anyone know much about spiders?

my_plague_666

just had someone tell me about how false widow spiders are getting more common, which got me thinking...

i work for BT and i always find this particular type of spider in the blocks at the top of telegraph poles, they're chunky black shiny buggers. fairly wide and flat abdomen, the abdomen rarely seems smooth (well, it's smooth but never flat, it usually has dents in it). shiny black legs too. overall they're usually about the size of a £2 coin.

any ideas? im sure they're not false widows, just curious.

Maybe catch one or take a pic, and google it?

difficult since i'm *suitcase* scared of them (to a lesser extent these ones now, but house and wolf spiders still freak me out in a big way) and i can't really get a picture since i don't really want to risk dropping a few hundred quids worth of uninsured smartphone from the top of a pole.

after more searching on google it looks like it might be a type of false widow after all, Steatoda nobilis? possibly. although the pictures online seem to never show entirely black ones, the ones i find are 90% of the time jet black all over. they produce sticky, messy cobwebs too, which sounds about right. pretty sure i have heard of engineers being bitten by them too, apparently it hurts quite a bit.

It sounds like a false widow. There a few different variations of them including black ones. From what I've heard, the experts say their bite is like a wasp sting and the people who have been bitten by them say it's worse than a wasp sting and will hurt for five days or so :wacko:

just had someone tell me about how false widow spiders are getting more common, which got me thinking...

i work for BT and i always find this particular type of spider in the blocks at the top of telegraph poles, they're chunky black shiny buggers. fairly wide and flat abdomen, the abdomen rarely seems smooth (well, it's smooth but never flat, it usually has dents in it). shiny black legs too. overall they're usually about the size of a £2 coin.

any ideas? im sure they're not false widows, just curious.

I don't know its name, i only know the sounds it makes when it kills someone

• 3 weeks later...

I've been bitten by a house spider, when I stood on it. It hurt, but spidey came off worse...

Apparently, European house spiders are poisonous, but their fangs are too small to penetrate human skin. (heh, penetrate...)

Also, I think they are one of the fastest spiders around iirc.

Horrid things.

Archived