Ambushes!

FireKnife

Since i base my kit on the Royal Netherlands Army i decided to do a KCT (look up wikipedia, think Dutch version of the SAS) style ambush kit which consists of a P90, USPc, Dutch DPM, maybe some 'Nades and a Sniper Viel to hide under til i need to spring the ambush.

Any one else who ambushes or if you have ever been caught out by one then post here.

Ambushing? What's that?

I don't think it's even a genuine military tactic, sorry. Certainly not a widely known one.

Can't tell whether you're joking or serious...I thought everybody knew what ambushing is. :)

Ambushing is essentially hiding in wait for an enemy and springing a trap on them when they don't expect it. It's more about the technique than the equipment though. Usually involves hiding in the bushes by a path. On a hill is better--enemies see less up a hill than they see down it because they're looking down at the ground.

Wear dark clothes, stick to the shadows, hide behind thin bushes (you can see them, they can't see you), stay low, stay silent...and most important of all, do not spring the trap too early! You know where they are and they don't know where you are--so you have the advantage. Use it.

Don't spring an ambush while they're still ahead of you on the path. Sometimes, don't spring the ambush at all, if there's a grand strategy--can be confusing if you pass them and they don't know how you got to wherever they came from.

At a recent game at first and only (which has had a few of its trees blown over....) we had to hold a defensive perimeter, knowing that our opposition had 3 likely routes of attack 5 including me went on rear guard as such as its easy to loop all the way round the site and come up to where we were holding without being engaged on the way.

As we knew we would have the best part of about 3-4 minutes before any opposition would show up we basically built a 4 foot tall by about *fallen tree we moved height here* with some flank protection to limit attackes options

So with 5 of us behind this completely normal looking 'tree wall' as such we waited, and eventually about 4-5 of the other team came along, few riflemen and a sniper but only 1 walks into a '100% chance of kill" area.

Unforetunately someone moved and this guy turned around, we lit him up, turned and began an engagement with the remaining and as we were able to stick our guns through the foliage with cut outs so the sights were useable and we had people using the cover of trees further behind to call in where pyro needed to be chucked (range and indication going) we managed to kill off that group bar the sniper who only survived by running _very_ fast when I managed to drop a grenade just inside the kill radius relative to him:D

What is important for setting an ambush to me is to let everyone know what the procedures are for initiating it and what the SHTF ones are, because from what I recall an ambush is basically throwing as much ammo and explosives at the enemy in as short a space of time to prevent their counter attack by cutting them down before they know whats going on

So avoid things like shouting 'Fire' to start it, instead arrange that when such and such opens up, everyone else does, its useful to have designated arcs but also encouraging people to stick with one target thats easy to hit does practically the same thing once they are in position

If the opposition has chance to react then you need to plan for that contingency, because we had built our own cover we could hold and let them come to us or retreat, but we already planned to have the guys further back cover that too

Plan for everything that could happen and act to prevent the opposition doing it

Of course don't dwell on it too long otherwise you end up getting into a bit of a drama as the opposition walk up and engage and your mates are shouting at you for being a bad planner :P

Well, a few things to note. If you are caught up in an ambush, jump off of the area you are in, into a ditch, or just get prone in general. If your in the open, run like hell. Get out of the situation, because an ambush is set to pin you, so you have no where to go.

In my experience of setting up ambushes, basically its a interesting thing to do, and really is used ALOT in airsoft. What I typically do, is lay prone, don't move an inch. The only time i moved around alot was in Chicago, when me and another person set up an ambush on a convoy, and he was struggling to get the rocket in the rocket launcher. The smokes went off, gun fire from everywhere, shooting at the turrets and doors on the vehicles. Ended with me and the other guy chasing down the convoy, he had the RPG, i had the AK47. Man, i hope they put that in the CT3 video. That was the best ambush ever, even though it didn't work, and the turret gunner saw us running up to the car (Which was going about 10 mph), and the turret turned and shot the guy with the RPG, then i got pegged from someone in the jungle.

They are fun, and relativly simple to do, but only the wise know when, how, and what to do, to make it effective. Your not going to ambush groups of less then four unless they have a hostage, a VIP (If your the terrorist), or something important. Basically i do them with small amounts of people, to take out large amounts of people. The only effective thing to do with it, is to grab about 5 guys, 2 on one side, and 3 on the other. Plan it out, be smart, use all the things you have, IEDs, claymores, rockets, smokes, grenades, etc.

I've used ambushes to create chaos, confusion and take large opfor casualties.

Mine is a rather simple "find log, wait behind with 'Nades and P90, covered in sniper veil, wait for unsuspecting group of n00bs and then pop out and put about 50 shots at 'em", its damn good fun. I always go alone though if im doing it since then the enemy doesnt notice that a chunk of opponents are missing and carries on unawares and i find that spring a trap the way i do it is easier alone as the other person may fowl up and get you both shot.

'FireKnife'

Basically what I do except I tend to prefer having more than just me there seeing as we don't have that many newbies trying to pull sneaky stuff on us, so its more likely the more regular folk who know what they are doing we have to deal with, that and ambushes mainly rely on weight of fire to decimate the forces in your kill zone

One thing with airsoft ambushes is that although they are cool to pull off and catch a group out I have to stress to people not to keep drilling your target, when our ambush went off you could have mistaken the air between us and the opposition for having a snowstorm but you have to give the people you are shooting at a chance to call there hit which is why its prearranged that if I am leading the ambush if I shout 'Stop' we cease fire as its verging on overkill, give a few seconds for the people we've hit to get clear while keeping weapons up in case they pull anything funny.

Its a fine balance at times between filling the air with plastic to guarantee everything is hit in that instance and not actually causing the people receiving end to get the *albartroth* on about getting lit up to hell and back

Well, a few things to note. If you are caught up in an ambush, jump off of the area you are in, into a ditch, or just get prone in general. If your in the open, run like hell. Get out of the situation, because an ambush is set to pin you, so you have no where to go.

In my experience of setting up ambushes, basically its a interesting thing to do, and really is used ALOT in airsoft. What I typically do, is lay prone, don't move an inch. The only time i moved around alot was in Chicago, when me and another person set up an ambush on a convoy, and he was struggling to get the rocket in the rocket launcher. The smokes went off, gun fire from everywhere, shooting at the turrets and doors on the vehicles. Ended with me and the other guy chasing down the convoy, he had the RPG, i had the AK47. Man, i hope they put that in the CT3 video. That was the best ambush ever, even though it didn't work, and the turret gunner saw us running up to the car (Which was going about 10 mph), and the turret turned and shot the guy with the RPG, then i got pegged from someone in the jungle.

They are fun, and relativly simple to do, but only the wise know when, how, and what to do, to make it effective. Your not going to ambush groups of less then four unless they have a hostage, a VIP (If your the terrorist), or something important. Basically i do them with small amounts of people, to take out large amounts of people. The only effective thing to do with it, is to grab about 5 guys, 2 on one side, and 3 on the other. Plan it out, be smart, use all the things you have, IEDs, claymores, rockets, smokes, grenades, etc.

I've used ambushes to create chaos, confusion and take large opfor casualties.

RPGs, convoys, turrets!?!? is this airsoft? :blink:

Me and the team use ambushes all the time. Given that we are only a 4 man team normally (sometimes have less regular players with us) abushes are our best offensive option.

Most of the time we just patrol the site and set up a snap ambush whenever we encounter an enemy force.

Of course, on the occasions that we know (or have a very good idea)what route the enemy forces will be taking we will set up a deliberate ambush, tends not to be too often though, as it just takes to long to plan and prepare.

Ahhhh, the ambush. Good times, good times. Few weekends ago me and my buds played out a scenario game, marines taking on insurgents and such. As the game progressed, the marines (my side) were informed we had to stop an enemy convoy supplying the insurgent force. So four of us went to set it up.

We had two guns hiding in a ditch on either side of the road and another gun set up to cover the convoy's rear. Having my trusty gspec, I got comfy off the road about 200 feet. When the guys rolled into our kill zone, we initiated. Our guns on the road sprayed the foot soldiers and I took one shot at the driver (he was on a dirt bike aka the truck <_< ).

I tell ya, nothing like just sitting in the distance watching it all through my scope, picking and choosing who to tag, the enemy having no idea I even existed. Simply fantastic :rolleyes:

Well at my field we have a section where the only way to get to the other half of the field is either through a five meter wide path or through a ten meter thick hedgerow of thorny berry bush. ;) Perfect spot for an ambush.

I had command of a three man team. I set one off in the brush on the left of the path opening. Another on the right back about five meter, behind a fair sized bush. The third man was with me behind a small grove of three with some underbrush about twenty meters straight in front of the path. A ten man squad came walking up to the path. They stopped and waited ready for a minute to see if it was a trap. Hee hee. We didn't get drawn in. As they began to come through, I flipped the safety off my G36K and turned it all they way to 'Go loud!' ;) Then cam a snapping of a stick in the oh so cliched fashion. <_< I yelled "Fire!" They other team just about jumped out of their skin. Four high powered AEGs sure sound nice in unison.

Mine is a rather simple "find log, wait behind with 'Nades and P90, covered in sniper veil, wait for unsuspecting group of n00bs and then pop out and put about 50 shots at 'em", its damn good fun. I always go alone though if im doing it since then the enemy doesnt notice that a chunk of opponents are missing and carries on unawares and i find that spring a trap the way i do it is easier alone as the other person may fowl up and get you both shot.

'FireKnife'

Basically what I do but with different gun and maybe place a couple of 12 bore trip mines

I do sometimes use the WW2 German LMG team technique, me and my mate (the support of our team) hide under a large veil and setup his G3 or MC51 with a 3000 drum mag. When they get into range, we load up and throw off the cover, emptying rounds into them. Although we have a larger capacity and a more modern gun, the technique is the same, i just have my P90, USPc and my mates G18c for close supporting.

'FireKnife'

I have to say, this is probably the best tactic ever. I play in an extremely dense woodland area (can never see more than 50 feet in the summer) with a small number of people (about 6-16), and I do it all the time. It's really sweet when you're sitting behind a fallen tree, and you wait for the person to get a few feet away, and pop up and destroy them. It works best when you are outgunned. Kinda like a "Predator" type thing. Single them out and take them down. I won in a 1-on-6 situation using this.

I find ambushes only really work if people really know what they're supposed to be doing and when.

Skirmishing or on excercise in my platoon they go fine but sometimes with others it can mess up royally.

I love ambushes though!

My play group actually odes a designated 'ambush' game mode. Where one team sets up an ambush along a designated path and the other team must get from point A to point B along that path.

It's a stressful mode for both side and despite there being a lot of wait time, it can make for some awesome game moments. It was also the only time I've ever seen a guy fall asleep in the middle of an airsoft game...

My first airsoft game, fresh out of cadets, i helped set up a deliberate ambush. We waited for 15 minutes. I got bored, walked off and got shot.

This is normal.

Most of the time we just patrol the site and set up a snap ambush whenever we encounter an enemy force.

This is sensible.

Seriously, the problem with using ambushes is that if both teams try it you're in for a seriously slow game.

In real life it would depend on your objective. If an attacking force is ordered to advance and capture an objective then they are forced to use manoevre tactics. They CANNOT dork-around setting up ambushes because they've been ordered to advance.

A force tasked with defending an objective is far more likely to use ambushes.

From either perspective, the fact that you don't actually die (or get court-marshalled for screwing-up) alters the way people act when skirmishing.

We do stuff because it'll be fun or just to see if it works.

In airsoft it just depends on the situation. If the game is an attack/defend one then the defending team is almost definately going to set up ambushes.

In almost any other game there's the possibility that you'll simply not see anybody else throughout the game if you wait in ambush.

Personally, I'm with LJ.

Unless it was a scripted game, where you KNOW the opfor has to get to a certain objective, I'd rather try to go find the opfor and then figure out how to attack them.

ambushing has never realy worked at Ground Zero!

there are 2 teams Bravo and Delta - and generally Delta are full of scumbags who havent got a clue what they are doing!

therefore - their games these days consist of the bulk of two opposing sides - usually sat opposite each other (quite litterally) and just trying to shoot each other.

spray n pray tactics!

mean while a small group of us bravo's walk about practically unhindered and take all the objectives.

ambushes just dont come into it! - much to my disappointment.

theres just no point waiting around for a group to come along - because they dont come!

pity!

- go on teh other team i hear you say! never! - my teams talents would be wasted!

regards amsniper

Archived