Star M249 Para Examined...

It wasnt that difficult. I did have to do some modification to the reciever(where the feedcover locks in place) There you have to dremel in a few mm's and then you have to make new locking points for the new CA feedcover locking buttons(which I still havent got a hold of)

Overall it takes some time, but in my opinion it's worth it, the whole feel of the weapon is different with the metal feed tray cover :)

(BTW, the best would be to get a full feed tray cover(with locking bits and everything) Dont think they sell it anywhere, but maybe if you contact CA they might be to some assistance)

Just got this in the mail:

m249_boks1.jpg

m249_boks2.jpg

That is a RS 100rd mag, no function, just for the looks. Maybe I'll try to transfer the internals from a STAR mag into this :P

Edited by Gundrosen
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took some time, but it wasnt that difficult. Mine came without the part to secure the stock to the weapon, so I had to use the part from the old stock(which required quite a bit of dremeling) But if you manage to find a complete stock it might fit right on(although I must mention that on my MK1 stock(that is complete) the part that secures the stock to the weapon is slightly different then the STAR version and will NOT fit. But I am not sure if it is the same with RS MKII as mine came incomplete)

Hi there, part of my decision to buy the STAR M249 was because of this excellent review thread (kudos to all) the other part was because of the ease of changing out the gearbox and the upcoming availability of a range of ready made custom gearboxes:-

Red Gearbox

Then they decided against releasing prebuilt gearboxes

Being a gearbox virgin I have managed to swap out the spring for a SP110 and a SP120 for experimental purposes but have reached the limits of my knowledge.

What I'd really like to do is build a gearbox from scratch based around this:-

Metal Gearbox

I am aiming for something that will run (very) high speed on a 10.8/12V battery whilst pushing the SP110 spring.

Specificaly what piston/gears/motor/tappitythings/etc/etc do I need?

What advice would you offer?

All help is greatfully appreciated. If possible could you provide links to the items (preferrably on Airsoft Global so I can see what you are talking about.

This is my first internals airsoft project - thanks for making it a good one.

Jamie

Thank You FC :)

So do You think that if You have a spare gear box, and your gun let You down ,You should be able to replace it on the field and be good to go?

Me and my team mate (both SAWgunner) are looking for a weapon that We can bring with Us in a 48hours game and can stand the "heat".... :flamed:

Ciao

Cpt Kaos

Hi there, part of my decision to buy the STAR M249 was because of this excellent review thread (kudos to all) the other part was because of the ease of changing out the gearbox and the upcoming availability of a range of ready made custom gearboxes:-

Red Gearbox

Then they decided against releasing prebuilt gearboxes 

Being a gearbox virgin I have managed to swap out the spring for a SP110 and a SP120 for experimental purposes but have reached the limits of my knowledge.

What I'd really like to do is build a gearbox from scratch based around this:-

Metal Gearbox

I am aiming for something that will run (very) high speed on a 10.8/12V battery whilst pushing the SP110 spring.

Specificaly what piston/gears/motor/tappitythings/etc/etc do I need?

What advice would you offer?

All help is greatfully appreciated. If possible could you provide links to the items (preferrably on Airsoft Global so I can see what you are talking about.

This is my first internals airsoft project - thanks for making it a good one.

Jamie

anyone?

@[FC] pish ma JoBie, from what I have heard, using other then STAR parts may cause you some trouble. My tip would be to use as many STAR parts as you can :)

But I shure wish STAR would release the RED gearbox(not for the FPS, as I can only have it 350 anyway) but because of durability, I've already had to replace the piston in my stock gearbox :huh:

K, so i bought a used on one of these sucks, but have a problem. The gun only seems to shot like 200 Fps or lower. Now ive open up the mec boxs and everything seems fine. It puts out a nice punch of air, no problem. So there for i guess the problem would be in the hop up!!! I just can't seem to figure out what could be slowing down the BB's. Any suggestions? Thank you

Ian

try replacing the hop up rubber, if it looks ok, try wrapping teflon tape around the outside of it. if you take the barrel out with the hop up chamber still attached, and you put your finger over the hop up end, and blow through the muzzle end you shouldnt feel any air escaping through the hop up chamber. I had the same problem you are describing, and nothing was wrong with the gun, the hop up leaked.

Edited by WarMonger
try replacing the hop up rubber, if it looks ok, try wrapping teflon tape around the outside of it. if you take the barrel out with the hop up chamber still attached, and you put your finger over the hop up end, and blow through the muzzle end you shouldnt feel any air escaping through the hop up chamber. I had the same problem you are describing, and nothing was wrong with the gun, the hop up leaked.

Are you saying the hop up rubber or the rubber bucking?, and when u say cover the hop up end do you mean the very end and feeding hole? Also with the teflon tape what exactly do you want to wrap the bucking or the barrel? PICS would really help, we got a big game this saturday and i am trying my hardest to get this thing shooting right, any and all help is appreciated thanks guys.