Airsoft hand nades update

Tripod

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:) in regaurds to urban ninjas idea what about a high-spring powerd piece of drain pipe sprayed od with a small port for the nade pin.

pull the pin and fire :P

infact i'll work on some plans and if i think it's workable i might take it on as a project.

• 2 weeks later...

until i hold one in my hand, throw it and see it blow up, i won't believe theyre actually real. its been so long and theyve kept saying "coming soon!!!!!!11111!11oneone"

if theyre under $5 each and work good though, these could be pretty awesome and revolutionize the airsoft battlefield

From looking at the video and reading the information on the site it actualy apears to be some sort of liquid as well as powder that sprays from the grenade.

They appear to be powered by a chemical reaction, a bit like the old vinegar and bicarbonate of soda trick. So that would explain the splat!

Edit: Or it could have been that it was a paintball version, they are makin both.

• 3 weeks later...

check out the user's manual. looks like you have to put in the stuff in the baggie and water soon before you use it, because I'm guessing if you leave it lying around for a while it wont work so well. maybe it would though, actually.. who knows? we'll have to find out. also they're being shipped tues. march 8th, so it looks like we can finally try these pretty soon!

Yes!!!11!oneone, it looks like they are releasing a landmine version too.

But i agree with aeroduro the priming method does look ######.

And it is the 8th and there are no signs on any websites, but I suppose we should give it a few days to ship.

They look pretty cool actualy from watching the videos, however if they are completely safe, why do you have to be over 18 to buy and use them?

zeroone will be getting a ring to ammend my order (placed on the 9th of january and still not arrived grr) as soon as they are released.

And yes i have rung zeroone to complain several times.

Can I just run this by the board again?

They use bicarb and vinegar to explode, like we all used to do to make rockets when we were kids? They don't *appear* to fire BB's. I've thrown-up further than the video seems to show their blast radius. And they're going to spray anyone unfortunate enough to not be able to run 5" with liquid (stinky liquid at that)?

I think it's safe to say that with my group at least, these things will not be welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

AG-01's use bicarb and citric acid, I believe. Both in powdered forms when I got mine from eBay. You prepare the grenade yourself, but it's actually for the best. It's ideal to adjust the grenade for the weather. If it's cold, there are some tips to follow to accelerate the reaction and if it's really hot, there are some other tips to slow the reaction down a bit to compensate for the heat speeding up the reaction. Minor tweaks, really, but it helps a lot when you're trying to maintain a relatively steady delay between trigger and detonation. As for smell, I didn't notice anything (As with vinegar, you can't help but notice), but I wasn't exactly whiffing everything that I could. If anyone wants an 'unofficial' review, I'd be more than happy to post one.

Well, I've seen them as 'low' as $6.50 for a single grenade from that guy on eBay. If you get a package deal, it can get as low as 5.83/grenade if you get a dozen of them (He did mention in one email that I can directly buy from him in any quantity desired and receive a bulk discount for it. That and no eBay fees to transfer over). Each AG-01 'kit' comes with a detonator cork, grenade body, and a pack of bicarb. The grenade body has crystallized/powdered citric acid inside and comes with a cap to make sure it stays in there during transport. Fully assembled, the AG-01 stands about 4.5" tall and is 2.5" in diameter at its widest point. The detonator cork has a small cap on the bottom which you have to pry off to get the bicarb in. It holds it in via friction and has a sort of a plunger inside so when you press the trigger, it'll pop the cap off the detonator cork allowing the bicarb to empty into the main body. The pack of bicarb is more than enough to fill the detonator, but I wouldn't recommend packing it in tight as that could possibly jam it in there and reduce it's ability to mix with the citric acid solution you'll be making.

Depending on the weather, you can add as much or as little water as you like. They recommend during cold weather to use more water (Up to 2oz or 75 cc). On hot days, less (1oz or 35cc). If the weather is 25C/77F, then use a standard 1.5oz/50cc payload. It was cool (about 10C) so I filled it with 75 cc (Or to the halfway mark on the grenade) and dropped in the BBs. Point of advice, when you add water, use warm/lukewarm water. It'll dissolve the citric acid better and help promote a 'healthy' reaction. Not a big difference, but every bit helps sometimes. On hind sight, I wish I had tested with .12g BBs rather than the .25g BBs. I heard the .12g float on water which would probably give a better spread than a pile of BBs sunk on the bottom. After one detonated, I measured a good concentration of BBs within a 7-8 ft radius.

I have heard of concerns on the sound it makes. It makes a noticable report, but it's not deafening. In all honesty, the first grenade I tested didn't blow by itself. I did the guy thing and without reading directions, assembled a grenade and tested it. What resulted was a hissing grenade. The gas didn't form quickly enough and started leaking (The grenade bulged in size, but just enough so that it didn't explode). So I threw it straight up and kicked it. It detonated on impact. My ears were fine. The sound is comparable to those champagne bottle shaped party poppers. Regardless, the AG-01 comes with warnings with the directions stating to not detonate near anyone's head as it may cause damage. (To include small, enclosed spaces like inside a car especially with it's windows up) But I think it'd have to pop on your shoulder to do anything.

After the first one, I read the directions and followed the tips for use in cold weather (As the directions read that the AG-01 was designed for 25C weather) and after that, the next 3 popped with no complications. Average time to detonation from activation was under 10 seconds consistently (Although detonation varied by up to several seconds). A couple tips would be to give it a quick shake before you throw it. This allows the reactants to mix more quickly. You'll notice the relatively soft grenade turn hard with pressure very quickly when you do. Another tip would be to use a small pinch of bicarb in the main grenade body to give it some initial pressure so it'll pop sooner. I had to use these tips in cold weather, in hot weather, it probably wouldn't matter.

Unlike the real grenade, you can pull the pin out with your teeth without too much effort (For all you infantrymen out there, you probably know what I'm talking about). The pin itself is made from a relatively soft metal and you can stick it back into the detonator cork in case you longer need to use it. You stick it back in and rebend the pin a bit (The pin is shaped sort of like a bobby pin. It straightens when you pull it out, but that allows you to easily reinsert it) After you pull the pin, you push the plunger and the grenades been activated.

On a final note, AHG mentioned that they plan to release replacement kits to make the AG-01 'semi-replacable'. I asked the guy from eBay and he said that although it was just his speculation, he believe that the replacement kits are spare grenade bodies with packs of bicarb and citric acid and that you can reuse the detonator since it remains intact after detonation. Hope this has been helpful. If anyone has any questions on info I missed, feel free to ask.

AHG just released news on their replacement kits for the AG-01. It includes the grenade body, citric acid, soda bicarbonate and a detonator's cover. They also sell a tool to remove the remains of any previously used grenades, but I don't see why a pair of needlenose pliers and a little patience wouldn't get the same job done. I asked the guy on eBay that I bought mine from how much it would cost and he said it would cut the cost of the AG-01 by at least half. I have some on reserve from him already. I'll post an addition to let you guys know if there's anything bogus or not about the replacement kits.

Archived