CNC v normal full metal

0nslaught

i dont get it, whats the difference between CNC parts and regular parts? theres a 300 dollar difference with the normal SR25 and the CNC sr25, also, is the PGC kit cnc? because its pretty pricey. ( only a few more days of saving up....and that WGC custom PGCP226 will be in my hands)

CNC is also very slow compared to stamping and casting. Very accurate results yes, efficient no. So they cost cause they can't make that many pieces in a certain amount of time and machining them itself costs the manufacturer a big pile of money. However if you can afford one, it's probably worth it. Depending on the blueprints, tolerances should be close to 0.

a good cast part is usually good enough. that is, when done with proper quality control. casting is usually used when a large volume of parts is needed.

cnc machined parts are typically made for limited runs. its extremely wasteful because the resulting part was machined from a solid piece of metal stock. the resulting quality is top notch, but you pay for it.

cnc machined parts are typically made for limited runs. its extremely wasteful because the resulting part was machined from a solid piece of metal stock. the resulting quality is top notch, but you pay for it.

Not strictly accurate.

CNC is a machining process. There's no law which says a CNC-made part must be machined from a solid lump of metal.

For airsoft, the difference is that most parts will be cast, painted and put in a box. CNC machined parts will be rough-cast then machine-finished.

End result, however, is that CNC milled parts will have a sexiful finish on them rather than the usual finish on airsoft products.

For example, real AR-15 receivers are made from forgings, and finished with a CNC machine.

However, not all airsoft accessories are just castings or castings finished with CNC. I have seen how outer barrels and slides are made from solid bar stock or billet. Impressive to say the least, but that stuff is also expensive.

-Sale

Indeed.

I just wanted to point out that there's no guarantee that a CNC part actually started life as a solid lump of material.

I seriously doubt, for example, that the CNC M14 EBR stock G&P(?) sell actually started off as a lump of alloy the size of a breeze-block. In cases such as that the item is almost definately rough-cast and then machine-finished.

Indeed.

I just wanted to point out that there's no guarantee that a CNC part actually started life as a solid lump of material.

I seriously doubt, for example, that the CNC M14 EBR stock G&P(?) sell actually started off as a lump of alloy the size of a breeze-block. In cases such as that the item is almost definately rough-cast and then machine-finished.

I know one of the EBR stocks did, there were stage by stage pictures of the process when it was released, hence the price.

So is PGC CNC or not. How about Lathe? If say I own a lathe machine, can I create my own metal slide? I was visiting HK few years ago, and went to this shop on Kong Hwa street, the guy showed me a custom 1911 pistol that he claimed he made himself (frame and slide). I saw a lathe machine at the back of his shop.

I went to a metal fabricating shop locally and showed them my platic slide, and they said its too complicated to do on a lathe machine, it has be CNCed.

A lathe can only turn circular section items - you clamp the rod in a chuck, and it spins at high speed s- then you apply tools to it - which of course tools ALL the way round the outside at the same level producing a circlular cross section.

To produce a metal slide - you need to use a computer controlled milling machine. This will be INCREDIBLY expensive to buy (especially one cutting metal in such intricate shapes!) and will be rather expensive to hire to work for you too - maybe £100+ per part? Also - you'd need a solid block of aluminium to work from (~£10) and the skills to work the CNC machine - or more likely, the money to pay someone else to work it for you at the place.

I'd estimate around £300+ for a metal slide. Ever though of buying one?

CC

casy not QUITE true

they can also form ovals, wed cut outs, tapers etc on a manual lath and with some skill and with the right fixtures squre section *albatross* well ( bu using the lathe as a giant planer for all the faces)

a CNC 5 axis lath with powered tooling CAN make any profile you want.

Archived