A 'What am bestest gnu' thread. Classic wood/steel rifles.

Lone_Bullet

Hiya!

The purpose of this post is to collect knowledge of classic bolt action rifles, preferably in wood/metal.

What brands are considered the better, durable guns.

What options are there, pro/cons and long therm experience with them.

I ask this because I just handled a Tanaka Type 99 and stared at a spring Mosin, which I believe is Zeta Labs.

They go for €650 and €980, which I believe is EXTREMELY expensive and have been hanging in the shops for years now.

They felt heavy and nice, looked like quality but in airsoft, we're never sure, are we?

So for the gentlemen with experience, please shout out!

So digging a bit deeper in the 'Nets archives I discover that no matter what they cost, these NBB classic rifles will always be... well...

Junk basically.

Overpowered, prone to breakage, easy to damage the finish because cheap paint and choice of cheap materials.

Bummer.

My search included Tanaka T99, kar98k; Marushin M1 carabine, M1 garand; G&G G980 ( kar98k ), M1903 and ICS M1 garand.

What a waste.

Spring proved to be better but that's just not the same. I guess I expected too much.

Thanks for looking into it though

NPAS is a term used on GBBs with a particular RA-tech part, on GBB systems that does not use the MAGNA blowback system.  It describes the action of the blowback flute valve.

On an NBB it is called: Adjustable flow restrictor.

I can attest to the PPS KAR98K being fantastic.  Not as fantastic in external build as the Tanaka, but heavier and more accurate.

The G&G NBBs are junk (had the M1903), the KJW M700 are junk (had both the police and the standard), Marushin M1 Carbine and M1 Garand requires mods for reliability and performance but otherwise they are fantastic collectors pieces (had both - sold both , 8mm wasn't practical).  Tanaka Kar98K is probably the only bolt action I would own (oh wait...I had 3 of them and sold them all, also had the M700, M24 and AICS) 

ICS Garand is an electric and doesn't really count.

But out of all these probably be happy with a KAR98K,  Havent tried the Arisaka but heard its similar to the KAR98K.

Springs are more accurate, but none would be able to accurate or outrange a 470fps PKM firing out to 100m so I would say:  PKM with wooden furniture!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The King Arms M1 Carbine is very nice externally but a bit overpowered (because CO2) and the mags are way oversized (again CO2).

Having said that, it's probably one of the best WW2 rifles out there.

Let's pester WE into making a GG version, with proper sized mags and a VSR hop. :)

Archived