Calling all EXPERTS - AEG Gearbox versions

R22Master

what about the TOP AEGS?

I know the Mp40 is a different box(wich is essentially the P90 gearbox with a bellows system instead of a piston) to the M60 and m249, and the m60s all use the same box and the m249s all use the same box, but I really dont have a scooby if the M249 box is the same as the M60.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses so far guys.

Okay, a fully updated list goes...

• Version 1 Gearbox...

TM FAMAS F1

TM FAMAS SV

Academy L85 (slight variation)

• Version 2 Gearbox...

TM MP5-A & SD Series

TM M16 / M4 Series

TM XM177e2

TM M733

ICS MP5-A Series

TM G3 Series (inc G3-SAS)

TM MC51

CA MP5-A Series

CA Armalite Series

G&G Armalite Series

G&P Armalite Series

• Version 3 Gearbox...

TM G36c

TM AK47 / 74 Series

TM MP5k & MP5k-PDW

TM AUG Series

TM Sig Series

CA G36c

• Version 4 Gearbox...

TM PSG-1

• Version 5 Gearbox...

TM Uzi

NOTE: Unique as barrel recesses through gearbox to create recoil

• Version 6 Gearbox...

TM Thompson SMG

TM P90

NOTE: both v6 gearbox guns have slightly different motor alignment, but are the same gearbox

• Version 7 Gearbox...

TM M14

• Custom boxes...

G&G UMG

CA M249

Systema Training Rifle

Staticzero: The Star UMG uses the G36 as a base so that must be a v3 gearbox I guess - as this is the case, it will not be included in this list as it is a conversion kit - not a seperate gun. However, I have heard from reliable sources that the G&G UMG has a TOTALLY different custom gearbox that is not similar to anything else currently on the market. Can you confirm or deny this?

----------------------------------------

Okay, so is this now a comprehensive list? Have we missed anything out? Answere please oh revered experts of Arnie's :)

BTW - Bullzebub: Yes, on reflection (and after taking apart another 10 or so AEGs), "Windowed" vs "Non-Windowed" would be useful on this list. The "windows" appear to be allowances for the tabs on armalites, and as there are two different ways of taking apart armalites based on the presence of windows (or not), it would be worth having the info for this list. Empart away my friend ;)

The "windowed" shells apeer to be specifically from the swing-open receiver type armalites, IE the M4/M16A2 based weapns, the M16VN(well mine anyway) has an unwindowed gearbox, but it would make sence for TM to produce one shell for the job instead of two so any of the TM armalites that come with a one peice hop unit will come with an unwindowed box only if it was made before TM started to produce the M4/M16a2(its possible TM made a stock pile of the gearbox cases since there most popular guns at the time use them and only recently ran out of the unwindowed ones and statred useing the windowed one in there place as it wont make a difference), and any with the split hop, should have windowsto alow the uper receiver to swing out instead of haveing to slide out like on the M16A1/VN and other early guns.

In short, if it has quick take down it has windows for sure, no quick takedown, it wont always have them.

Thanks for all the responses so far guys.

Okay, a fully updated list goes...

• Version 1 Gearbox...

TM FAMAS F1

TM FAMAS SV

• Version 2 Gearbox...

TM MP5-A & SD Series (No window)

TM M16 / M4 Series (windowed)

TM XM177e2 /m16a1 /m16VN  (no window)

TM M733 (windowed)

ICS MP5-A Series (no window)

TM G3 Series (inc G3-SAS) (no window)

TM MC51(no window)

CA MP5-A Series (no window, older models atleast)

CA Armalite Series (windowed)

G&G Armalite Series (windowed)

G&P Armalite Series (windowed)

• Version 3 Gearbox...

TM G36c

TM AK47 / 74 Series

TM MP5k & MP5k-PDW

TM AUG Series

TM Sig Series

CA G36c

• Version 4 Gearbox...

TM PSG-1

• Version 5 Gearbox...

TM Uzi

• Version 6 Gearbox...

TM Thompson SMG

TM P90

NOTE: both v6 gearbox guns have slightly different motor alignment, but are the same gearbox

• Version 7 Gearbox...

TM M14

• Custom boxes...

G&G UMG

CA M249

Systema Training Rifle

Staticzero: The Star UMG uses the G36 as a base so that must be a v3 gearbox I guess - as this is the case, it will not be included in this list as it is a conversion kit - not a seperate gun.  However, I have heard from reliable sources that the G&G UMG has a TOTALLY different custom gearbox that is not similar to anything else currently on the market.  Can you confirm or deny this?

Okay, so is this now a comprehensive list?  Have we missed anything out?  Answere please oh revered experts of Arnie's :)

BTW - Bullzebub: Yes, on reflection (and after taking apart another 10 or so AEGs), "Windowed" vs "Non-Windowed" would be useful on this list.  The "windows" appear to be allowances for the tabs on armalites, and as there are two different ways of taking apart armalites based on the presence of windows (or not), it would be worth having the info for this list.  Empart away my friend ;)

updated it ...

oh .. .and the M249 box is mostly called "PGC box (clone)"

And TM doesnt produce any AK74... :-P

Technically the windowed gearboxes are V2.5 as they were an update to the design for newer aeg's.

There is also a version .5 for the V6's, though can't remember if the  Thompson or P90 came out first. Think its Thompson V6 and P90 V6.5

But really the v6 box used in both the thompson and p90 is identical. Only difference is the motor mount like pointed out earlier in the thread.

Staticzero: The Star UMG uses the G36 as a base so that must be a v3 gearbox I guess - as this is the case, it will not be included in this list as it is a conversion kit - not a seperate gun.  However, I have heard from reliable sources that the G&G UMG has a TOTALLY different custom gearbox that is not similar to anything else currently on the market.  Can you confirm or deny this?

the UMG uses a v3 gearbox... :)

static mentioned this above, and I have the same gun, which I have looked and it is a v3 gearbox...

Technically the windowed gearboxes are V2.5 as they were an update to the design for newer aeg's.

There is also a version .5 for the V6's, though can't remember if the  Thompson or P90 came out first. Think its Thompson V6 and P90 V6.5

Thompson came before the P90 :)

So Thompson is V6, P90 is V6.5

Also would that make the Aug a V3.5?

One small thing:

You might add that the AUG and P90 have no selector plate, as do G3, M4 et al, but a trigger-like thingy attatched to the bottom of the gearbox, with one set of contacts in the greabox istself for semi, and another set on the back of the trigger-like part and the motor cage for full auto. Small, but important to those of us who only have semi by law, or want to deactivete f/a for semi only games.

But really the v6 box used in both the thompson and p90 is identical.  Only difference is the motor mount like pointed out earlier in the thread.

And the motor possition, trigger mech, wiring and associated fixtures that make this possible.

Thompson came before the P90 :)

So Thompson is V6, P90 is V6.5

Also would that make the Aug a V3.5?

Nope, they never called it that for some reason. Suspect its due to main parts like motor possition being unchanged. They effectively just shoved an AK gearbox into the AUG.

Nope, they never called it that for some reason. Suspect its due to main parts like motor possition being unchanged. They effectively just shoved an AK gearbox into the AUG.

Ah fair enough, i thought the motor was in a different position.

Ta for that :)

The Star UMP is available as a complete AEG. The kit was only a limited run before the full AEG came out, and is no longer available AFAIK. Here is the Star UMP AEG at WGC: http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...EG-UMP_srch_UMP

The G&G UMG uses a version three gearbox, not a custom one. I haven't tried it, but I'm fairly sure I could pull it out of my UMG and pop it right in my G36 with little trouble (there's probably a difference in the nozzle, and I'd need to swap on the rear screw bracket to do it properly). It's just a copy of a v3 box made by G&G. There are minor differences, mostly in terms of how wires are routed and secured, but this is true of all v3 (and other) gearboxes found in different models.

You can refer to the pictures of the gearbox in Arnies's CA36C review here: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn=/r...36c_review5.htm

And my own pictures of the UMG gearbox starting on this page, here: http://photos.returners.org/gallery/UMG?page=3

Yes, but No slayer, the AK and AUG use the same ones, but there are 4 diferent lengths of motor used in TM aegs, or to be more accurate, two diferent lenghts of motor and three diferent lengths of spindle on the slightly longer motor. Theres the FAMAS motor, the short from the AK, G36, styer and Tompson, the medium from the Sig and PSG1, and the Long from the M16/M4s, P90 and G3.

Thanks again all. Wow, we're really getting a comprehensive list here. Here's the latest...

• Version 1 Gearbox...

TM FAMAS F1

TM FAMAS SV

• Version 2 "Windowed" Gearbox...

TM M16 / M4 Series (excluding M16A1 or M16VN)

TM M733

CA Armalite Series

G&G Armalite Series

G&P Armalite Series

• Version 2 "Un-windowed" Gearbox...

TM MP5-A & SD Series

ICS MP5-A & SD Series

CA MP5-A & SD Series

TM XM177e2 / M16A1 / M16VN

TM G3 Series (inc G3-SAS)

TM MC51

• Version 3 Gearbox...

TM G36c

TM AK47 Series

TM MP5k & MP5k-PDW

TM AUG Series

TM Sig Series

CA G36c

G&G UMG

STAR UMP

• Version 4 Gearbox...

TM PSG-1

• Version 5 Gearbox...

TM Uzi

• Version 6 Gearbox...

TM Thompson SMG

TM P90

NOTE: both v6 gearbox guns have different motor alignment, but are the same gearbox

• Version 7 Gearbox...

TM M14

• Custom boxes...

CA M249 / PGC Box

Systema Training Rifle

ICS M4 / M16

Staticzero: Many thanks for the UMG photos - yup, that most certainly is a version 3 gearbox - great pics. I will have words with my 'reliable source' :)

Bullzebub: Many thanks for the Windowed info - I have split the v2 section in to two to reflect this. ;)

Thank you all for all your help! :vodka:

So is this it? Do we have every mainstream AEG listed and put in the correct gearbox category? Surely there must be something we've missed. ;)

Glad to be of service.

I believe the G&G M14 has a custom gearbox, perhaps your source was confused?

In any event, might want to add the G&G M14 and SOC16 to that list under custom gearboxes.

Also, FWIW, the UTG MP5 has a windowed v2. Yes, the gun is just a TM copy, but it's distinct in this regard (as well as a few other details). Might be worthy of the list as it's getting a lot of attention.

It might also be good to note that you can often use windowed v2s in guns that use non-windowed v2s, but not the other way around. In fact, I don't know of a case where this isn't true.

Archived