Goddamn leaky WAM8045 mag

Bob the Angry Potato

Ah, Snowman. Just the guy I was hoping to answer this thread.

It's leaking from the fill-valve at the bottom. It's leaking- well, not slow, yet not fast either. After about 30 seconds of leaking, there's barely enough gas to fire 8 shots.

Hmmm- power assisted steering fluid? Any recommendations of brands, etc?

Cheers,

Nate

Steering fluid :) Take your pick: http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?hl=en&...yGB&sa=N&tab=wf

Using propane/green gas will cack your mags dude, they are only designed for 134 at the end of the day. And complete lack of lube in propane is gonna compound the problem :(

If you're sure it's the fill valve (not the floor/body joint), try tightening the valve (they sometimes work loose), but be careful not to damage it as they're not that easy to source replacements for.

Any old PAS Fluid will do fine.

If you're only using Propane, wait until your mags are emptied and then push in the top valve and squirt some silicon lube every now and then (No harm in doing it even when you're using gas with silicon lubricant added, either).

Cheers.

Ahoy,

Anyways, tried it again. This time, took HarleyB's instructions. It didn't help at all.

I took the useless chrome magazine and switched the fill-valves with the leaky one, and it leaked too. I guess they're the same.

Either way, I'm under the suspicion that the 1 good mag I have is just... different. It looks different, too, the spring and feed aren't the regular grey ones the other 2 mags have, and the valve's different too.

Odd, that. Must be newer.

I've tightened the valve, it's as tight as it can go, I'm afraid. I'm soaking it 1 more time, then later I'll try the PAS fluid.

If the fill valve is leaking through the threads I would use High Temp RTV. Its basically a non hardening silicone sealant(liquid gasket). I use it on engines all the time as well as my WA M9 mags. It works great, you can pick it up at most auto stores here in the US. You can also use the RTV on the mag-body-to-bottom-plate connection if its leaking there.

If its leaking through the actual valve itself I cannot help. There is a way to get them apart but I believe you need a special tool.

Breakthrough.

Turns out that the leak isn't coming from the fill valve, it's coming from the sides of the mag- where the bottom attaches. The seal must not be that great- I took the other mag apart, coated the inside with some tape, and put it back on. The leak dissapeared, it had nothing to do with Part 518.

Next up, I tried the same thing with the much-harder other mag. The propane just started leaking out at a much slower rate, and you could hear a high pitched whistle. I'm in the process of taking it apart and trying again.

Any other recommendations of what to do, other then scotch tape?

If you're sure it's the fill valve (not the floor/body joint)

I've never, personally, seen a fill valve leak, it's always the floor/body seal.

I've just fixed the same seal on my Tanaka Hi-Power by soaking the seal in PAS fluid (But I think I may have mentioned that approach already :D)

You could try silicon sealant (if you don't want to try PAS fluid). That SHOULD seal it if you make sure you complete the circle.

Cheers.

gah don't talk to me about fill-valves, pains in the ###### a**e.

check this site out: http://home.comcast.net/~ldrendall/dgz/IAL...alve_leaks.html

Also sticking your mag into a bowl of water to locate where exactly it's leaking from is not a terrible idea... just make sure you dry to throughly afterwards - rusty springs not equal fun - reserve that for when utterly desperate ;)

Usually I find the fill valve unscrews itself a little and just needs to be retightened - especially on my WA 1911 mags. I have had some success in taking the fill valve spring out and streching it a millimetre or two however it doesn't always work and I wouldn't really recommend it unless you don't mind/can afford screwing up a fill valve.

As mentioned the bottom/body leaking is more common. You want to soak that big square o-like-ring in silicone for a week (as already mentioned) if desperate (like the morning of weekly skirmish :P) you can use a bit of plumbers tape under that o-ring to give it a bit more of a seal.

Hope that helps

Archived