock and general ergonomics, but the length of the front end was not good enough. im into 16" carbines with REALLY long rail systems of at least 13". im 6'1" and have a large frame and hands, its not the best gun for me to say the least.

originally, i was going to keep it at 10 inches and just extend the rail system by chopping it off of another PDW upper receiver and coupling it together. but i never found that spare upper in a timely manor to keep me interested in the project. i ended up retiring the gun and almost sold it. but today i picked it back up and modified a madbull PWS MK110 rail system to fit as an extension along with a 6.25" barrel extension on top of the original 10" barrel. giving me a 16.25" barrel length and a 16" rail system. i think its long enough.

i had to line up at least the top and bottom rails to the rails already on the gun, using the whole rail system. gas block, barrel nut and all, just sitting in front of the original rail system.

with the gas block sitting on the barrel, i had to bring the center of the rails up a few millimeters to line up with the rails, the side rails couldn't be matched up, so i did away with them for the most part. the top rail had to be lifted with a spacer from the gas block, i used one of those brass rings that sit between the barrel and hop up unit, it just happened to be just the right size. i placed it rignt underneath where thescrew goes through, of which i had to find one slightly longer for the purpose, which i promptly did.

on the bottom rail, i had to bring it closer to the gas block, so i just grinded off the towers of the bottom screw holes of the gas block, used a dremmel cutting disk as a spacer to have in the right distance and slightly shortened the screws.

doing those 2 things, i successfully dropped the central axis of the gas block to fit comfortably over the barrel extension and line up with the existing rails.

and here i am, wondering how to (semi)permanently keep the extension attached to the gun. my idea was to use low profile scope risers (like a madbull RIS fix) to couple the top and bottom rail together.

but, whats your opinion?

and now, here is what i call the PDW Long Bow:

IMAG0331.jpg

IMAG0332.jpg

Second Interficium's comments.. That's amazing.

As for permanently fixing the rail... Is there enough material to pin the rails together? Failing that, rail accessories would be the easy option. Maybe steel plates underneath and connecting the top and bottom rails, with screws bolting the rails together going into the plates, if there's space?

thanks for the complements, i didn't really think too many people would like it, but i'm just problem solving with at least a hint of taste. the only thing i don't like is how the barrel just abruptly changes in full view from the KAC dimpled barrel to the heavy M16 barrel. it has a look of it being an extension kit instead of it looking like it came from the factory that way. i may cover the external part of the original barrel with a bit of painted tubing, to give it the heavy barrel look all the way. but anyway...

i was thinking of pinning it, but i'm not the best with drilling holes as you guys can see on my masada's rail system, so i think id just *fruitcage* it up. since nobody has any ingenious ideas yet, im just going to order some madbull RIS fixs from RSOV among a couple other things. then i'm going to hook it up with a bunch of rail covers and other bits and spam the AR15, magpull and silenced guns picture threads.

and i agree on the PDW now being moot thing. how about KAC Long Bow? meh, that makes me think of some kind of AR10 variant. IDK, you guys make something up. it just reminds me of the long bow paintball marker.

yeah, but for solidity, the gas block needs to sit tightly on the barrel as there isn't that much material on the front end around the barrel. the gas block fits very close to the extension i have and you can see the size difference on the OD of the KAC barrel. plus, im quite partial to heavy barrels, and was never really into the KAC dimples. the only real reason i have it was because i was looking for an AR15 derivative to do a project with and i got this from a friend for like 50 bucks.

plus, if my boss catches me buying from ASGI, he'll shove a broom stick up my *albatross*. because of where i live, i feel safer sending all my packages into work.

and talon, that is a good one. but im thinking of dropping the whole KAC thing and maybe shoving my brand in there, being H4CW. ex, H4CW Rapier, H4CW Long Bow, ect...

yes, i do the thumb over bore thing most of the time. after i tried it out, i felt much more comfortable that way than with a magwell or close to magwell grip.

i didnt need a gun this short as i have an expensive shotgun i use in cqb. and i didnt feel like selling it to buy a normal AR. so, in other words, i did it mainly to extend the barrel to 455mm but used ergonomics as another excuse for me to do the work.

and thanks bankz!

Archived