Learning airsoft parts and how to build guns

HaZzBaZz

I am getting Into airsoft and I love the thought of buying parts and upgrading your own parts! Although I have no idea how to learn what the different parts are/do and how to replace them with better parts. So I want to know how all of you learnt how to build/upgrade internals! Thanks, Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube is great for covering the basics. But as you progress further you'll find that personal experience is the best teacher. This has to do with the fact that most of the parts out there don't always necessarily go with each other smoothly. Tolerances and quality control can differ from brand to brand and even between generations of the same brand. Lastly, don't take any information you come across for granted. Some advice being given out there is just flat out dope and yet are backed up by a few fanboys because they honestly don't know any better.

YouTube is great for covering the basics. But as you progress further you'll find that personal experience is the best teacher. This has to do with the fact that most of the parts out there don't always necessarily go with each other smoothly. Tolerances and quality control can differ from brand to brand and even between generations of the same brand. Lastly, don't take any information you come across for granted. Some advice being given out there is just flat out dope and yet are backed up by a few fanboys because they honestly don't know any better.

Thanks for the information man! You seem very experienced in the wonderful world of airsoft so maybe you could give me a hand with something. I'm sure your very aware of the mission known as "operation red wings"

If your not then it doesn't matter but I am planning on building an SPR mk12 mod 1 like Marcus Luttrell had. I am going to have the base gun as an m4 or m16 and am planning to buy mod kits for barrel and upgrade parts to turn it into a mk12 style weapon. Do you have any suggestions on what gun I should start with so I can upgrade it's internals and externals. The gun must be available in two tone as I sadly cannot get a UKARA membership yet Thanks, Harry

YouTube guides are useful, I always found the Mechbox.com ones very clear both from video quality and explanation perspectives. If you want to tech I guess there are a few tips I can give, one, how mechanically minded are you? Can you look at a mechanism and have an idea on what does what or do you just go "magic? No idea" if it's the latter working on your own guns is possibly not the best idea. Second, have more than one AEG to use before you start modifying one, I would think everyone here has been in the position of taking their AEG to bits, it turning out more complicated than expected and not having it back together in time for a game. Third, research all you can about what you want to do before the job so you have bases covered. Forth, get the right tools, for working on mechboxes you will need a Philips head screw driver (4-5mm head should do), a set of Allen keys, a set of torx drivers, a tray for putting parts in, a hand towel (probably an old one), some airsoft use grease, airsoft use silicone lubricant and finally a clear, large work area. The hand towel is for when you open the gearbox as it stops bits from pinging off and getting lost. Also, have your phone on stand by to take photos as you take it to bits so you can check part positioning. Fifth, be patient, don't Rush yourself, it will be frustrating, things will go wrong, you will probably loose the odd part. It's always easy to say "I can be patient" but when you're tired and you're on the who knows how many time trying to force the piston spring into the mechbox and get everything to seat correctly and it's approaching midnight when you thought you'd be done by 8pm, tempers tend to fray. I hope that helps. Also, out of curriosity how much experience do you have? I ask because you need to walk before you run, some airsofters literally never tech, some get into it fairly fast, obviously that's a lot dependant on desire and natural aptitude.

YouTube guides are useful, I always found the Mechbox.com ones very clear both from video quality and explanation perspectives. If you want to tech I guess there are a few tips I can give, one, how mechanically minded are you? Can you look at a mechanism and have an idea on what does what or do you just go "magic? No idea" if it's the latter working on your own guns is possibly not the best idea. Second, have more than one AEG to use before you start modifying one, I would think everyone here has been in the position of taking their AEG to bits, it turning out more complicated than expected and not having it back together in time for a game. Third, research all you can about what you want to do before the job so you have bases covered. Forth, get the right tools, for working on mechboxes you will need a Philips head screw driver (4-5mm head should do), a set of Allen keys, a set of torx drivers, a tray for putting parts in, a hand towel (probably an old one), some airsoft use grease, airsoft use silicone lubricant and finally a clear, large work area. The hand towel is for when you open the gearbox as it stops bits from pinging off and getting lost. Also, have your phone on stand by to take photos as you take it to bits so you can check part positioning. Fifth, be patient, don't Rush yourself, it will be frustrating, things will go wrong, you will probably loose the odd part. It's always easy to say "I can be patient" but when you're tired and you're on the who knows how many time trying to force the piston spring into the mechbox and get everything to seat correctly and it's approaching midnight when you thought you'd be done by 8pm, tempers tend to fray. I hope that helps. Also, out of curriosity how much experience do you have? I ask because you need to walk before you run, some airsofters literally never tech, some get into it fairly fast, obviously that's a lot dependant on desire and natural aptitude.

Hey thanks for the reply it was a big help! I have no experience with building airsoft guns as I heard more and more about upgrading guns it's just something I really wanted to do. Although I'm not entirely new to changing parts and working with different things as I know about computers and have done a lot of changing out parts and what not (I know computers and airsoft are completely different but it's something)

The reason I wanted to know about all this stuff is because I am planning on buying an M16/M4 and getting an SPR MK12 mod kit and change internals to transform a normal AEG into a longer ranged weapon such as the SPR MK12 mod 1.

No worries, glad I can help. When you say transform it into a longer range weapon do you mean up the FPS and lock out full auto? Another handy tip is to look through past builds in the project suggestions section and find anything similar to what you're doing and see what others have done. Also, in my view the two most important things to concentrate on with an airsoft mod are the hop chamber and to get consistent FPS, so, good quality spring, piston, piston head, cylinder, cylinder head and air nozzle with a good hop chamber and hop rubber. Exactly what will be dictated by what you want it to do but remember higher FPS doesn't always mean longer range, my 280fps uzi can hilariously out range much higher FPS AEGs.

With my time on pistols it really is trial, error and having a go with all the options you can.

I have tried hops in pistols that people put as 'amazing' and they failed to outclass the standard hop. I havee also had the total opposite happen too so take internet reeviews with a pinch of salt.

Upgrading wise it is really what do you want and try to get to that level. For me it is consistency and range, not kick and overall feel. Find what you want and plan to it ;).

'FireKnife'

Archived