GHK AKS74 / AK74M

Marlowe

Quick post as these caught me by surprise, and I can't see any news on them being available:

Just been made aware by Jimmy at Red Wolf that GHK have the following in stock:

These have been long awaited by me, so I'm sure they have by others.

GHK-007-L.jpg

GHK-006-L.jpg

I'm collecting an AKS74 hopefully on Monday in HK. I'll post a detailed review as soon as I get home. :)

Edit: Also they are now in stock at several of the large HK retailers, including UNCO and Ehobby. No doubt they will be available widely soon.

sounds sweet... but I'm gonna wait for an affordable GBB SVD :rolleyes:

EDIT: How long have they been developing the AKs? I haven't heard of it just now...

Since around the last quarter of last year, roughly, don't have an exact date :)

I'm really liking the look of that AKS74, looking forward to a review!

Do want, SO HARD. Though, I'm probably going to wait and get a clone one, due to being incredibly poor.

And besides, it's an AK, how unreliable could it be? :D

And besides, it's an AK, how unreliable could it be? :D

You do realise you asked that in a thread I posted, right? :P

I've also just notice UNCO are stocking - also without any fanfare - for slightly less. I'd rather deal with RW myself as I know people there, but always worth considering. :)

And look more closely - the stock catch is pot metal. I bet so are the rest of the small parts like the old RK-02. Looks like Dboys just decided to keep the same style of laminate wood for all their AKS-74 AEGs.

It was posted that Dboys is planning a classic AK-47, so a GHK one should be available eventually...

Wow, think I need to consult with the wife and start bargaining for the reason why I need another AK, she wont care its GBB ("Bit it looks the same", if I try using that as an excuse, as she does for her shoe's, me guts are not worth for garters!). Really looking forward to a review.

They break on all but the AK105 I believe. The AK105 is supposed to have reinforced steel parts (except for the bolt, because RA-Tech wants you to buy the NPAS bolt version) unlike the rest of GHK's current AK line. RA-Tech has videos on youtube, I'd check them out! Including the magnet test on the AK105.

personally Id wait till dboys release of this goes live and then do the sums on best option

you may save a few bucks buying a dboys AK model of your choice in all steel AEG config, plus their GBB AKSU, doing a parts swap and then flogging the AKSU AEG you end up with.

far as making it long term reliable and skirmishable goes it needs a strengthened bolt carrier (ideally a steel one) and an NPAS bolt - if you want to go the whole hog and swap nearly all the internals out for steel and CNC'd alloy parts so much the better.

far as making it long term reliable and skirmishable goes it needs a strengthened bolt carrier (ideally a steel one) and an NPAS bolt - if you want to go the whole hog and swap nearly all the internals out for steel and CNC'd alloy parts so much the better.

Uhuh, which from RA-TECH can easily rack up $230 USD, which with $200 USD for another five mags (giving you 300 rounds) makes this quite a sizable investment. That said, I'm willing to pay it, so I'm sure there'll be others out there who will. :)

fully gutted and filled with steel and cncd alloy parts its probably within 100 bucks or so price wise of doing the same to an AGM M4 (the dboys AK base guns have better quality furniture and a range of variants to chose from)

cnc'd steel bolt carrier and cncd steel fire control parts - justin at daytona gun 300 bucks

npas and hop unit another 115 to 130 from ra-tech

gun itself 350 (or the 250 dollar conversion kit if thats still available and a full steel dboys of your choice works out pretty much same). So around 780 bucks the lot - which is one reason to wait n see what price the dboys one comes in at as it may shave 100 bucks or more off the total (which is enough for a couple of spare mags)

In comparison fully tricked out internals for an AGM M4 would be 260 bolt carrier and npas, steel internals and cncd hop unit another 300, plus rifle another 120 = 680 (GHK mags are same price for either) so if dbys does shave 100 off the AK then prices end up pretty much identical

I dont believe any of them are particularly upgraded over the initial release - alterations to trigger/selector contact area and an updated hop unit.

The bolt carrier was supposed to be cast from a denser material now but I still wouldnt trust its long term strength

those changes changes should apply to all of them for what they're worth

I think RA-tech offer a 105 with their steel bolt carrier as standard - different beast and might be where the 'strengthened 105' stuff is coming from?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - I've bought one after playing with both the 74S and 74M variants at redwolf.

Wood appeared to be laminate, different finish to my Dboys wood 74S (didn't bring that with me to HK so my memory could be faltering though :D), but I'm sure you don't care about that.

The rifle fired perfectly on green - cycled nicely. Some blowback, but the weight of the gun makes recoil less noticeable than on pistol gbb variants, which is pretty much what I expected.

I only test fired the rifle at a box 10 meters away down a corridor, but at that range on both semi and full auto the rifle seemed fairly accurate and cycled without issue.

That said I still intend to upgrade with RA-TECH NPAS bolt, bolt carrier and hop as as possible, as I've been advised by folks with the AKSU variants that this will guarantee reliability.

Archived