What gas am bes- no I can't do it

Forti

Most duster cans here are now 152a...I've been told some contain 143a, but I've never seen any that do. 143a is stronger than 134 or 152 so be careful with those cans that contain 143. A good chrono is a must have as the contents of some duster cans are unknown.

FYI...most airsoft gas with a few exceptions stay as liquid.

I use propane in pretty much everything.

GBB's get stripped down and cleaned before and after every game (and whenever i'm bored)

I put a couple of drops of 100% silicon oil in via the propane adapter every few fills of each mag.

Silicon oil intended for old style colour photocopiers, (I'm a colour copier engineer...)

It comes in litre bottles, I think I have about 4 litres left so at that rate of use should last a while.

For the rest of the gbb, I use either Teflon grease  or Moly grease depending on materials involved.

Jim

Vapour pressures at 25 °C;

Difluoroethane (R-152a).
87 psi/5.9 bar
Boiling point; -25 °C

Trifluoroethane (R-143a)
183 psi/12.6 bar
Boiling point; -47.6° C

Tetrafluoroethane (R-134a)
82 psi/5.7 bar
Boiling point; -26.3 °C

Propane (R-290)
124 psi/8.5 bar
Boiling point; ?42 °C

Carbon Dioxide (R-744)

831 psi/57 bar

Boiling point; -57 °C

Chlorodifluoromethane (HCFC-22)
132 psi/9 bar

Boiling point; ?40.7 °C

Which is why all the ZOMG PROPANE ITS A BOMB *suitcase* annoys me so much. Propane is actually safer than 'airsoft' gases because it comes in a thick steel can with a blowoff valve and you can smell it when it leaks.

That pressure looks useful though, I wonder if we can get at all 143a easily?

The boiling points are actually more important and use the pressure readings as only a rough guide....PSI's can change while boiling points will remain constant.

Remember it's the power that's released when the liquid immediately turns into gas that is propelling the BB. That power released in the change from liquid to gas comes from heat (e.g. we put water over a flame to make it boil faster and we can see the water turn into gas) so the propellants with the the lower boiling points will perform better in the cold. This is also why we use to call gases like propane and 143 as "winter gas" while 152 and 134 as "summer gas".

The "pressure" factor that's important in liquid charge guns is the pressure needed in order to keep the propellant in liquid form (the sealed magazine - hence, if there's even the slightest of magazine leaks, the liquid propellant immediately boils and turns to gas). You can see that winter gas needs more pressure to keep as liquid...this is why perfectly good magazines fail when charged with winter gas in the summer time.

Archived