anyone know about knives?

rock_ten

^ :lol:

Ka-Bar isn't too shabby either, and they usually go for around $60-$80. Fixed blade, pretty big, comes with a nice sheath. Why not?

Yes, Ka-bar is a great option.

Thinking in a Ka-bar like Warthog, medium size, for any use, very strong, and a very good and durable sheath.

Pic of the Ka-Bar Warthog

Pic Warthog with Sheath

I've many "Muela" and one of the worst thing is the Sheath, in military use, I don't recomend any, and for camping/survival use, the sheath is very important, look for a Kydex / Abs etc Sheath..

Got myself a Buck-Strider folder in the post at the moment - should be here in a week, absolute max :)

Strider design (legendary, frankly) with Buck quality and pricing - what's not to like?

A report on the way if it's of any use, as it'll be interesting to compare this to my CRKT Desert Cruiser.

hey, something i'm actually qualified to comment on :)

ka-bar knives are really a nono. i really doubt you'll be entering into unarmed ninja combat.

a good lock knife will serve you very well, as they are safe, since the blade goes 'away' when you are not using it. in terms of survival, a blade will ahve to be tough enough to function as a skinning tool, a cooking spike, a scalpel, a lever and a screwdriver. this leaves you the option of something like a multitool like the leatherman wave, pocketknife like the victorionox 'climber' or 'hunter', or a very tough folder like a crocodile knife (check out swords onlie at www.swordsonline.com ). i think the victorionox hunter should be best for your needs regarding a tool and a status symbol. they go from most outdoor retailers and you should be able to find one for under 40 pounds online.

good luck, choose sensibly.

Ingo

hey, something i'm actually qualified to comment on :)

Are you sure?...

Sorry mate, not having a go, but much of what you say is fundamentally incorrect.

What's a Ka-Bar got to do with fighting Ninja's?...... :huh: , they are a very good quality knife, more than suited for outdoor survival, except perhaps the version with the stacked leather washer handle, as in time the washers shrink and spin around on the handle.

Lock knives are not suited to survival use, they have neither the blade length, nor weight for light chopping tasks, which is almost mandatory for shelter and fire building. Using a knife as a lever was mentioned, this is one of the first no no's you are taught when using a knife, especially a lock knife.

Someone mentioned Extrema's being overpriced, have you tried one, owned one?

They are one of the best made knives available at ANY cost - you get what you pay for!

With regard to multi tools, they would make a sensible compliment / back-up, but for an all out survival knife, on which your life may depend, it's a good quality, fixed blade with a full tang every time...... ;)

I have an Extrema yes it is the best knife I have ever owned but I still think they are over-priced. They are exceptionally easy to sharpen and they keep their edge. I also agree that folders and multi-tools are no match to the full tang sheath kinife.

Which one do you have out of interest?

IMO, they are expensive, yes, but not overpriced when considering the materials and construction methods involved ( and compared to some other makes ).

Ka-Bar, I think, along with Muela represent the best VFM out there at the moment.

With a lot of them you are paying a premium for the name and not for the product.

I have a Shrapnel, the blade is only 4 inches but it is perfect for my needs

Yes, that's a nice knife. I had a Fulcrum for a while ( sold to fund other things ), but it was the dogs dangly things. I've always preferred Tanto blades, as the "tanto" end is easy to keep razor sharp and suited for light chisseling, skinning and gutting. Tanto blades, by nature of their design, also keep the full thickness of the blade nearly to the point and are very tough.

Using a knife as a lever was mentioned, this is one of the first no no's you are taught when using a knife, especially a lock knife.

"A knife is the most expensive and least effective prybar you will ever own"

As recommended previously hennie <insert amusing *albartroth* quip> are quite a reliable retailer.

My knife collection is unfortunately the only one that exceeds my collection of holsters I've bought & discarded over the years.

Muele - Spanish? Got a nice heavy throwing knife off them a while back.

Speaking as someone who uses a knife as a mainstay of my working kit I can't stress enough spending money on a decent knife pays back ten fold when you really need it. I talking about using it as a tool (probably the most important one man has ever created) not some Numpty arsed ninja wannabe idiot.

I qualify this by saying that although I have a couple of very expensive but well made knives you can't beat a £2.99 kitchen devil for sharpness. They will cut sheet metal and wire quite happily, be it the blade will be *fruitcage* afterwards. I've seen guys with a £120 green river knife cut wire & destroy the blade so why bother.

Buy a box of 6 Devils, grind the point down & drill a hole in the handle for a lanyard. Cut off a bit of the hose pipe to hold it. Job done.

i got this one but a week a go, looks good but its a sack of wank. it came blunt and wont hold an edge even when sharpened with a diamond stone, a total waste of money.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jungle-Survival-Kniv...1QQcmdZViewItem

wish id found this site first, lodas of good stuff here and at cheap prices

http://www.wholesaleknives.co.uk/military_...ival_knives.htm

I Carry the following knives when i go Camping Hiking Shooting and any other outdoor Activity

My everyday Carry knife since i was 12 has been a Victorinox Huntsman its never let me down

I always carry attached to my Pack a Buck NightHawk

nitehawk.jpg

OR my all time Favorite knive

MY Buck Special 119 same knife used in the movie Scream

119special.jpg

Ive found camping that those 2 are some of the best ive used.

You ever actually skinned an animal? :huh:

Partially-serrated blades are my favourite because they rock for cutting paracord.

All you need to cut paracord is another piece of paracord - you measure off the length you want and create a loop where you want to cut it. Stand on the paracord approx 8" from the loop to stop it moving around. Now feed a loose end of paracord through the loop, grip the loose end in one hand and with the other get hold of the loose piece about 12" further down. Pull the loose piece upwards against the loop so that it's tight and then quickly saw it backwards and forwards through the loop (imagine you're using a wire saw). In a few seconds the friction generated will melt through the loop where you wanted it cut. Simple! :)

All you need to cut paracord is another piece of paracord - you measure off the length you want and create a loop where you want to cut it.  Stand on the paracord approx 8" from the loop to stop it moving around.  Now feed a loose end  of paracord through the loop, grip the loose end in one hand and with the other get hold of the loose piece about 12" further down.  Pull the loose piece upwards against the loop so that it's tight and then quickly saw it backwards and forwards through the loop (imagine you're using a wire saw).  In a few seconds the friction generated will melt through the loop where you wanted it cut.  Simple! :)

Yes, thanks for that......... :mellow:

But not really related whatsoever to the original posters question eh?

......and I refer to the above post as well......... :rolleyes:

Yes, thanks for that......... :mellow:

But not really related whatsoever to the original posters question eh?

......and I refer to the above post as well......... :rolleyes:

Given that the original poster was requesting information about knive for use for camping/survival and that I've seen people lose knives, tents and other kit in flash floods, I was just trying to point out that there are alternative (and slightly lower tech) ways of achieving the same task. I agree that it's, easier to use a knife, but if your knife is three miles downriver and you need to cut paracord to rig a tarpaulin, you're a bit stuck. :)

Something else I know about!

Alright, I hunt - Alot. Thusly out doors and such.

Now, if your in America, I might help. If your not, then... Probably not to so much.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...MainCatcat20712

Great selection of knives.

Ones I recomend:

Anything by Knives of Alaska. These things are Fing tough as hell. If you seen the stuff I've cut through with them, you would agree. Rugged, they keep a blade like no other, and generally probably, the best knife I've ever used.

Anything by Benchmade. A military (sometimes) maker of knives. They are wonderful knives, I carry a benchmade flip up knife on me some times. Roughly 4 inch long. Not sure of the legality of it in the UK, but in the US it's something you don't want to have out in the public. Their fixed blade series is extremely tough. As well, they have a life time warrenty and the like.

SOG Knives. Good knives, I have not owned one yet - since, everything I need is made by Knives of Alaska. But, I've heard good things. Third on my list, not exactly high on my choice - but a good knife for the price.

But, I would highly recomend:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...0889&hasJS=true

and

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...0889&hasJS=true

- African one would fit your needs best due to it being serrated.

A tad out of your price range? Well, then don't buy the best of the best :) Which is where bench made and SOG come in.

Archived