Vietnam SF loadout

screamin_weasel

he will.

unfortunately i missed out on that ebay auction, as i didnt want to win it then find out he wouldnt send it. but fortunately he said he has another one, and i offered to pay what that one sold for on ebay ($17), + postage. this is only if i agree to the postage costs, which he is finding out for me. but i most probably will, it cant be much like you said.

edit - what a bummer. he offered the spare belt ot he winning bidder befor ei even had a chance to read his e-mail offerieng me it. oh well, im in no hurry. :(

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

UPDATE :

WOO-HOO i just ordered the following :

Tigerstripe trousers, jacket and boonie (JWD style)

SF, MACV-SOG, airborne tab and name tape patches

OD canvas sling for my CAR-15

also my bro got an OD canvas sling and 101st patch, with nametapes aswell.

cant wait to get it !!

and my full metal CAR-15 and TM AK got sent out to me today !!!

You might want to look into the M1967 mag pouches for your 20rnd. M16 mags. They were made to fit these and were introduced late in the war. They were also available for the long 30rnd. mags and became later known as LC-1.

Also, if your depicting an "in-combat" look, then don't wear the patches at all. The MACV-SOG patch was very seldom used, if at all, by people who were in a combat zone. Behind the lines they could be worn, I suppose.

cheers dudes.

i know i shouldn't really have the patches on, but they just look mega cool, so im wearing them.

as for carrying my mags, im getting a BAR belt to put them in - seems to be an accepted and realistic method, and it saves buying loads of pouches, and a seperate belt.

and dont worry, as soon as it gets here i will get some pics. i just need to wear it in and get it looking a bit battered.

Also, if your depicting an "in-combat" look, then don't wear the patches at all. The MACV-SOG patch was very seldom used, if at all, by people who were in a combat zone. Behind the lines they could be worn, I suppose.

Actually, it really depends on which "branch" of SOG you're emulating. Project Delta included missions that were run inside the borders of South Vietnam. I've seen some photos that showed insignia, but most do not. Nobody wore the pocket patch during missions, or even off the compound. The pocket patch was deemed unofficial, but they pretty much did what they wanted. Project Omega included both in-country missions (called Locals) as well as missions across the fence into Laos and Cambodia. The Ground Studies Groups, OPS-35 was strictly missions across the fence, but included Locals from time to time. But no, insignia was usually not worn, but they do look cool.

YEEEEYYYYYYYAAAAYAYYAYAYAYAYA

my stuff is here dudes !!!!!

here is a pic of all the stuff i got today

DSCN2258smaller.jpg

a large majority is going towards my Nam impression. pleanty of info in the 'latest acquisition' thread, please check it out. :D

DSCN2266smaller.jpg

my tigerstripes. top quality, awesome looking, good fit, just a shame they have button up flies rather than a zip, oh well.

DSCN2265smaller.jpg

my patches. you all know what they are, BEEF is my bro, who is doing the 101st impression.

DSCN2261smaller.jpg

the slings for the CAR-15's

wr.jpg

midcaps and a spring for my metal car-15, bushings for the AK.

smaller.jpg

both my CAR-15's, one metal (with the mag) one internally upgraded. the spring is going in the metal one, bushings in the AK. i know the metal body isn't 100% correct, but its pretty close.

the tigers, patches and slings came from Moore Militaria, and it was a faultless transaction. ordered wednesday ngiht, here today. stunning performance.

edit - oh and my AK. getting the wood and metal treatment, but it'll be godo for those 'kill the gook and steal his gun' moments :D

DSCN2262smaller.jpg

Nice Weas...

Now just don't put those patches in the wrong spots or upsidown, ya hear?!? ;)

I'm digging the CARs, and you've got me jonesing for my new AK (is in town but my buddy who owns the shop was not back from vacation to pick it up at the post office...bummer).

I've also got the same tigers...got them in may and used them almost every scrim this summer...they seem to hold up well, and I'm tough on gear.

Cheers,

Nice Weas...

Now just don't put those patches in the wrong spots or upsidown, ya hear?!? ;)

Yeah, make damn sure that the Airborne tab goes on the left sleeve right below the shoulder seam; then add the SF sheild with the tip pointed upwards (check my avatar). MACV-SOG pocket patch goes on the left breast pocket and your name tape goes above the right pocket.

Looks good buddy.

• 4 months later...

correct gear load out is, (for any unit) M1956 webbing (for air mobile this include, 4 canteens, buttpack 2 ammo pouches, compass pouch)

at least 100 5.56mm rounds (every grunt carried for the 60)

ALICE pack (though most used its predecessor or the ARVN kit)

Jungle boots

depending on unit you could either have, Tigerstripes, Jungle Greens (1st 2nd or 3rd pattern)

most units had helmets with an oakleaf cover on them, others used boonies. again depends on what your doing, want any more pointers/pics give us a shout via PM and i'll give you my email addy.

Archived