Brit body armour

darkchild130

i apologise if this is old news but here is some info on the new British issue body armour (operational only at the moment) osprey that is set to replace the crappy CBA and even worse EBA.

just an interest thing for those who are into British kit really.

Darkchild

Heard reports of it quite a while ago but no pictures like that. I've been saying for a long time that the only things that really needed upgrading in the FIST program, was the armour/armour carrier and some decent kneepads.

Half way there then. Good to see though that they have finally enlarged the plates and added kneck and shoulder protection.

i agree. The issued kneepads are outrageously bad. Lots of the lads in batallion have begun copying me and buying blackhawk or guarder pads (i've had mine for years but soldiers are terribly slow to catch on to kit trends)

I look foward to trying out the new armour next year in the dust bowl, last time we had that EBA stuff which is utter ###### (the collar and sleeves make it practically impossible to move in)

Darkchild

ive not been able to find pics of it online either. Basically it looks like CBA with with a giant collar and cumbersome sleeves that extend to the elbow. They are not jointed, its all one big piece of kevlar, with slightly thinner parts at the joints.

Darkchild

A friend of mine (ex Army Medical Corps) told me that one of the biggest causes of death is injuries sustained below coverage of the body armour.  In his opinion (not conclusive but something to start on) groin protection could reduse fatalities by 50%.

Certainly from mines and such the majority of damage is taken from below. Depends what type of fighting is going on.

Sadly it's hard to protect against mines and IEDs.

I've handed in my notice to doc newstead, and i'm off. :(

Isn't the EBA the one with the plates front and rear aswell as the kevlar filler, whereas the CBA is just the kevlar filler version. I'm pretty sure the "utter ###### (the collar and sleeves make it practically impossible to move in)" is either the kestrel or the osprey. May be (and probably am) wrong though.

I've handed in my notice to doc newstead, and i'm off. :(

Isn't the EBA the one with the plates front and rear aswell as the kevlar filler, whereas the CBA is just the kevlar filler version. I'm pretty sure the "utter ###### (the collar and sleeves make it practically impossible to move in)" is either the kestrel or the osprey. May be (and probably am) wrong though.

You are wrong, the CBA is the one that is like a vest with pouches for ceramic inserts on the front and rear (we only get issued the plates on operations). EBA is the same thing with a big stupid collar and sleeves. The Osprey/kestral is the new modular system.

Darkchild

With added neck funnel which:

A - Allows optimal catchment of rain water*

B - Prevents scratching and opening of head stitches/to remove ear mites etc.

PostCalvinInFunnel2.jpg

Someone saw a set on sale at some event not so long ago - a snip at £750!

*Although this should be of less immediate concern in desert environments of course.

how is armor like this put on? im wondering because although i like my proud land version armour carrier, since it has straps that go from the back around the front it isnt easy to put on (mag pouches, utility pouches and hydration is all attached to the sides/back, so when i place it over my head the back pulls down and the front side comes right up, making it dificult to put it on in the correct position).

if this is just as difficult to put on then i daubt ill buy it, if its easily wearable then i think ill buy it, tbh the pictures in this thread look cool imo, reminds me a little of the german flecktarn body armor, although that lacks any way to carry equipment.

Archived