Semi Auto Snipers in Airsoft

Counting Count

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no your right - but as you say the sl8/9 are sniper rifles as appossed to dm rifles.

Are they? <-- that asked in a nice, curious way! :)

I've been feeling guilty since i got my SL8 as i got it to use as a sniper rifle, it looks like a sniper rifle, yet it's got a full auto V3 gearbox and a hi-cap mag as Std. so net exactly what i'd traditionally class a sniper weapon, i'd have said that they were more a DM weapon? :unsure:

Just for the record the SR25 is not semi out of the box. Not the G&P at least. It is capable of full auto. It's just the receiver doesn't have the marking but the selector has a cutout to ride past the stop on the receiver. You need to fit a solid fire select to make it a true semi auto only.

Some others, like the SL8 / 9 still have the full auto feature as the gearboxes are prone to stalling and jamming on semi depending on where in the cycle they are. Full auto clears this. The other option is a huge battery and high torque motor.

Remember that if you buy a gun that can do full auto and then disable the full auto so it is semi only you are still bound by the full auto energy constraints by law as it was designated full auto capable from new.

The G3SG/1 is a capable spotter's/counter-sniper's rifle. I've used it stock in both roles and it exceled at both. As a spotter, my job is to find targets for my sniper buddy, who lugs around his Tanaka M700 AICS. I'm also tasked with defending us both against close-quarters enemy attacks - a situation where my buddy is completely useless. The G3SG/1 retains fully-automatic fire. Combine that with a 500-round hicaps means plenty of suppressive fire should the situation require it.

As a counter-sniper's rifle, the G3SG/1's stock range and accuracy leaves much to be desired. I'm having a Prometheus 469 mm G3SG1 6.03 mm EG inner barrel and some power upgrades installed as we speak. Still, I've successfully tracked down enemy snipers and eliminated them. The secret? Play their weaknesses against your strengths and you have a winner. Those kids in their "invincible" ghillie suits totting bolt-action rifles are my favorite preys. They have too much faith in their equipment and make tactical errors - like staying at one spot for too long, firing repeatedly after spotting me instead of retreating, and still attempting to use their rifles up close. I use the 3-9x32 mm scope on my G3SG/1 to find and correctly indentify them, use speed and stealth to close the distance, and then saturate their area with fire. Once they are within the range of my G3SG/1, they don't have a prayer - their rifles would be useless against automatic fire and their sidearms would be too short-ranged or inaccurate to reach me.

NS : Your post contradicts itself in places, when you admit the SG1's stock range and accuracy leave much to be desired. Yet, you say, the rifle excels at counter sniping. No offence but you sound abit like an assault player to me. ie you move in quickly and then "saturate the area with fire," While using a high capacity magazine.

Luckily for you, it sounds like you have not come up against a capable spotter yet. :P. As you will know yourself, during a "skirmish" a bolt action player is far more effective with an AEG player accompanying him.

Your tactic is of course the easiest way to take out a lone bolt action player. ie put pressure on him and don't fall into the trap of trying to trade shots off with him from range. Try to close the range and put down more pellets than he does. For such a role I suggest a smaller AEG with comparable performance that allows easier movement is better.

While the M14 is a far better performer for the more slow moving spotter role, than the SG1 from what I have seen.

You point out too many players have too much faith in their equipment and make tactical errors. I agree, too many players fall into that category, in my experience.

Good Hunting ;)

Are they?  <-- that asked in a nice, curious way! :)

I've been feeling guilty since i got my SL8 as i got it to use as a sniper rifle, it looks like a sniper rifle, yet it's got a full auto V3 gearbox and a hi-cap mag as Std.  so net exactly what i'd traditionally class a sniper weapon, i'd have said that they were more a DM weapon?  :unsure:

well technically i would class it as a sniper rifle! - though its for a civilian market.

wasnt it aimed at the police also?

- yeah - teh one you have came with a high cap - but they are supposed to have the short 20round mag!

Sl8/9 are sporing rifles, not sniper rifles. They were made so that civilians could gain access to g36 like weapons. The stock, rails and all that *beep* are to make the gun lees practical or useless in combat situations.

no - its far from a sporting rifle mate - ask any self respecting hunter out there and i can garuantee you they wouldnt use it!

target shooters or civillian marksman on the other hand would be drawn to it!

so im my mind it is a sniper rifle!

regards amsniper

Lets face it, with the TM VSR's on the market, and now the clones, everyone who's anyone has a bolt action. If you want to snipe, a boltie is the way to go.

But for a more DM role, when sometimes you just need a slightly higher R.O.F., semi-auto is best.

Ben.

NS : Your post contradicts itself in places, when you admit the SG1's stock range and accuracy leave much to be desired. Yet, you say, the rifle excels at counter sniping. No offence but you sound abit like an assault player to me. ie you move in quickly and then "saturate the area with fire," While using a high capacity magazine.

Sorry, I should made myself clear. By exceling I meant I exceled with the rifle. The rifle itself isn't the perfect counter-sniper's gun. However, it worked well enough in my niche that I've been very successful with it. :P

I specialize in eliminating relatively inexperienced enemy snipers who, although lacking in the skills department, can still pose a threat with their rifles. Those are the times when I operate alone. If I were up against an experienced sniper with his own spotter, I would move together with my sniper buddy. We are practically made for each other - he's got range and accuracy, I've got rate of fire and the ability to project a lot of fire with a decent degree of accuracy.

An assault player in my book works with his fellow riflemen. I don't. I usually operate alone or at most with my sniper buddy. This way, we can keep a small profile and make good use of stealth. There are those times when we need to pick up assault rifles and join our teammates in a charge, but those are rare. We work quietly, alone, and efficiently.

Besides, I'm a huge guy - 6'4", so the meter-long G3SG/1 isn't a problem.

There is what I call a "comfort zone." With newbie snipers, it means close enough so that their bolt-action rifles are useless, but far enough that their sidearms aren't effective either. When applied to an experienced sniper with a spotter, it means the zone that renders the sniper rifle useless, the sniper's sidearm ineffective, and practically on par with the spotter's gun. Based on observation, I've found that many spotters actually prefer smaller AEGs - like M4s or G36Cs. In an exchange of fire where the sniper is negated, sustained fire from a heavier rifle like the G3SG/1, FAL, or M16 usually wins. This is my comfort zone - a zone in which I can win. Again, I pit their weaknesses against my strengths, and I always come out on top in those situations.

I'm not sure I can see where your coming from to be honest mate, are you suggesting that a heavier rifle performs better than smaller AEG's? :blink:

If that is what your saying I would say thats a bold comment especially as usually the only difference between guns in a similar range are the cosmetics I.E You mentioned two opposites as the M4 and M16 which are pretty much one and the same. Lets face it stock AEGs are pretty similar across the board, there are some that i would class as being superior like the M14 but I can't see an astounding difference between the guns you have mentioned.

I may be speaking out of turn here and I doubt my comments will be well received but to talk about playing your strengths against weaknesses and to sum it up in choice of gun and rate of fire, this I would say doesnt scratch the surface. There seems to be an enormous amount of emphasis put on equipment when in real terms the guns, cam and equipment are the only similarity between players in this sport.

A players strength is that he thinks completely differently to others. Players that make me very wary are those that have a grasp of the gaming ground as a whole, they know where to set up and are aware of every bump and grove in the ground and show the ability to stalk confidently. These players play 2 and 3 moves in front of their opposition showing the strength of anticipation <_< .

I don't fear those that show a crude style of game and rely on firepower as they overlook the basics and prove very predictable. I class the term "charge" as such a blatent and crude tactic because it lacks control :rvbteam: . The same as I class "saturating an area with fire" because it lacks awareness and results in tunnel vision.

It sounds like I'm having a pop and in a way I suppose I am because standard of play would be so much better and make games so much more enjoyable if more people thought about what they are doing rather than trying to be Rambo all the time. This approch I put hand in hand with people that play too many computer games or have seen too many films. I accept this too is a bold statement and anticipate many negative reps as a result :)

Being totally objective players swarm different sites with different intentions, I go for the game and selfishly I wish everyone would do the same, it would help the sport as a whole to reach a much higher playing field. :P

End of rant ;)

Strategy over firepower for me! :)

Alright, here's my first after-action report. The game I just returned from marks the first time I used my upgraded Marui G3SG/1 in combat.

One notable incident during the game pitted me and my sniper against a hostile sniper-spotter team. I was armed with my G3SG/1, my buddy had his Tanaka M700 AICS, the enemy sniper was armed with a Maruzen L96, and his spotter was using a Classic Army M4A1. After the game was over, I talked with both of them and check out their weapons. The M4A1 was stock with no modifications whatsoever aside from the Guarder ACOG replica bolted to the upper receiver instead of the standard carrying handle.

Our order was simple: the enemy sniper-spotter team had a critical area covered. We were to seek them out and take them out of the equation. We were on our own - the rest of the squad was busy helping secure a bunker and could not assist us.

We had the element of surprise - the enemy team was busy picking off some friendlies hunkered down on an adjacent hill. We managed to get into my comfort zone. I raised my G3SG/1 (equipped with a newly-installed Prometheus 6.03 mm EG barrel and upgraded to an unspeakable velocity) and fired a burst, hitting the enemy sniper in the side of the head. At the same time, his spotter turned to me and openned fire.

Because my sniper didn't stand a chance in the exchange, he hit the ground to take cover. The engagement turned to a spotter-against-spotter battle. Although my enemy had a steady aim, his gun simply wasn't up to the task. The shorter barrel, lighter ammo, and inferior HOP-up meant although he was firing burst after burst in my direction, few of his shots even hit close enough to cause me concern. I returned fire, putting a stream of Marui .25 g round into his head. I knew almost all my shots had hit him in the head because I saw his boonie hat blown clear off his head.

Alright, here's my first after-action report. The game I just returned from marks the first time I used my upgraded Marui G3SG/1 in combat.

One notable incident during the game pitted me and my sniper against a hostile sniper-spotter team. I was armed with my G3SG/1, my buddy had his Tanaka M700 AICS, the enemy sniper was armed with a Maruzen L96, and his spotter was using a Classic Army M4A1. After the game was over, I talked with both of them and check out their weapons. The M4A1 was stock with no modifications whatsoever aside from the Guarder ACOG replica bolted to the upper receiver instead of the standard carrying handle.

Our order was simple: the enemy sniper-spotter team had a critical area covered. We were to seek them out and take them out of the equation. We were on our own - the rest of the squad was busy helping secure a bunker and could not assist us.

We had the element of surprise - the enemy team was busy picking off some friendlies hunkered down on an adjacent hill. We managed to get into my comfort zone. I raised my G3SG/1 (equipped with a newly-installed Prometheus 6.03 mm EG barrel and upgraded to an unspeakable velocity) and fired a burst, hitting the enemy sniper in the side of the head. At the same time, his spotter turned to me and openned fire.

Because my sniper didn't stand a chance in the exchange, he hit the ground to take cover. The engagement turned to a spotter-against-spotter battle. Although my enemy had a steady aim, his gun simply wasn't up to the task. The shorter barrel, lighter ammo, and inferior HOP-up meant although he was firing burst after burst in my direction, few of his shots even hit close enough to cause me concern. I returned fire, putting a stream of Marui .25 g round into his head. I knew almost all my shots had hit him in the head because I saw his boonie hat blown clear off his head.

So yes, a heavier rifle with a longer barrel and using better ammo does make a difference.

About the SL8 and SL9, I don´t think they are available for sale in the UK amsniper, as they use 5.56 ammo (I think).  They are available in the US, and I heard they are quite popular.

no i know they're not!

and yes i believe they do use the 5.56mm cartridge - buut saying that im nt sure why they arent available over here - think it might be because they are a large calibred semi auto weapon. (i think) - saying that we can get 50.cal bolties over here!

but i would argue that my earlier comments would apply to american hunters too!

regards amsniper

I knew almost all my shots had hit him in the head because I saw his boonie hat blown clear off his head.

Mental note: Never play against Naked Singularity

So yes, a heavier rifle with a longer barrel and using better ammo does make a difference.

or upgraded to stupid FPS with a tightbore gives you more range than stock guns.

• 3 weeks later...

I happen to be a proud owner of a G&G GR25(SR25 with a ugly a anime-goat on the side), it was a little project about turning an AEG into a sniper... Well, it works and very well for that matter.

Stock GR25 is semi only, limited by the fire-selector. Stock internals are completely rubbish, they give you a rather sad noise and good laugh. I went the "easy way" and bought the Systema big one inside, needs to cut the small hook off that keeps the mag-catch in place normally and the Systema box is also slightly taller... Sandpaper will help here if you want the funny bolt-catch to work. Nozzle needed to be the longer one from the old gearbox and swapping in the O-ring from the Systema one sealed off any leaks for good. Prometheus barrel, DYI-fix on the hopup and she was good to go.

Most matches here are fast moving and last only short time so getting lot of firepower in the air is far more effective then slow high power bolt-action rifles. SR25 also fits the size of a M16A2(unless you need the extra virtual inches from the silencer) so moving around is quite easy. The important part was to keep the gun shooting accurately and steady FPS, this worked very well even in long distances and where bolters get one shot going the SR gets 20 and when both guns have the same accuracy its not too hard to see where it leads...

I had a many fully upgraded bolters, good guns, but too slow and if you missed there was a 90% chance your target vanished. Wind was a big issue too for slow bolt-action gun. I admit the SR doesn't have the feel, but it does deliver a lot more. Mine is limited to semi-only so its just another sniper-rifle, but a lot more fun.

Semi lag is virtually non-existant, 12v 1900mAH battery takes care of that, if you don't see the shooter, you will get hit.

If ppl knew how easy it is to make a AEG into a sniper there would be more of em... Sadly tho they are expensive. My SR proved that semi-auto rifles do work, even better then bolt-action in my case.

My new project is the SVD-AEG. The idea was to make it look as real as it could be, but once in my it looked just wrong so I thought that since you cant get it to look like the real deal, then avoid all the small details on purpose and in the same make it look cool.

G3-SG1

i would guess so!

i believe that the German army use it as their dm rifle!

regards amsniper

I could be wrong, but isn't the accurised version in fact the MSG-90?

no i know they're not!

and yes i believe they do use the 5.56mm cartridge - buut saying that im nt sure why they arent available over here - think it might be because they are a large calibred semi auto weapon. (i think) - saying that we can get 50.cal bolties over here!

but i would argue that my earlier comments would apply to american hunters too!

regards amsniper

I think this is right. I'm reasonably sure you can't go above .22 with a self loader over here, at least not on a standard licence. There's a definitely a .22 self loader that looks like an M16 kicking about, I think Parker Hale make it, but it's been a while.

Hatchet you are about right.

G3A3/4 Standart Rifle (mainly replaced by the G36 and variants nowadays!)

G3SG1 Accurised Verion (DM Rifle of the German Bundeswehr)

MSG-90 Accurised EXPORT Version (not used by the German Military)

PSG-1 High End Police Precisions Shooters Rifle (used by the Police in small numbers)

Hatchet you are about right.

G3A3/4 Standart Rifle (mainly replaced by the G36 and variants nowadays!)

G3SG1 Accurised Verion (DM Rifle of the German Bundeswehr)

MSG-90 Accurised EXPORT Version (not used by the German Military)

PSG-1 High End Police Precisions Shooters Rifle (used by the Police in small numbers)

Ah right, thanks for making that clear. :)

Archived