Semi Auto Snipers in Airsoft

Counting Count

G3-SG1

I could be wrong, but isn't the accurised version in fact the MSG-90?

I think this is right. I'm reasonably sure you can't go above .22 with a self loader over here, at least not on a standard licence. There's a definitely a .22 self loader that looks like an M16 kicking about, I think Parker Hale make it, but it's been a while.

that sounds like it to me!

i havent seen a semi auto .22 m16 about - but i have seen several lever action type rifles that are similar!

the good thing about those is you can go higher than .22 - not sure how high though!

cheers

regards amsniper

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The real-steel G3SG/1 is not just a standard G3A3 equipped with different furniture. The real-steel gun is handpicked for accuracy in the factory, equipped with a heavier barrel, and has a specialized trigger pack. While the trigger group allows for the G3A3's S-E-F selection, the trigger pull is improved. The trigger has a resetter that allows for adjustments. The pull itself is much lighter and more crisp than that on a standard G3.

To simulate the real-steel, I had my TM G3SG/1 tuned. I had a Prometheus tightbore barrel, a set of Systema Area 1000 steel bushings, and a Guarder SP90 spring installed. The gearbox itself I had cleaned and re-shimmed. The result - a weapon with outstanding accuracy, adequate power, and plenty of range.

I've used my G3SG/1 against both bolt-action and semi-automatic rifles with great success. My only failure came from a lone enemy sniper armed with a stock CA SL8-2. I had fired a burst at him, missed, and caught one of his rounds.

Okay, so I'm not saying that these aren't field efficient, but I think that there's a number of good reasons to stick to a bolt-action--especially if you're playing in the UK with lower FPS restrictions than most fields in the US.

For starters, I think we can all agree that stealth matters for snipers. AEG's are much louder than bolt-action guns, and are harder to silence, especially if you're using an M-series variant (SR-25, Mk12, etc). So, the fact that you can get more shots in the air at once is balanced by the fact that if you DO fire, you are more likely to give away your position. The lower FPS restrictions in the UK mean that the muzzle noise can be reduced to almost nothing, and it's clear that gearboxes are much louder than a bolt-action, especially with a foamed stock.

Sure it's better to have an AEG if you miss your first shot, but that's only because you can fire a bunch of shots all at once, so if your first shot misses, your second one is already on the way. Well, there's an easy way to address that issue. Just don't miss. That means that you get close enough that you can make your shots count. If you miss because they duck or something, well, you're going to miss with an AEG as well.

There are a number of other factors that come into play here, including the fact that bolties are easier to maintain and to fix in the field, should something go wrong; its basically impossible to fix an AEG in the field if something malfunctions in the gearbox, but a bolt action is a different story; not to mention that the simpler mechanism means it's less likely to go wrong.

I think the most important reason to avoid using semi-auto and full-auto guns as sniper rifles is that it makes you more likely to rely on your firepower than on your fieldcraft and shooting skill. If you have faster ROF, you're more likely to get yourself into situations where you NEED faster ROF, and that means you're sloppy. The fact that you have more ammunition and that you have faster ROF makes you reliant on that firepower, and not upon your own skill. Having limited ammo and low ROF naturally makes you inclined to be cautious, and that, to my mind, is a good thing.

Let's take these stories we've been told as examples. In the first story, had the enemy sniper not been eliminated, or had the sniper had a heavily upgraded bolt-action, our semi-auto spotter would have been eliminated. The fact that the enemy spotter was able to fire several bursts before the person was able to return fire means that with a better rifle, such as an upgraded bolt-action with comparable power and a tightbore, the enemy would easily have been able to land one shot on target, ending the story prematurely. After all, all you need is one shot.

In our second story, our shooter could have done a couple things. First, they could make their rifle very quiet. In my experience, using quiet rifles like a DE M50 with foam filled barrel extension, or my MP001 with foam mods and barrel mod, if I miss the first shot (in the unlikely circumstance that I'm shooting from beyond effective range, or from a place where I'm not 90% sure of hitting), the shots are quiet enough from 100 feet that the person never knows they're under fire, so they don't hide. Second, they could use their camouflage advantage and fieldcraft to track the enemy and get to a position where they can take a sure shot. The most effective snipers don't always shoot at extreme range; they take the time to make sure that they make their shots.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there are some points for semi-automatic snipers in my field that may not apply to all others. Here, the largest FPS is limited to bolt-action users, but they are not allowed to fire within 100 ft. However, the semi-automatic rifles use a lower FPS which has no range limits with exceptions to the safety kill range of 10 ft.

So, the lower fps rifles function as DMR rifles for the infantry forces. They can help support the other fighters in battle in any situation. They are able to provide fire for a situation that is much closer. However, bolt-action snipers can only give assistance if they are in the position to do so. Within 100 ft of the target, they may not fire at the target. This may not be much, but it definitely changes things when the DMR has an extra 90 ft to play with.

Also, for people not taking their hits on any field, the DMR can put more shots into the little cheater or the person who has not felt the shot. The bolt-action rifle may lose the chance to give the person a second hit if they break and flee.

Archived