Why arnt there top loading shotguns?

bankz5152

Been playing Halo pretty much solid for the past two days and been using the shotgun in it a lot. For those that don't know the magazine tube is on the top along with the loading port/gate. To me this seems very sensible. As in things like Practical Shotgun to load quickly it involves manipulating the shotgun in all sorts of ways, most commonly flipping it upside down. 

If the tube was on the top, no flipping. Shotgun stays near enough on target and enables the shooter to reload easily and return to fire position far quicker.

As for aiming etc.. It wouldnt be very different from an Over & Under, or various other high sight firearms (P90, Kriss etc..) Maybe not great for slugs but they arent used as much as buckshot etc.. 

So why don't they exist? Or why have they never been thought of outside of Halo? Can't imagine it would be that tough.

There's probably a reason.  The UTS-15 tried it but from what I gather, it's not so great.

Then there's the Neostead but I don't know much about that.

I would imagine there are some design hurdles to get past seeing as you're loading and ejecting from the same place.  Even the 1887 has problems.

What you really should be asking is why do shotguns use a loading technology that was considered obsolete for rifles 70 years ago and obsolete for pistols over 100 years ago.

Seriously, why are there so few detachable magazine shotguns?

I can only think of a few, Siaga12, H14, AA12 and the USAS12, probably others though.

There are loads of Soviet top loading shotguns.

I thought you meant airsoft ones.

Magazines are the way forward though.

I think if you got a Valtro that self loaded and had the Benelli system whereby it knows if it has fired or if the bolt has been pulled back manually then you'd have the perfect shotgun.

Mag fed, easy slug switch, semi, 14" barrel with high capacity mags.

Ideal.

I guess the make up of the typical shotgun round makes it ideal for tube fed guns as there's no pointed projectile coming into contact with a primer.  Then add the fact that in today's world, shotguns are not really considered weapons of war like assault rifles. Pretty much anything you'll need a shotgun for, breaching primarily I guess, can be done with the limited capacity of a tube mag.  There's really no need to spend time and money on mag fed shotguns.  Even if it was cool.  I mean, the AA12 is perhaps the pinnacle of shotgun tech and that's going nowhere.

Mag fed, easy slug switch, semi, 14" barrel with high capacity mags.

Ideal.

More than 10 12bores in a single magazine makes for a very bulky magazine and a hard changeover. You're better off sticking to less than 10 shots for the sake of practicality.

Also, properly set up flechette loads are the future, hit probability of buck shot and range of a slug.

As for flipping nope. Should see the guys I shoot with, load 8 rounds in under 2 seconds. Loading 2 at a time with 4 in a hand.

I

Why would you be loading and ejecting from the same place? Why couldnt it be like the same as a regular shotgun does but upside down?

As hitman said 12G mags are ENOURMOUS almost double thickness of a std M4 mag and much longer. Where you can have the rounds inline with the shotty saving space.

Last thing i heard flechette rounds where 'banned' under a similar law to cluster bombing. I may well be very wrong here.

Regardless, top loading shotty. When I say top loading, i meant into a tube like modern shottys but upside down?

One hurdle i could imagine is after some time the barrel will get hot. On this made up model I imagine the pump would be around the barrel. So could melt the pump or the pump could get too hot.

What are the soviet ones?

Sight over bore ratio? Kinda useless on a shotgun but could be?

Perhaps as it is just 'the system' that everyone uses and has been that way since.

I mean loading from the top might be a tad tougher too as with loading from below your hand is already on the same level as the loading space, if on top you have to shift the gun around to get to the top, making it tougher.

'FireKnife'

Suppose it depends on how you load, though this is one of the fastest.

25 seconds or so in.

Has 4 rounds in his hand, loads 2 from the inner palm then the other two. With practice VERY fast, much faster than grabbing four from the right and loading one by one.

Now if you could that without flipping it cuts time off a reload. While being in a complete fire position.

Why would you be loading and ejecting from the same place? Why couldnt it be like the same as a regular shotgun does but upside down?

I raise you the Ithica M37, ejects directly downwards through the same hole you stick the shells into. What you are imagining is an upside down Ithica.

As hitman said 12G mags are ENOURMOUS almost double thickness of a std M4 mag and much longer. Where you can have the rounds inline with the shotty saving space.

Single stack magazine holding 8 rounds is comparable to a 30 round stanag, a 5 shot mag is the same lenght as a 20 round 7.62nato mag. Very manageable.

Last thing i heard flechette rounds where 'banned' under a similar law to cluster bombing. I may well be very wrong here.

Never heard this before, source?

...pump...

Why pump? Non automatics are obsolete. Make it semi.

What are the soviet ones?

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/rus/rmb-93-e.html

As for loading and ejecting in the roughly same place, I guess I was taking the Halo shotgun too literally.  It looks like it loads towards the front and ejects near the back.  That seems unnessarily complicated to me.  I suppose if it fed from the top and ejected from the bottom it would be OK.

As for loading and ejecting in the roughly same place, I guess I was taking the Halo shotgun too literally.  It looks like it loads towards the front and ejects near the back.  That seems unnessarily complicated to me.  I suppose if it fed from the top and ejected from the bottom it would be OK.

If you were to make it somewhat bullpup (Think P90 level of bullpup) Then you could load somewhere just behind the middle of the gun(making for good ergonomics) and the action would be behind it and spit the empties out the bottom of the stock.

I still would rather have a Siaga12 in a aku94 style bullpup configuration. (of course i'd want one better built than the 94s were)

There is one. But if got canned last year... Looked amazing.

Pump because there are many rounds that will not cycle in a semi. One for example are bean bag rounds, hence the Benelli M3 S90 and Spas12.

Not to mention cleaning and maintanence are a million times less/easier.

If you were to make it somewhat bullpup (Think P90 level of bullpup) Then you could load somewhere just behind the middle of the gun(making for good ergonomics) and the action would be behind it and spit the empties out the bottom of the stock.

I still would rather have a Siaga12 in a aku94 style bullpup configuration. (of course i'd want one better built than the 94s were)

Kushnapup

Archived