P90 Hi-Cap Magazines

R22Master

If YOU own a P90 Hi-Cap mag or two, do they REALLY jam up regularly and refuse to feed?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. If YOU own a P90 Hi-Cap mag or two, do they REALLY jam up regularly and refuse to feed?

• Yes, always
    • Yes, sometimes
    • Yes, but greasing sorts the problem out
    • Rarely
    • Never
    • I don't own them, I just want to vote so I can see the results of this Poll

The trick is to hold the highcaps straight up while winding them. the curved side has to be down (the side where the bbs come out).

If you look through the transparent mag while winding,you'll see how the bbs feed through the mechanism. getting the first two or three into the mechanism is crucial, but if you succeed, you won't experience dry firing on a worn in mag anymore :)

I know it's weird.  I see photos of it and want one, then I pick one up in a shop and go "Eeeueuuuuuwwww!" - all I want to do is put it down again and walk away.

And I was exactly the opposite - Soon as I handled one, I had to have one - Good knows why! :)

Gone to a home that'll use it now, though.

Cheers.

mhe...awesome!

mhe brought up an important point that I stupidly didn't even realize and failed to mention in my previous posts. Hold the mag that way and it makes my little guide diatribe possible. It didn't even dawn on me that I was holding the mag that way when I loaded them until mhe said that. True words of experience there...

Thanks for pointing that out, mhe!

Hannibal

I also never thought about it until I got a really tired arm of slapping my P90 mags all day :D

And getting shot because of taking out the mag and wind it under fire really annoyed me...

When you fill really many bbs into the mag, the spring that moves this little plate (and the bbs for that matter) towards the feeding mechanism gets compressed hard. seems it has a hard time pushing the bbs in at the beginning. so I had to rid it of this work by using.... gravity! :rolleyes:

I don't have a P90, but I skirmished next to one all day (trust me- we were two noobs and we stuck together ;) ) and my mate had to slap the hicap about every 30 rounds to keep it feeding. It was a hire gun, so the mag was probably very poorly lubed (if at all). He noticed this problem from the outset and talked to a knowledgeable member in the safezone. He said the reason the hicap jams is because it is the only TM hicap (to my knowledge at least) that uses a spring to compress the BBs down towards the feeding ramp. In other hicaps the BBs just feed from an uncompressed resevoir.

This innovation was necessary because the P90 is the only AEG with a horizontal mag, so a normal 'loose' resevoir wouldn't feed all the BBs. So TM needed to compress them towards the feed ramp- hence the spring.

This is the main reason the mags jam. A good solution to this, as already stated by someone on page 1, is to cut down the spring to reduce the pressure. This will logically reduce the compression the BBs are under and should drastically reduce the number of jams. Don't cut it down too much though- if you cut too much off the spring, it wont compress the BBs and you will be left with a useless hicap.

Personally if I were to get a P90 (which I might) I'd either get a box mag (The lure of M16 mags is too much to withstand, and they aren't that ugly...) or run it on lowcaps. However in a hosefest the guy with the locaps is going to be at a disadvantage. I mean, even if you can carry 10 locaps to make up your ammo to 2 hicaps-worth, you are still going to be reloading every five minutes. If you're milsim, go for it. The lowcaps for the P90 also have those cool 5.56mm fake bullets in them...... another appeal for all the milsimmers among us.

Basically, if you are going to get a P90, and you aren't technically confident with taking your mags to bits and chopping away bits and bobs from inside them, just get a box mag and some M16 mags, or a ton of lowcaps. If you are willing to do a bit of tinkering and think having hicaps is worth the effort, get some and try to fix them.

Archived