Motorbike commuting to work in St Petersburg (

Ubijza

Speeding.

Running reds.

Cutting other road users up like a bawse.

Not taking peds into account when planning the road.

Only a handful of shoulder checks(4 or 5 in the whole 15 minute ride).

Lane discipline, even when there are no other vehicles about!

And all that in wet weather.

Yea, well done. [/sarcasm]

The motorcyclist side of me thinks he an idiot at the very least. Doing a job that means I attend RTC's on a regular basis hopes that when he does wipe out, it's only himself thats injured/killed, going by his driving it won't be long before it happens.

hey! he indicated at least once ;)

At almost any point in that video, an unexpected hazard.

I.e. one you have to take emergency action to evade without the benefit of advance warning. E.g. Car door opening suddenly, vehicle running red light, other road user turning without indicating etc.

He'd have been dead

I would never do something like that, but the kid inside me says: "WHAT A RUSH!!" :)

And all said and done, hes' been doing that commute (during warm months) for a long while now, and even in the video with all the red light running there was never a single "almost" moment, he was always in control. Even with the brick on the road at 12:41 :)

But yeah, its great stuff for a video game, but for real life the stakes are too high... :( I guess he's too bored of his "office plankton" job to care.

Even the greatest bike riders in the world are susceptible to accidents. It takes one idiot in a car doing something stupid and bam. You'll be recording the arrival of an ambulance.

Even the greatest bike riders in the world are susceptible to accidents. It takes one idiot in a car doing something stupid and bam. You'll be recording the arrival of an ambulance.

This.

What if one of those cars doors had opened? Early morning, someone's in a rush, don't check their mirrors before opening the door. Bam. Game over.

The risk would be drastically reduced if there wasn't an even bigger idiot on the bike. It winds me up that drivers are slagged off for not thinking about bikers but if bikers were to stick to the rules of the road instead of flying round a corner at twice the speed limit and all the stuff in that video, then a driver would be much more likely to see them. I know most bikers are fine, follow the rules and are safe, likewise there are rubbish drivers who have terrible observation skills but riding like an utter *Ubar* is a big factor in the accidents rather than drivers not giving a *suitcase* about bikers,

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I'm on the side of cars on the car vs bike argument. If I'm honest, aside from important stuff like organ couriers, police e.t.c., I don't really think bikes should be allowed on the roads really. Bit of a controversial statement I know but everyone I know with motorbikes frequently speed and all have had accidents/written off numerous bikes. It's all very well in confined and controlled areas like racetracks but there's just too much temptation to act like a *rickroll* on the road. Not that car drivers are all angels of course. Now I know all bike riders aren't irresponsible arses but the amount of times I've had to take evasive action in a car to prevent an accident with a bike doing something stupid is ridiculous. The most recent one of three bikes coming round a corner on the wrong side of the road on a blind corner...It's astounding how they live for so long.

I only said an idiot in a car because going on the ratio of bikes:cars on the road, you're more likely to get *fruitcage*ed over by an idiot in a car rather than bump into a fellow idiot on a bike.

sadly there are plenty of rickrolls on both sides. I've seen such utter stupidity in cars as to have lost all faith in allowing mankind near any motor vehicle. At least bikers generally only kill themselves when they're rickrolls, unlike car drivers who tend to take as many with them as possible.

Here's an example; I was driving my motorbike in a queue of traffic travelling along a country road. The car in front of me braked sharply around a bend, causing me to tap into the back of her. Accident my fault I presume, a bit unlucky, apparently the traffic had stacked up round the bend and she hadn't seen it 'til too late, but I should of allowed more space etc. No-one hurt, my fairings a little dented. So we pull over, I get my insurance details out, she makes sure I'm okay and says don't worry about it, I'm so sorrie, that's the 3rd accident I've had today!

Ha. I wouldn't trust most people with a trolley in a supermarket let alone a car or a bike. Seriously. You should have to take some kind of test before you're allowed to be put in charge of a trolley at Tesco.

I'll be a bit of a Devil's Advocate just for fun here;)

I think in that particular vid, the only life that was really at risk was the rider's own. Unless of course some pedestrian would walk out onto the road from between cars... But otherwise, if he got one of his moves wrong, the worst that would happen to car drivers around him would be a visit to a body shop. And remember, its a different culture with little "political correctness", "health and safety" and such stuff - and its not a universally bad thing. People go to movies to be wowed by similar "heroic deeds", and would give a lot to try James Bond lifestyle for real :) Some people get to experience the "james Bond rush" for real :)

I'll be a bit of a Devil's Advocate just for fun here;)

I think in that particular vid, the only life that was really at risk was the rider's own. Unless of course some pedestrian would walk out onto the road from between cars... But otherwise, if he got one of his moves wrong, the worst that would happen to car drivers around him would be a visit to a body shop. And remember, its a different culture with little "political correctness", "health and safety" and such stuff - and its not a universally bad thing. People go to movies to be wowed by similar "heroic deeds", and would give a lot to try James Bond lifestyle for real :) Some people get to experience the "james Bond rush" for real :)

I'll put my proffessional hat on here ;)

Whilst it may be fun, filtering/jumping junctions like that is more likely to get someone else injured. A bike will seriously penetrate a car if hit side on causing massive injuries to those inside. But I digress, the main point I was going to make is the fact should he wipe out some poor chap will have to pick up the pieces, tell his family he's dead and if another vehicle is involved someone else will have to live with the fact someone has been killed in front of them due to their presence. All because he can't be bothered driving responsibly. As a motorcyclist theres a time and place to take what i see on TV and the cinema and put it into practice and thats a race track where if I crash I'll have some damage fairings, scuffed leathers and a costly trip to the track medical centre.

I think far too many people these days believe driving a vehicle is a god given right, but the vast majority of the highway code is there for a reason and it's partly down to that we have some of the safest roads in the world despite the shocking standards shown by many here.

I hope he gets nicked and the bike gets crushed and recycled into coke cans.

That is why I cannot stand anything on 2 wheels, just because they are smaller does not mean the can break nearly every rule in the book.

Bet you anything if somthing went wrong he blame another party.

Wow! No that WAS reckless! :fear2: Almost all cross roads and red lights were run blindly:) Could've been faster though - it took nearly a minute to get through Champs Elysees. Although some cornering was fantastic. Finally a good reason to use :busted_blue: in a post :)

Oui.

It might be a Merc but it is a lovely Merc.

In many ways I prefer it to the Ferrari, the first couple of times I watched it I actually only listened to it while I was doing something else and I though the sound was a bit disjointed in places.

The sound of those downshifts though is amazing.

Archived