STAR L85 Blowback kit avaliable now!

sadigh

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I have had chance to have a play with this now :)

Comes nicely packaged in a re-sealable bag, seems to be a popular way of packing airsoft parts.

You get three main parts in the package, New gearbox with slot molded in the top and also pre-cut in the slide on metal strip, a new trigger micro switch and of course the new bolt cover.

The new switch is'nt really needed I just used my original one, still nice to have a spare incase things go wrong.

Upon inspection the gearbox has a slight revision to it. The threaded holes for the body screws that secure the gearbox to the receiver seem to have been extended right to the edge of the gearbox so no chance of stripping out plastic here.

The bolt cover is longer inside the gun so that it can travel back with the piston. The kit works much the same as the guarder BB kit for the AK from what I have heard of that.

Fitting......

This is not a drop in replacement, some fettling work is required.

First off it is obvious that the plastic retaining discs that hold on the cheek rest need reducing in height to allow the bolt cover to travel back with the piston. I believe someone has covered shaving the height of these off for modifying the existing bolt to travel further back. When you look inside the top of the receiver you will notice that the forward one of these discs is shorter than the rear two, the rear ones need trimming down to match or the bolt cover will foul on them. Fired up the dremel and shaved these down then finished with a file and some paper to make them smooth.

Next up was changing the charging handle, this did not want to fit into the new bolt cover so I carefully filed the edges till it was a nice snug fit.

When replacing the bolt cover into the top of the receiver you only use one of the screws from the old one or the cover will not be able to fully move back.

Also note that the position of the return spring is much further back on the new bolt cover and this stretches the return spring somewhat. I will be replacing mine with a better length slightly stronger spring from my spares box.

Next up it's onto the gearbox, pretty standard stuff really, take apart old box making notes where parts go. I just took piccies on the digi camera as a reference point.

Put the parts into the new gearbox and lube it up. It's obvious upon closing the gearbox halves that this is going to need a re-shimming job, one gear i can see has a full 1-2mm of play and can almost slip out of mesh. As i didn't have any shims to hand i have built the gearbox anyway and will have to re-visit it before using it in anger. I've tested the running out with a lower voltage battery and no spring or piston in the gearbox and everything else runs nice and smoothly even without the required shims.

Next the gearbox goes back into the lower receiver and the top is put back on, pay attention to piston position here and make sure it is fully forward or you are guessing where to hold the bolt when you replace the top half of the receiver. As with the std gearbox the screw holding the charging handle on just catches on the edge of the gearbox but a few rack backs of the handle and it's no longer catching.

Firing, Wooohooo a moving bolt! I didn't fire off too many shots what with the gearbox needing a shim job but i couldn't very well leave it sitting there untested:P

Works quite nicely, still needs a little fettling and freeing up in places as it does not always return to closed position after every shot, a bit like you can see in the star demo vid, however a little light sanding and careful application of some lube and it should be working fine.

Conclusion

Not a job for the faint hearted who don't like taking gearboxes apart, but if you can safely weald a screw driver and you are not a ham fisted jock then it's pretty straightforward.

Overall I'm very pleased to have a working bolt on my L85, even if it can reduce the lifetime of the piston somewhat, I'm not that bothered, pistons are cheap and easy enough to replace. IMO It's well worth the $30 and a few hours work.

Southpaws and Lefties

Prompted by a message from the Bauer I've shouldered and fired the gun with my left hand..........

If you have a small nose you should in theory be ok, the bolt does not move back any further then the stock bolt, but it is a bit disconcerting having that flaking about right in front of your face :blink:

I can try an take some pictures of the part's I have filed down if anyone really wants to see them but if you own an L85 and have had the receiver off you should know what I mean.

Works via the compression cycle of the mainspring, the notch on the cocking handle gets pulled back by the piston. The cocking handle then returns to its original position via its return spring

That sounds great when a tree branch or other obstruction gets behind your cocking handle when you squeeze the trigger. Stripped pistons are fun! :rolleyes:

Hey Sao,

I would appreciate any pics of parts that had to be trimmed, and your gearbox in general if you would not mind, as I am a forgetful ham fisted jock.

Thanks,

Ron

I'll try to get some pictures up but my camera and PC are not seeing eye to eye at the moment. :angry: Basically the only bit I had to mod were where the cheek rest is held onto the receiver, on the inside there are 3 green bits, the one near the front is shorter than the rear two, all you need to do is shave the rear two down to match the front one and the bolt will fit in nicely.

I managed to get some time last night to pull the gearbox apart and re-shim the gears, then I encountered a problem..... No more single shot :o:blink:

I could get it to fire on single only by selecting Auto then switching back, scratched my head for a while then pulled the gearbox out again and had a proper look.

Found the problem, it appears I too am a Ham Fisted Jock :blush::blush:

I noticed the small black part internal to the gearbox that pushes on the micro switch was jumping up and getting jammed on the selector plate..... Couldn't figure out why at first then as I was loostening off the screws the black bit popped back into place :D

Seems I had torqued up the screws a tad too tight and the black part was just sticking and not returning to it's correct resting place.

I also noted that the screw holding the charging handle fouls ever so slightly on the gearbox (the original one did as well) so I carefully ran a file over the area and removed the smallest amount of material. The bolt now moves freely.

UPDATE ON LEFTIES AND SOUTHPAWS

The charging handle CAN hit you in the corner of the mouth if you have your head pushed up to look thru the iron sights, I have my carry handle / iron sights slightly forward of the cheek rest so you can see part of the rail. I imagine if you have the handle further back then the charging handle won't hit you in the gob but it is pretty close. And yes it does hurt.

Overall I am very pleased with the blowback kit, it was'nt too hard to fit and adds a nice bit of realism to the gun. I always loved the moving bolt on my PSG-1.

I know this addition will not do reliability and durability any favours at all but as a trade off for realism I'm willing to accept the risks.

Also, the star l85 piston is made out of an aluminium alloy, making it very strong indeed. Why do they choose to replace it with an ABS Marui piston? huh.gif

Well having had mine apart a few times now I can confirm that my piston is NOT ally it is indeed a plastic piston

Archived