action 9mm gearbox

jonarthur

I have the Action 8mm AK-rear gearbox in my G36 (Fighting Maus, you only need to chnge a few parts for compatability) and I can confirm that the internals are not your ordinary clone internals.

The trigger switch is a relatively good low resistance switch, and the wires are good too.

The 8mm bearings seemed pretty good to me, and I assume the size of the bearings is the only difference between the 8mm and 9mm boxes. After many thousands of rounds (half a year worth of use) the bearings still hold up, and offer minimum resistance to the gear axles.

The gears were OK, pretty average steel gears actually, could very well be ACM though. I changed mine to Prometheus.

The piston is a close copy of the Prometheus hard piston. I had bought a Deep Fire V2 titanium piston with the box, and decided to test it out. The action-piston I put in another gun, and both pistons still run fine.

The spring guide had bearings, and IIRC so did the pistonhead.

Cylinderhead is made of metal, I don't quite remember but it was either steel or aluminium.

The gearbox shell of the 8mm version was polished and shiny ont he outside, but sadly not so on the inside. Just normal gearbox-gray.

AK-specific parts (trigger, nozzle, selector plate and the selector-thingies on the right hand side of the shell) were of course changed to parts from my original G36 box, but most of them seemed fine.

I guess I should have checked the original shimming before changing the gears, but I didn't think of it back then, sorry.

I think they are good value for the money, better than the Systema boxes IMO.

Well I bought my acog about 2 years back, so maybe their QC was worse then, but when I had it that thing was great while it worked... Then about two month later I go to turn it on for a gmae, and it doesn't turn on... I had a friends dad who is an electrician look at it (I did change batteries and all that) and he said the led had burnt out already... that there is some *suitcasey* QC for a $100 optic :/

9mm hmmm these gearboxs are starting to remind me of razors, used to be 1 then they came out with a dual blade, and then tri, i think we are past quad, and on 5, so when my son potential plays airsoft will he be upgrading to 15mm gearbox? at some point its got to be pointless, maybe not yet but soon.

The simple question is why not?

These gearboxes come with an m170 equivalent spring. 9mm bearings have more load bearing capacity than 8mm so again, WHY NOT?

I do understand the relative ridiculousness of running a 9mm bearing mechbox at 300 or so fps but i plan on downgrading my boxes to 350 fps and seeing how they hold up.

Update and overview:

1. Gearset is XYT. Im amazed that they're using a standard torque ratio to pull an M170 equivalent spring lol. Sector gear has a chip on it.

2. I was surprised to see either a prometheus piston or a clone of the prometheus piston in there.

3. AR latch is XYT as well.

4. The gearbox requires an almost ridiculous amount of shimming, im talking almost 3mm's of shims on the spur gear.

5. Switch unit and wiring appears to be similar to prometheus element cord and the switch unit is...generic.

6. Ball bearing spring guide and piston head. Spring guide is hollowed out and seems kind of flimsy, only time will tell.

7. SICK compression, absolutely sick. The cylinder assembly has ZERO airleaks. The second the piston head o-ring touches the inside walls of the cylinder it stops when my finger is over the nozzle.

8. Tappet plate is a standard version 2, seems robust enough.

9. The selector plate tends to bow out from the pressure of the AR latch spring. Im hoping this wont impede function since the body will press it flat.

10. Gearbox shell is rough. It appears to be a reinforced box but again, the reinforcing is in all the wrong areas, ie around the spur gear. The good news is that it is radiused and it does have the reinforced bar at the front of the cylinder window.

Other than that i cant really think of anything else that stands out.

For the price i paid i would say its worth it but only if i put it together and i dont run into any issues with gear placement. Im fairly certain that the bearing holes were done on a drill press instead of the actual mechbox being cast with 9mm bearing holes.

I will update this thread or perhaps write a review thread when i get time.

Update and overview:

1. Gearset is XYT. Im amazed that they're using a standard torque ratio to pull an M170 equivalent spring lol. Sector gear has a chip on it.

M170? Are you sure?

'Cause Redwolf says 1.7J, which is equivalent of an M130 spring, not impossible on standard ration gears.

An M170 (170m/s) would equal 2.89J.

Woops, my apologies lol.

Read the box wrong and never bothered to chrono the box when i got it.

Magsz, when you get a chance could you chrono it? I'm curious about how decent it is "straight outta the box" more or less. Also, how's the compatibility with G&P receivers?

Compabitility with G&P receivers seems to be ok so far, i havent completely assembled the gun yet since my upper is currently waiting to be assembled. :(

As for its out of the box performance unfortunately i cant test that since a mosfet has already been installed, prometheus torque gears and a reshim, relube job.

• 7 months later...

Archived