Force Recon kit discussion.

Tunershark

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SEMPER FI HOORAH KILL!

ROTC OCS or Bulldog? Where do you go?

I used to be a USMC-option midshipman a while ago... DEP before that; then I "saw the light" and joined the Army (prepares for the hissing...).

Now I'm really wishing that I would have just stuck it out and gone through with the USMC. Then I'd be done with OCS, actually have a future...

Currently I'm just dreaming about finishing up my FR loadout.

biggest and easiest change to be made...switch to coyote gear and a MICH if youre using a CIRAS (they use those for DA kits) and youll be 10 steps closer.

its all there, just in the wrong color more or less haha

wraith, im just an OCS candidate, not through ROTC thats Marine Option. Similar and all, but a lot of differences as Im sure you know. And switching from the Marine Corps to army? what the hell did you eat? lol

Big thing is get the CB USMC-approved boots. Any boot with an EGA on the heel is approved. Black boots are not authorized for wear with MARPAT.

Also, I dunno if its the uniform or just the picture, but your uniform looks shiney. Tru-Spec or Issue? If you can, get the real deal stuff. Better made, less shiney.

Paradigm: I ate Mountain Warfare School... <_<

Decided that I had a better shot at getting Delta going through ARSOC as opposed to Force Recon/MARSOC.

CIRAS-wise, they only use Coyote...ive seen SOME OD gear in the greenside kits (h-harnesses, some rhodesian chest rigs) and they use FSBEs...but not very often. Coyote is the color for hte Marine Corps nowadays.

MICH and PASGT are two different types of helmets, easiest way to distinguish is the little lip on the front, like a visor, means its a PASGT. Infantry Marines use PASGT and LWHs (look identical) whereas FR uses MICH 2000s and a FEW 2002s.

you can use any "olive" colored boot, technically..more often then not they can get away with it, especially downrange. in garrison its gotta be an olive boot wiht an EGA. i have however seen FR guys in the oakley boots as well, but i would stick to olive/coyote colored (which is close enough)

www.actiongear.com has a good selection of olive/CB boots for civvies

Here is a large (6 page) collection of USMC MFR pics.

I'm trying to replicate a pre-'98 MFR DA loadout (I'm not that far along, I have the FSBE AAV QR, a few mag pouches, an MP5 and dump pouch).

Here's a great Wiki with a list of loadouts.

(I haven't read the whole topic so don't kill me if these have been posted)

FSBE didnt exist before 1998 lol it came as a direct result of that 46 crash in CA in 99. TBH, i have no clue what they were using prior to this, although its probably safe to assume some sort of RBA type body armor with a chest rig of some sort over it.

also, AFAIK, the FSBE and MP5 werent ever used together, and FR rarely used(uses) the MP5 to begin with, although i guess you could kinda work it to be that way.

if youre looking for pre OIF FR kit...youll need a Sage flight suit (for DA) or woodland BDUs, FSBE in tricolor, mostly SDS pouches in tricolor, SDS FSBE drop leg rig in tricolor, hatch knee pads in black, safariland in black, m9 is a safe bet for back then but m9 or 1911 would be fine, mich 2000, preferably ess nvgs though ive seen bolles on the older kits, nomex flight gloves, etc etc

FSBE didnt exist before 1998 lol it came as a direct result of that 46 crash in CA in 99. TBH, i have no clue what they were using prior to this, although its probably safe to assume some sort of RBA type body armor with a chest rig of some sort over it.

also, AFAIK, the FSBE and MP5 werent ever used together, and FR rarely used(uses) the MP5 to begin with, although i guess you could kinda work it to be that way.

Their pre-99 vest was this:

00.gear.vest.cqbe.001.JPG

It was very bulky and heavy, and following the crash it was replaced by the FSBE AAV.

"Until April of 2000, the standard black side Load Bearing Vest (LBV)/body armor was the Close Quarter Battle Equipment Assault Vest made by Point Blank. This vest was considered by some to be state of the art when adopted circa 1996, but it was heavy (14 pounds without the ceramic plates, and 28 pounds with) and bulky. Additionally, the carrier, LBV and accessory pockets were made of pack cloth instead of the more durable cordura."

The MP5 was the primary CQB weapon for FR back in the day, but was phased out in favor of the M4.

"The MP5N smg was replaced by the M4A1 Carbine in 1998. Formerly used by the Company for their Direct Action (DA) missions, it was incapable of efficiently delivering fire past 50 yards (efficiency here being terminal ballistics). Coupled with significant maintenance and support issues, the MP5 was not a good choice for Marine Corps operations."

http://www.forcerecon.com/strongmenarmed3.htm

The Company still has a few (15) MP5N’s in the inventory, primarily for the Personal Security Detail (PSD) missions.

Taken from your link.

Hehe.

(Although, mine is an Army style reciever)

I understand why it's inneffective, you need to shoot someone 6-8 times to put them down. BUT, the 9mm (Assuming we're talking about H&K-made rounds) is incredibly lethal for it's size. You shoot a man 7 times and he'll be dead before he hits the ground. It fragments and twists and turns, and bounces off organs. A 9mm bullet does more damage than a .45 (Which go more or less straight through everything).

I just find it odd that they (The USMC) would switch to something like the M4 for CQB. At that range, you'd have to shoot someone 5-6 times just to get them to notice you. We're talking about a 3300 FPS muzzel velocity on an armor piercing round. I don't care if you're shooting at a man made of brick, it's going all the way through with very little impact energy.

If I were enlisted in the Marines, I'd have my own load of green tips (The armor piercing standard ammo) and I'd load 'em with just enough powder to make it go 1200 FPS. It's not that hard to remove some powder.

Only thing is that you only get ammunition issued to you at the range/start of the mission and then have to turn it all in after its done or you fire it all off at the range.

So, that might work in a group like FR, but as a regular grunt, you're not going to get that sort of access to ammunition.

• 2 weeks later...

The CB gear certainly made an improvement Bilvo, but I agree with Maveric that a MICH would help the look. Also most guns that i've seen in FR pics have a front grip instead of a 203, don't know if thats an option you'd want to look into but it's just an observation. Also I think a hydration pack or a regular pack would help the look as well: http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/alb...album82/adk.jpg

(link due to large image size)

Archived