Billet Alloy V2 Gearboxes

Walking Wounded

I noticed that almost all the folks that had an issue with cost were from the United States :( .  FYI this Product was designed, tested, funded, manufactured and distributed in the United States.  Yes I could probably shave $$$ if I shipped it off to china (nothing against china) for machining but I like to keep jobs at home.  As a side note I have a company that is also partially based in the UK.  Those jobs are also kept home in the UK.  Its an operating principle of my companies.  We are in the defense industry.

I'm not complaining about the price, I applaud you for being able to cnc a box from solid stock, AND R&D it at that cost, most people in airsoft dont understand how much time goes into machining stuff, and normal machine shop costs are in excess of $60/hr.

I was running with the assumption you went the easy way and used 6061, hah :P I wish I remembered a bot but I remember a battlebot using a fancy military alloy aluminium on his wedge and he ended up shatterying every steel weapon that he faced >.> wildness.

Me being curious, how far off were the original gearbox measurements? I know the holes are off on either side, I'm guessing the gear mesh distance was off quite a bit? ;)

What is the replacement cost for OEM bearing bushings if they happen to need to be replaced?

Have not given that much thought we only have 5 production units out at this time.

Costs will be in line with those in HK. In any case we used a 7mm bearing so that you are not dependent on us for these parts. Any Airsoft 7mm bearing will work so you have some options.

We designed all of the parts / screws / bearings to be replaceable using standard Airsoft parts or parts that are readily available form stores such as DIY (UK) or Home Depot (US)

Me being curious, how far off were the original gearbox measurements? I know the holes are off on either side, I'm guessing the gear mesh distance was off quite a bit? ;)

The standard gearboxes are way off - 1st the gearbox sides are not parallel. I don’t think anyone is shocked by this. Next as you pointed out the holes on one side of the box do not align with the holes on the other side. Lastly the spacing between holes is inconsistent in each side.

All of these vary from model to model and from unit to unit.

mthaynes: Thanks for clearing all that up. I have a great deal more admiration for you and your product now that I know how you go about making the gearboxes. Very classy to not outsource jobs to third world countries. :D

Thank you,

I will try and get some shots up today of some of these – Just wrestling with a selector plate problem on the bench and snapped a couple of photos.

• 3 weeks later...

Well my main issue is that I don't have the funds for the mechbox right now. Well I do, but it's not a priority. I'm curious about this product, but it's not that critical for me. I actually have an EOTech and Trijicon scope ahead on my list. But I love doing high FPS and high ROF mods so I'd like to try it out. I'll hope for the best in the future.

Flash, you just missed it.  COntact Jeff at andairsoft.com as he may have an extra.

Jeff does not have any extra – he actually sold out before me.

The costs of CNC mill time cost more then the box retailed for.  As per MTHayes, it took over 5 hrs per gearbox to mill from solid billet....5hrs of CNC time = buku bucks

Nooooooo. :o:o While the boxes do take 5 hours to make they do not cost more than what they were retailed for. Please don’t start that rumor . If that was the case I would have never made any.

Here’s the deal. I make x dollars from each box. I also have other projects. Some of those projects make more money than the box project. So I run those projects first – it’s a money thing so the bank tells me. In any case I have more bigger $ producing projects than I have capacity / capital for so the box project gets shelved until I have surplus capital and machine time. Simple as that. I have quite a few projects that sit in the same category as the box project. Most companies do.

Will we make more - I do not plan to at this time, however tomorrow is a different day. If I do jump on them this time :)

• 1 month later...
anyways, does having a box this crazily solid and having everything lined up silence the gearnoise much?

Oh that’s one of the best questions yet.

OK the material resonates differently. Since the alloy is not as dense as the zinc casting it actually can produce more noise that stock box everything held constant. However, as you pointed out it is much more precise in its design, so you have the ability to set it up with much more accuracy than normal. This does reduce the noise. Overall it is comparable to what you expect today.

A fine product which I'm sure you must be very chuffed with. I can certainly appreciate the cost involved here.

Darklite,

Someone must see the point considering 200+ units have been shifted and no doubt that is what the concept of market research is for.

Proof is in the pudding at the end of the day.

I have a few questions.

How many bolt holes have been tapped to allow attachment of the pistol grip and would it allow me to screw in four bolts for maximum pistol grip security?

Are the front corners of the cylinder area rounded out to alleviate stress?

Do you use bolts or self tappers to hold the gearbox together and are they counter-sunk, Phillips or Allen headed etc?

Cheers.

I really don't see how this is needed unless you are pretty much continously firing your AEG on a PDI 350% for over a month.

Well I shoot a Prometheus 135ms in 10f degree weather with confidence at 28+ balls per sec using an 11.1 volt.

Again this is a performance part. Not for all but for some who like to push the envelope. This product was designed to blow up the envelope.

I get emails from folks telling me about the crazy stuff they have done with this box and the parts they have used to build some of the sickest guns I have seen to hit the field. Very fun stuff.

I have a few questions.

How many bolt holes have been tapped to allow attachment of the pistol grip and would it allow me to screw in four bolts for maximum pistol grip security?

A: We tap 4 holes so you are good to go. We do tap them deeper that some of the other reinforced gearboxes

Are the front corners of the cylinder area rounded out to alleviate stress?

A: No we do not - its not necessary with these, however If you would like to radius the front - go for it.

Do you use bolts or self tappers to hold the gearbox together and are they counter-sunk, Phillips or Allen headed etc?

We use a 5-40 alloy socket head (Allen) cap screw. They are counter sunk into the gear box for a smooth exterior finish. Following is a picture.

Each gearbox comes with a 15 page instruction manual that is filled with tips and installation techniques to get the most out of your installation. Several folks that have bought these boxes have begun to use the tips they found in our instruction manual when building standard gearboxes. Following are some product photos.

site1107.JPG

Archived