anyone know about knives?

rock_ten

Hey dudes. Im looking to buy a knife for camping, general outdoor/survival kind of things. Im thinking that maybe a fixed blade would be better - pen knives are common enough. There arent any shops around here that sell knives very much, except one. It sells just about everything, lots of gift-type things, including a load of cheap airsoft guns. Two of the knives were of the Muela brand if that means anything to anyone, they were about £20 I think. I dont mind spending more money if its a good quality knife

can anyone advise me on the type of knife, size, brand, suppliers, etc

thanks dudes

--Joe

Hey dudes. Im looking to buy a knife for camping, general outdoor/survival kind of things. Im thinking that maybe a fixed blade would be better - pen knives are common enough. There arent any shops around here that sell knives very much, except one. It sells just about everything, lots of gift-type things, including a load of cheap airsoft guns. Two of the knives were of the Muela brand if that means anything to anyone, they were about £20 I think. I dont mind spending more money if its a good quality knife

can anyone advise me on the type of knife, size, brand, suppliers, etc

thanks dudes

--Joe

If this is for outdoor use, get a fixed blade, that including the handle and blade is just over 12 inches long. If the knife doesn't already come with a sheath don't get it, its ######, if the sheath it comes with is crappy and if you stab the sheath with the knife and it goes through don't get it. If the knife come with a true leather sheath thats gunna be a reputable manufacturer.

If you want the knife to be more versitile, get a (I forget the name of the brand but there logo is a dear, just the head, and it is surround by something I would call a crest. They make ONLY red and black knifes(majority are red). I have one that I got for $80 and its one of my favorite knives.

Muela are not a bad make, they are generally reasonable quality.

For true outdoor/survival use, I would use a fixed blade, preferably with a full tang and a blade thickness of around 5mm. You need a blade with a reasonable hardness, around the 56/57 rockwell scale, or it will blunt very quickly.

A good choice would be something like the Ka Bar tanto for around £60.

Locknives are still useable, but cheap ones are no good as the blade to handle fixing will always be suspect.

Check out THIS

thanks for the fast replies dudes. Theres LOADS of knives on ebay, very cheap too. for example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tanto-Hunting-Knife-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bowie-Hunting-Knife-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-8-Hunting-Knife-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

I gues theyre *beep*?

--Joe

I can recommend the SOG Seal Pup.

I picked mine up off eBay for about half of what they retail for over here, despite paying shipping from the US.

It's a top knife, full-tang with a nice grippy handle and a partly-serrated blade. Very rust-resistant and holds an edge well, too.

The new 'Groove' sheath they come with is naff, though - try finding one with the old sheath, like I did.

The blade is about 4.75", if that helps.

Top brands to look for include SOG, CRKT, Spyderco, Buck, Fallkniven, Gerber, and of course, Strider (if you can afford it!).

If you want a folding knife, CRKT and Spyderco are probably your best bet (along with Strider), but the above are all good.

CRKT, SOG, Spyderco, Buck and Gerber all tend to be fairly affordable if you shop around, too.

Oh, and remember - buy cheap and buy twice. Of course, with something like a knife, buy cheap and you may pay twice in more ways than one...

Photo_042705_002.jpg

Photo_042705_001.jpg

The liner lock because the owner/user bought cheap.

Ouch.

I've got a Muela, can't praise it enough, the one thing that you have to do though (i'm not sure if this is all muela or just mine) but it came in a hard plastic sheath which dulls the blade very quickly so i've got a fabric sheath from my kit shop which is much better. nice hard metal fixed blaed with a good finger guard on it tang goes very deep into the handle (which is a good rubber). I've had it 4 years and since i replaced the sheath i've had to sharpen it once, it gets quite heavy use so thats pretty good i think

Cheers

Mig

thanks for all the replies dude, I appreciate them

mig_eater what muela do you have? The shop I saw sells teh scorpion and mirage. There is another shop in my town that I think sells fishing and hunting things, I will have a look in there and see what they sell

--Joe

EDIT: here are those two Muela's http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/knives-s...ge-scorpion.asp

--Joe

The other thing, by the way, is do you want it to be legal to carry on the street?

If you do, then you're looking at a folding knife, sub-3" blade, with no lock.

Just thought I'd tell you, lest you attempt to walk down the street with, say, a 4" folder in your pocket.

The other thing, by the way, is do you want it to be legal to carry on the street?

If you do, then you're looking at a folding knife, sub-3" blade, with no lock.

Just thought I'd tell you, lest you attempt to walk down the street with, say, a 4" folder in your pocket.

apart from getting it home, that doesnt matter really. Id have it when "outdoors" etc

The old Wilkinson sword knives are excellent. Buck are excellent. Frost clippers are excellent and only cost £10. The ones with the surrounded dear head are browning, they also make badminton rackets which are good. Extremas are overpriced. Out of all these I would go with the Buck Vanguard, I don't have one but I have used, they are excellent. And for god's sake if you're in the UK don't buy a machete type thing there is no need, they have a larger cutting edge than anything elses, that is why they are usually reserved for tropical and savahna type regions. Plus which they are quite heavy.

Archived