Physical Fitness and Airsoft

craftiest

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am extremely aware of this since i have experienced it first hand. BUT if you live by a beach you should run on sand with added weight. This does not lead to injury.

That's like saying that fat people shouldn't run. What's the difference between the weight being hard metal or jiggly fat?

And would running on grass remedy the problem, in similar fashion to sand?

i don't care what shape you are, as long as you're motivated enough to carry on (after all, endurance is at least 70% willpower) and not slow the team down, you're in. as soon as people start dropping due to the excess lard then they can get off the damn field. so far though, to the larger lads' credit, i've never seen anyone of the more portly figure who hasn't been able to pull their weight, so no worries! having said this, why make it hard on yourself by carrying the excess bagage? just shape up a bit!

SS

Ps. to any mods who may be watching, the amount of fat-abuse in this thread far surpasses that which you just ######ed me and Heinkle for, hence i respectfully suggest you sort your *fruitcage* lives out, and if you're going to crack down on people, do it universally rather than picking on individuals.

Edit: mis-spelled Heinkle's name, sorry mate.

Lordy... whats the difference between jiggly fat and carrying like a big backpack with bricks in it?!?!?! whats the difference?!? Can you say, major stress of DIFFERENT PARTS OF YOUR BODY. The human body tends to try to distribute its fat stores in a even system to keep it proportional. Imagine if all your fat went to the right side of your chest or all the fat went to your back. Your body is build to be stronger at different areas. If your carrying a ###### load of weight in a backpack and running thats extra stress on your shoulders back etc. This is MUCH different then a 300 pound guy vs a 150 pound guy carrying a 150 pound backpack.

edit:

I think we should change "fat" to unfit. A guy thats 6 feet and 100 pounds can be unfit. You dont have to be horizontally challenged to be unfit.

If you're not seriously over weight, losing more than 1-3 pounds a week generally means a loss of muscle mass.

And Chris, your comment about "fat people" was uncalled for.

Listen people, this thread was not made to insult anyone. It was made to discuss the importance of physical fitness.

If anymore insulting posts are made, I will report them to the mods.

Thank you and have a day.

EDIT - The above statement ("...have a day") is not a typo. :rolleyes:

tbh, carrying weight increases stamina, as it increases the work load, a 300 pound guy is running with his body weight

same as a 150lbs guy

so no difference

both can be as fit

but different weight

carrying a pack is good anyway

Try tabbing with a burgen for any lenght of time :P and you'll know what i mean  ;)

No difference? Did you read my post? There is a huge difference between a guy that is 300 pounds running and a 150 guy pound guy carrying a 150 pound backpack. Unless the 300 pound guy is a a strange strange man, his fat should be PROPORTIONALLY distributed. Like I said, does all your fat store on your back or on your chest? NO. Fat stores in different areas of your body as it sees fit. The 150 pound guy carrying the backpack would have DIFFERENT AREAS of his body be stronger then what the 300 pound guy carrying nothing but his body weight would. The body adapts to its enviroment. A guy carrying a huge backpack everyday would develop better backmuscles and shoulder mouses. This is NOT the same as just carrying your body weight. HOWEVER if your distributed the extra weight to different areas of your body then it would be almost the same as the guy running carrying his own bodyfat.

Heres another example of distrubuted weight and condensed weight. If you live in a two story house, go upstairs. Say your 150 pounds and you start jumping around. Do you dent the wood? Hopefully not. If you took a 150 pound leadball and dropped it. The wood will crack/break/dent.

I aint fat...I just need to play more. My body was in a seriously unconditioned state (we're talking clapped out morris minor with no wheels at the back of the garden) the last game I went to and although I was able to do the entire 8 hours my poor old body was having a job - especially my knees.

The next day was the worst... going down stairs omfg what a nightmare, lol took nearly a week for my legs to recover. Serves me right for thinking I could throw my body into that kind of endurance-combat and getting away with it. Next time I definately won't be foregoing pre-game warming up because I'm half an hour late and the first game is about to start :P

signed: One unfit "old" man

P.S. oh yeah and "fat" people who play - good on ya ;)

Well you could always buy pads that are filled with 5 pounds and strap them to your ankles. This would make you faster. Im not saying ducktape 5 pounds to your ankles, sports places such as modells sell these kinda things for extreme training and are ment to fit your leg...this is of course you are really determined to buy weighted pads and starp them to your feet to get fit.

One thing my wife told me the other day, " Am I glad you got into airsoft, cause you have stoped drinking caffine rich drinks, IE Moutian Dew, and you also have defently lost some weight."

Personaly I weighed in starting airsoft a few months ago around 330, 4 months later Im down to 256 to all that running around.

"Airsoft, a good way to lose weight and to shoot your friends full of plastic" lol got to love it ;)

One thing my wife told me the other day, " Am I glad you got into airsoft, cause you have stoped drinking caffine rich drinks, IE Moutian Dew, and you also have defently lost some weight."

Personaly I weighed in starting airsoft a few months ago around 330, 4 months later Im down to 256 to all that running around.

"Airsoft, a good way to lose weight and to shoot your friends full of plastic"  lol got to love it ;)

*sighs*

If only my mom see airsoft like your wife... My mom see airsoft gun like bombs and knives.

No difference? Did you read my post? There is a huge difference between a guy that is 300 pounds running and a 150 guy pound guy carrying a 150 pound backpack. Unless the 300 pound guy is a a strange strange man, his fat should be PROPORTIONALLY distributed. Like I said, does all your fat store on your back or on your chest? NO. Fat stores in different areas of your body as it sees fit. The 150 pound guy carrying the backpack would have DIFFERENT AREAS of his body be stronger then what the 300 pound guy carrying nothing but his body weight would. The body adapts to its enviroment. A guy carrying a huge backpack everyday would develop better backmuscles and shoulder mouses. This is NOT the same as just carrying your body weight. HOWEVER if your distributed the extra weight to different areas of your body then it would be almost the same as the guy running carrying his own bodyfat.

Heres another example of distrubuted weight and condensed weight. If you live in a two story house, go upstairs. Say your 150 pounds and you start jumping around. Do you dent the wood? Hopefully not. If you took a 150 pound leadball and dropped it. The wood will crack/break/dent.

i never said they were the same, read MY post... i said without packs they are the same, disregarding weight... its a common misconception its harder for a heavyer person to run etc...

anyways <_<

and on the weight loss point, ive dropped 2.5 stone (35lbs) this year since sept from a dencent exersise regeime and airsoft :P

I've lost 20 pounds in two months due to a better diet and Airsoft. I now weigh 210, at 6'3".

I carry more stuff than most people on my site. I'm always armed with my trusty G3 SG/1 (11 pounds), my MP7A1 sidearm, and lots of ammo and supplies.

I'm going to openly admit i am a big boy. I'm 6'4 285 pounds and i run around with a 19 pound saw and at least 7000 rounds of ammo. i sweat my *albatross* off while playing but I'm there with the rest of the guys. not to mention my team wanted me to go point man as well. will i last a day hells yes, milsim maybe we will see in sept. .so to say "fat" people are useless *beep* you, but to 99% of the people in this thread thank you.

AngusSkie congrats on losing the weight. 70+ pounds in 4 monthes seems to be a lot. My mom went on a diet last year and 2 month in, she was dying for some food. Did you just eat healthier? I don't care for veggies that much.

Dwade, you're 13 and your 6'0 and 230? dang must drank a lot of milk when you were little.

How much do you guys' gear usually weigh?

i never said they were the same, read MY post... i said without packs they are the same, disregarding weight... its a common misconception its harder for a heavyer person to run etc...

anyways  <_<

and on the weight loss point, ive dropped 2.5 stone (35lbs) this year since sept from a dencent exersise regeime and airsoft :P

Apologies. Thought you meant that adding weight to a person by means of weights would be the same as body fat. Sorry.

Oh and it is true that many people think that heavier people have a harder time running. This is not the case at all. More weight means more the body needs to adapt. Then people say, what about that 500 pound guy that never has ran in his life. By having a lifestyle which does not make his body adapt to some running, his body is used to sitting down. Thus the guy has a hard time running.

Unless the 300 pound guy is a a strange strange man, his fat should be PROPORTIONALLY distributed. Like I said, does all your fat store on your back or on your chest? NO. Fat stores in different areas of your body as it sees fit.

For the most part, you're correct, but keep in mind that with males a whole lot of fat likes to store itself in the midsection. In females, that fat likes to store itself in the thighs and that general area (and the chest).

I have no idea how much my gear weighs. I don't pay attention to it, I just run around and shoot.

Congrats to all those who lost weight due to airsoft! And congrats to those who now follow a cleaner diet!

Hurray :)

Archived