P90 Hi-Cap Magazines

R22Master

If YOU own a P90 Hi-Cap mag or two, do they REALLY jam up regularly and refuse to feed?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. If YOU own a P90 Hi-Cap mag or two, do they REALLY jam up regularly and refuse to feed?

• Yes, always
    • Yes, sometimes
    • Yes, but greasing sorts the problem out
    • Rarely
    • Never
    • I don't own them, I just want to vote so I can see the results of this Poll

I am thinking of making an order to WGC for a MASSIVE load of parts, and a few guns, so this is likely to be the first of several questions soon to come :) ). The P90 is on my list and I am wondering what magazines to buy.

To me, the Hi-Caps are the sensible choice as the Standard mags only hold 68 rounds and the Box Mags just look odd. But I have seen MANY users reporting that P90 Hi-Caps jam regularly and refuse to feed.

If you own a P90 with Hi-Caps, could you enlighten me as to whether this is a regular continuing problem that can't be fixed, or if they are reliable or can be made to be reliable with some modification.

I have never owned a P90 myself, but it's on my list of things to get for various reasons (although I don't really like the gun itself).

Opinions on the gun's performance, finish, reliability, etc... would also be appreciated. ;)

Cheers all.

P.S. - Please do NOT post guesses or "I read it on a forum somewhere" information as I will be spending a fair bit of my hard earned cash on this. Help from genuine users would be much appreciated though. Rep points are available for the best info provided ;)

P90 hicaps DO jam sometimes. End of story.

Same as MP5 hicaps and M4 hicaps.

The problem is that the spring-loaded system they have means that P90 hicaps can jam rather severely when they do jam.

As with MP5 and M4 mag's, I reckon lubing them isn't the answer. Sure, you can squirt lube in and it'll make the BBs slippier so the mag won't jam. That lube will screw up the hop though and make the shots a bit random.

As with MP5 and M4 mag's (starting to see the trend yet?) the best solution is just to use them until they jam and then give them a bit of a knock.

People who say they get no problems from P90 mags are either lying or being charitable toward their own gun.

Personally, all I use (aside from hicaps) in my M4 and MP5 and G&P midcaps and, if I was being truthful, both suffer from jams quite often but not often enough to really bother me. Same deal with P90 mags.

Tell you what, though. If you get a P90 I bet you decide to get more locap mags instead of hicaps. The P90 locap just looks sooooo cool. :D

With a capacity of 70-odd shots it's not too bad. I have 4 locaps and a couple of hicaps for mine. I use the locaps most of the time and bung a hicap in before a big assault or something similar.

Same here, the P-90 is a great gun, but the hi-caps are a problem. I use 2 hi-caps, and 3 lo-caps when using my P-90. Another person who sometimes playes with us using a P-90 carries 7 lo-caps. Some times the mags do feed flawlessly, but the other 90% of the time, it will at least require a good hard slap on the top of the mag to get it to feed again.

-Marimba

Hi R22

I had a P90 for around 2yrs before it was sold off. Very reliable (even with HK power limits) solid feeling gun but the hand feel might not be for everyone. Finish is a bit plastic and firing the gun can be a bit noisy so u could stuff it with foam maybe?

I had two hi caps and they did jam now and again with silicon spray helping. After xx amount of games I stripped the mags down completely to clean which helps. I found that its best to tap the magazine then wind up spring to ensure first few BB are in the loading wheel. Sometimes u have to bang the P90 mag onto the gun as it fails to clip in. Could just be me but its not as reassuring as say a MP5 or M4 mag.

The batt mod for 9.6v 1700mah is more than enough for OE power. Take down is fast and access to gearbox is great with just two tiny screws!

Need more info, drop me a PM.

J

EDIT: I just remember there is a mod for the P90 hicap where one fills up a certain hole with glue. Cant recall which area as I lost the link but its a ramp shape part. I dont have a P90 mag here opened so if ne1 has a picture I might be able to point the bugger out! TKS

yes... I've found the key was to make sure that the BBs themselves aren't all jammed together. But then I've had similar problems with m4 mags, so meh. Other than that, I've had no problems with my hicaps.

Although I have now switched to the boxmag because it's so cool.

I was looking at getting a P90 earlier in the month, good quality and all that just didn't have enough funds lol. Anyway, I found this link on airsoftplayers which shows a mod for the mag. Thought you might be interested.

Good luck :)

*EDIT* - text

Hi,

I don't use hi caps so I can't be much use there, but i love the p90, to the extent that firing anything else just feels weird, mainly because the hand grip is so comfy. i don't find having to hunch up a problem because if you just move your head forward you don't have to hunch.

you don't have to hit the mags to get them in once they're sort of resting in the feed pull down and back, that should sort the slapping bit. taking apart the mags can be quiet fiddly but when you've got the hang of it, it's easy, just like a gearbox.

one mod I made was changing the battery connectors to the large type just makes it a bit easier and you don't have to get a new charger. only other thing is making sure the upper reciever is lined up correctly before closing it.

but at the end i'll take my P90 over anything, and i find it can beat just about anything (including my local sniper)

Cheers

Mig

Okay, me personally prefer low caps for me P90 that i no longer have, anyway the hicaps i did have casued numerous problems with missfeeding,

right........possible solutions,

lubbing them helps alittle but not by much in my experience,

okay now for the bigone, my mate has a P90 and swears he has cured the problem by actually cutting down the spring inside the mag that pushes the BBs when fireing, by no means am i suggesting anyone do this as i cant comment on having tried it myself but since he did it, to my knowkledge he hasnt had a single jam once, now my friend is good at tinckering i will admit and is pretty smart on how little things like this work, he claims the spring is under far to much pressure and is its own worst enemy,

hope this helps,

i'll try and get a few more detailed instructions from him on how he did it or what he did, if anyones interested that is

My friend has a P90 so I have seen first hand how troublesome their hi-caps can be. One of the gears inside of his broke on all three of the hi-caps he bought, so he stopped throwing money away and now has a box mag.

He was constantly frustrated by the hi-caps and I'm sure wouldn't recommend them.

Wow, such great information - cheers all :)

After much deliberation (and picking one up again today), I have decided not to get the P90 - I STILL don't like it. After totting up the total cost of gun, hi-caps, batteries, and mag pouches, it just came to too much money to spend on a gun I wasn't that keen on anyway. I like the idea of the P90, but the TM Airsoft model is just not for me :(

Anyway, keep posting on this if you have relevant information. It will help a lot of other potential P90 owners with their purchasing decisions, and the handy tips presented in this thread could help P90 Hi-Caps all over the world run more smoothly.

Cheers chaps ;)

I know it's weird. I see photos of it and want one, then I pick one up in a shop and go "Eeeueuuuuuwwww!" - all I want to do is put it down again and walk away.

I see it on Stargate SG-1 and want one even more, then I see the TM model in the flesh again and just don't like it.

I don't know what it is exactly, but the clearest I can make it is that I like the concept of the gun, but don't like the "feel" of the TM Airsoft version P90. I'd have one if it were free, but to shell out my hard earned cash on one is just not on the cards because I'd never be proud of owning it. ;)

After totting up the total cost of gun, hi-caps, batteries, and mag pouches, it just came to too much money to spend on a gun I wasn't that keen on anyway.  I like the idea of the P90, but the TM Airsoft model is just not for me :(

Must admit, when you objectively add up the costs involved in investing in a whole new "system" it is never a pleasant experience. I seem to recall, myself, thinking what a bargain the P90 was. The gun, itself, was 160 quid when I got it and yet the complete "package" still came in at around 300 quid!

Must say, though, I do reckon it's one of the greatest guns in the TM range. Even if it doesn't really appeal it's just so tidy and nifty that it's worth buying. Kinda the same way I feel about the AUG at the moment.

I know it'll do the same job as my M4. The extra barrel length won't make any difference and the fact it won't take M16 mag's is a pain cos it means I've gotta spend at least 100 quid on mag's before I can skirmish it. There's just something about it that makes me want one though. ;)

i brought a p90 and for a while i loved it but after a while i decieded to sell it as i found the mags a pain to find a pouch, and i didnot use it much

the mags are fine if you keep them oiled and srip them down every now and then to keep them free of dirt

I had heard of problems with them, so as soon as I got mine, I sprayed some silicone oil in it, the only problem I had with so far (5 uses) was it not feeding, but that was my fault, I hadn't winded it completly. The only other problem I find is that it likes to unwind sometimes, and that gets really annoying!

Alright...after coming into this discussion late...I'll still go ahead and give my take.

I OWN a TM P90. I LOVE it! According to most of the people on this forum...I have the only good P90 ever made. I also own the only 6 hi-caps that were ever worth anything. Bottom line...after I got used the the feel of the gun...I hate even using my other guns. (TM M4 and TM MP5)

The hi-caps are tricky...I won't lie. Once you figure out the tricks to go with them, then I have NEVER had a problem since then. I also play about every weekend so I have a few games under my belt. I think the hi-caps are great. I can stick an allen key in it...wind it up in about 3 seconds...and be running into battle in a matter of minutes. Silicone spray helps, but the best trick I learned is in the winding and how it's loaded into the gun.

R22...if you don't like it...I wouldn't recommend it. Because if you have one problem, you'll hate it no matter what. If you can get past it...who knows? I'll share any and all info I can that delves further into this matter...just PM or e-mail me. I'm too lazy to write any more of it here...

Hannibal

I found no trouble with P-90 Hi-Caps. All I ever found was occasionaly, the mag would lift a little from the main gun, and stop feeding. All it took was a bit of a hard smack to make it stick in and it was fine till I took it out and put it back in, when I'd need to give it a little smack again.

R22...if you don't like it...I wouldn't recommend it.  Because if you have one problem, you'll hate it no matter what.  If you can get past it...who knows?  I'll share any and all info I can that delves further into this matter...just PM or e-mail me.  I'm too lazy to write any more of it here...

Hannibal

Great example of community spirit right there! :rolleyes:

How about you share the "secrets" of the P90 with the rest of us as well?

Great example of community spirit right there! 

How about you share the "secrets" of the P90 with the rest of us as well?

Ok Hissing Sid...

You're going to probably tell me I'm stupid, but my "trick" has always worked.

1. Spray the inside of your P90 mags with silicon spray...not a bath...just a shot.

2. After filling the mag...wind a couple of times...then pull back the spring to let the bb's filter into the winding mech. Continue to wind normally after bb's fall into place...(this eliminates the horrid non-feeding problem)

3. The reason P90 hi-caps don't work well is when you load the mag and don't get it in quick enough. It releases the spring tension. Pull the mag catch back while you load and get it into place quickly. You don't have to slam or beat it...just become efficient at it.

4. Don't overfill the mag...if you have trouble shutting the little door...you've got too many in there.

This has ALWAYS worked for me. Don't be afraid to practice it a couple of times to get the hang of it. I used to have a ton of trouble with them, but as soon as I figured out the non-feeding issue and the issue of not dawdling around when I put the mag it...my troubles disappeared. And please...before you tell me it won't work or you already knew this and I'm totally off-base...try it. If it doesn't work after you've given it a fair chance...then you're not out anything but time and you can ignore this advice. Good luck to all...

Hannibal

To answer your question R22...yes they all do. The P90 is supposed to do it after the first winding so you never have to pull the mag out. I think the trick is getting the bb's to feed correctly. See my above post on how to fix. My mags would always unwind because I would get the first few bb's through the start and the rest would not load...causing the mag to believe it's empty and unwind itself. Am I as clear as mud now??? ;) I haven't had this problem since I figured out what worked for me.

Hannibal

Archived