Airsoft hand nades update

Tripod

I don't know where else they are currently available. I went to AHG's site (www.airsofthandgrenades.com . I think someone was asking for the link) and browsed a few of the listed authorized retailers, but none of them seem to be carrying the AG-01 at the moment. As an update, I used the .12g BBs in the AG-01 this time around in a local skirmish. Worked much better. One guy said he heard the pop and saw 'shrapnel' fly by his cover (Which was 30 feet away from where it landed. A lot of people want it now). Another one popped a little early on a long throw, Airbursted right over 3 people. It was a sweet lob. But I'll spare you guys the stories. If anyone can find another retailer, please share. I wouldn't mind seeing if someone can get them a bit cheaper.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I have 2 in my possession right now and it is a copper pipe T-Joint. However, it has been slightly modified. There are 4 cuts around the center section that allow a bit of the lip to protrude outward. My guess is that it helps snag the remnant shard to allow removal. I'll see if I can get a picture of it and post it soon.

Well, I've seen them as 'low' as $6.50 for a single grenade from that guy on eBay.  If you get a package deal, it can get as low as 5.83/grenade if you get a dozen of them (He did mention in one email that I can directly buy from him in any quantity desired and receive a bulk discount for it.  That and no eBay fees to transfer over).  Each AG-01 'kit' comes with a detonator cork, grenade body, and a pack of bicarb.  The grenade body has crystallized/powdered citric acid inside and comes with a cap to make sure it stays in there during transport.  Fully assembled, the AG-01 stands about 4.5" tall and is 2.5" in diameter at its widest point.  The detonator cork has a small cap on the bottom which you have to pry off to get the bicarb in.  It holds it in via friction and has a sort of a plunger inside so when you press the trigger, it'll pop the cap off the detonator cork allowing the bicarb to empty into the main body. The pack of bicarb is more than enough to fill the detonator, but I wouldn't recommend packing it in tight as that could possibly jam it in there and reduce it's ability to mix with the citric acid solution you'll be making.

Depending on the weather, you can add as much or as little water as you like.  They recommend during cold weather to use more water (Up to 2oz or 75 cc).  On hot days, less (1oz or 35cc).  If the weather is 25C/77F, then use a standard 1.5oz/50cc payload.  It was cool (about 10C) so I filled it with 75 cc (Or to the halfway mark on the grenade) and dropped in the BBs.  Point of advice, when you add water, use warm/lukewarm water.  It'll dissolve the citric acid better and help promote a 'healthy' reaction.  Not a big difference, but every bit helps sometimes.  On hind sight, I wish I had tested with .12g BBs rather than the .25g BBs.  I heard the .12g float on water which would probably give a better spread than a pile of BBs sunk on the bottom.  After one detonated, I measured a good concentration of BBs within a 7-8 ft radius.

I have heard of concerns on the sound it makes.  It makes a noticable report, but it's not deafening.  In all honesty, the first grenade I tested didn't blow by itself.  I did the guy thing and without reading directions, assembled a grenade and tested it.  What resulted was a hissing grenade.  The gas didn't form quickly enough and started leaking (The grenade bulged in size, but just enough so that it didn't explode).  So I threw it straight up and kicked it.  It detonated on impact.  My ears were fine.  The sound is comparable to those champagne bottle shaped party poppers.  Regardless, the AG-01 comes with warnings with the directions stating to not detonate near anyone's head as it may cause damage. (To include small, enclosed spaces like inside a car especially with it's windows up)  But I think it'd have to pop on your shoulder to do anything.

After the first one, I read the directions and followed the tips for use in cold weather (As the directions read that the AG-01 was designed for 25C weather) and after that, the next 3 popped with no complications.  Average time to detonation from activation was under 10 seconds consistently (Although detonation varied by up to several seconds).  A couple tips would be to give it a quick shake before you throw it.  This allows the reactants to mix more quickly.  You'll notice the relatively soft grenade turn hard with pressure very quickly when you do.  Another tip would be to use a small pinch of bicarb in the main grenade body to give it some initial pressure so it'll pop sooner.  I had to use these tips in cold weather, in hot weather, it probably wouldn't matter.

Unlike the real grenade, you can pull the pin out with your teeth without too much effort (For all you infantrymen out there, you probably know what I'm talking about).  The pin itself is made from a relatively soft metal and you can stick it back into the detonator cork in case you longer need to use it.  You stick it back in and rebend the pin a bit (The pin is shaped sort of like a bobby pin.  It straightens when you pull it out, but that allows you to easily reinsert it)  After you pull the pin, you push the plunger and the grenades been activated.

On a final note, AHG mentioned that they plan to release replacement kits to make the AG-01 'semi-replacable'.  I asked the guy from eBay and he said that although it was just his speculation, he believe that the replacement kits are spare grenade bodies with packs of bicarb and citric acid and that you can reuse the detonator since it remains intact after detonation.  Hope this has been helpful.  If anyone has any questions on info I missed, feel free to ask.

This was very helpful.

Thanks.

Guys I live in Spain and have recieved 50 of these grenades... I dont now if any of you have tried them but they are absolutely incredible, THEYRE GREAT, youve gotta pay good attention to the instructions as they are prepared differently at certain temperatures (above 25 centigrades), but they work like a charm.

Definitely get them!!! the only bad thing about them is that its preferable not to throw them too hard onto a hard surface as the thin plastic of the grenades body might break and thus not explode, bes thing to do is roll them but ive thrown a couple and only 1 out of 10 of them broke...

People have said they misfire but thats not true, ive had them for 2 skirmishes now and not one has misfired except the one I threw too har and broke.

GET A COUPLE AND SEE FOR YOURSELF

The camera I have isn't that great at taking close up shots, but this picture is half decent. Hope it helps fill out the blanks where my words were lacking.

post-5996-1114273125_thumb.jpg

Someone mentioned they wanted dimensions of the grenade, so below are shots of it against a tape measure. Hope that's what you were looking for.

post-5996-1114273771_thumb.jpg

post-5996-1114273796_thumb.jpg

I'm actually surprised that someone in Florida was able to order the AG-01 directly from AHGs website. I thought I read somewhere that they don't sell directly to the consumer unless a retailer doesn't exists in their region. The shipping from Spain must have been really expensive. Although I suppose getting it locally off of eBay for $70 a dozen isn't really that much cheaper. I spoke to the eBay guy on how much it would be to directly buy AG-01s from him. He gives discounts on bulk orders, but for a small fry like me, about $7 a grenade. He now has the black AG-01s available too and is ordering a shipment of replacement kits. The replacement kits work well (He gave away replacement kits to some of his customers because he was late receiving a shipment.), you just have to find the detonator cork after you throw it though. That can be a pain in the butt when you're playing in the woodlands.

Its only common courtesy to not quote huge posts when you're just going to give a quick reply.  Not everyone has nice big monitors with high resolutions.  If you want to be a jerk about it, thats fine with me.

There could have been a better way to say that yourself in the first place before you talk about being jerks.

I surely didn't mean to be disrespectful towards anyone, you know.

Plus, I made sure pics weren't involved; it's only text and it takes a second (less) to dload and scroll.

I surely didn't mean to be disrespectful towards anyone, you know.

And neither did I. I was referring to the post made by tripod.

Plus, I made sure pics weren't involved; it's only text and it takes a second (less) to dload and scroll.

You do what you wish. Just letting you know there is no need to quote a huge post just to make a quick reply. Again common courtesy.

Jeriah thanks for the pics, I'm going to pick some of these up.

Yeah seriously, you guys used up a hell of a lot of space just whining at eachother. It was so trivial to start arguing about it in the first place <_<

wait... ######! I just wasted space by criticizing your argument about wasting space! ARRRGH!! :rolleyes:

Archived