I almost lost an eye.

LoneWolf

So I took the 'ol PTW for some garden target practice, and while blasting away a single BB bounced back and hit me right in the corner of my left eye. 3MM higher and it would cause heavy damage.

I've read stories about others getting hit in the eye/eye area while just doing target practice, you dont need an enemy to do you harm.

Is your eyesight worth more than 40USD? Hell yeah, so people dont make my mistake and invest in some shooting glasses. ESS offer cheap and Mil-spec ANSI rated glasses, so do Oakley and Guarder and many more. Pick up a pair and dont count on luck.

Cheers,

Mike

:cookiemonster:

Can better that, many years ago I was doing some plinking in the back garden using my HW45 .22 air pistol (with no eye protection) see big log, shoot big rotten log. Pellet bounces off and hits me on the eye lid. I blinked = not blind in left eye.

I didn't shoot the log ever again.

Maybe 2 years ago, I was working on my old G3. I had some feeding issues and tried shooting the gun upside down with a few BBs poured into the hop-up unit's feed tube. For some reason, the last BB didn't feed but shot out of the feed tube, hitting me right between my eyes.

Needless to say, now when I'm testing my guns to a short range, I always wear eye protection.

Can better that, many years ago I was doing some plinking in the back garden using my HW45 .22 air pistol (with no eye protection) see big log, shoot big rotten log. Pellet bounces off and hits me on the eye lid. I blinked = not blind in left eye.

I didn't shoot the log ever again.

Now put some shooting glasses/goggles on and blast the hell outta that log.

Glasses are a must. Eyes aren't replaceable ya know.

Really want to scare yourself, try a ricochet from a 12ft/lb air rifle, about quarter of an inch under your eye. Just see it whizzing towards you, then lots of pain ensues. Damn hardboard backstop. Realllly doesn't absorb much of the impact. <_<

Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't shoot without glasses.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?

Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.

Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad?"

Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine a small plastic pellet entering the soft orb of your eyeball, stopping your sight in that eye instantly and rendering you blind for the rest of your life.

Dr Ray Stantz: Total self-PWNage.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

:zorro:

Thank you Sledge, as always ;)

I've learnt from this, sure it was dumb not to wear eye safety eventhough I was shoting alone. Protection is cheap, health is priceless.

LEARN FROM THIS MISTAKE! There is always that one chance out of a million that the BB you just shot will bounce right back

Cheers,

Mike

Being a firearm owner myself, I think ALL airsofters should invest, if not be required to take firearms safety courses.

(or it's equivalent for you UKers and other citizens of anti-weapon countries))

95% of incidents could've never even happened had people been following the propper safety procedures required for the weapons being simulated <_<

Not only would it lead to a safer environment, it would give Airsoft a more professional, approachable style.

/rant

Now I know it wasn't funny then but now it is. Me and my friend Cabcat and his younger brother (8) were haveing a skirmish and his brother was wearing some cheap'o Mc' donalds glasses and cabcat shot him at 10-15 ft. and it cracked them in two. Little crybaby started whining. :D

Edit: typo'

Being a firearm owner myself, I think ALL airsofters should invest, if not be required to take firearms safety courses.

(or it's equivalent for you UKers and other citizens of anti-weapon countries))

95% of incidents could've never even happened had people been following the propper safety procedures required for the weapons being simulated  <_<

Not only would it lead to a safer environment, it would give Airsoft a more professional, approachable style.

/rant

I work with firearms on a daily basis. The problem in my opinion is that we treat airsoft weapons too much as toys, and too little as real firearms, safety wise.

Cheers,

Mike

I work with firearms on a daily basis. The problem in my opinion is that we treat airsoft weapons too much as toys, and too little as real firearms, safety wise.

Cheers,

Mike

Well, they are toys. But of course most people must understand that the eye, the softest part of our body, will need protection from anything thats likely to hit it unexpectedly.

If only we had uber reflexes + metal eyelids :P

Archived