Proper way to watch Star Wars

visionviper

everyone slags off the prequals, but why?

Because the acting is terrible, the effects are gimmicky at times, Jar-Jar **pukes**, the directing leaves a lot to be desired and the script, whilst awesome in places, contains such gems as, "It must be because I'm so in love." "No, it's because I'm so in love with you."

:mellow:

I skip those bits and just watch the battles

The best way is to watch 456 (which are condensed versions of 456789, lucas originally envisaged 9 episodes) in a darkened room lit only by the open fire.

An open fire burning 1, 2 and 3.

Also watch the original versions not the remastered versions because they are just better.

If you want to get the best out of the newer three films just listen to the audio track "duel of fates".

Luke does not live with his family - pre-new films it was considered "canon" that Owen lars was Obi wan's brother not Luke's uncle.

It would have been a little too easy for Vader to find him otherwise.

Also Canon pre-new films is that Boba-Fett was not the son of another famous bounty hunter who was the progenitor of all the clones.

Boba Fett was a policeman from a peaceful planet that had not had a murder in centuries, he killed a suspect and was exiled for ever.

The clones were clones of soldiers proficient at whatever job the clone would be doing. i.e. a good driver was cloned to produce drivers, a good pilot was cloned to produce pilots etc.

Incidentally when Boba-Fett was thrown into the sarlacc in jedi it didn't kill him. He was partly digested but still managed to kill the thing from the inside and crawl out onto the sand where he was found by another bounty hunter who saved his life after changing his ways for the love of a good woman.

Best film is empire, hope second, jedi last. Those bloody ewoks were supposed to be wookies but lucas didn't have the budget to film it and couldn't find enough tall actors. The thing would have made a lot more sense if an army of 8ft tall monsters with explosive bolt firing crossbows had taken on the empire and not the bloody cuddly toys.

Grrrrrr

Yup, empire is best. No death stars, Luke gets his hand cut off and finds out Vader is his dad. The insurgent scum rebels get their asses handed to them. Boba-Fett briefs up Vader and Han gets frozen. Top film.

Stunt

You realise that every criticism you're throwing at the prequels applies just as much to the originals? Crappy acting, bad dialogue, etc. Thing is, you grew up watching them, so you look at them more fondly. Nothing was ever going to live up to how good you think Star Wars is.

:zorro:

No, no, it's not true!

It can't be, everything we grew up with was great and is now being murdered by modern remakes!

Buries head in sand and pauses ROTJ on the green nipple bit

You realise that every criticism you're throwing at the prequels applies just as much to the originals? Crappy acting, bad dialogue, etc. Thing is, you grew up watching them, so you look at them more fondly. Nothing was ever going to live up to how good you think Star Wars is.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

I know, what I object to is that I spent a lot of time and money reading and learning and loving the canon expanded universe fiction only to have Lucas throw it all in the bin and make a hash of the whole thing.

I think aspects of the original three are hopeless but at least they are not morally bankrupt.

Also, other things have been as good as 'Wars should have been, LOTR for example was fairly close to the plots of the books, didn't miss out anything earth shatteringly important, didn't lie for convenience's sake and managed to convey the feeling of the books (and that frodo is gay)

Stunt

You realise you did the same with Battlestar Galactica?

Boba Fett was a policeman from a peaceful planet that had not had a murder in centuries, he killed a suspect and was exiled for ever.

Incidentally when Boba-Fett was thrown into the sarlacc in jedi it didn't kill him.  He was partly digested but still managed to kill the thing from the inside and crawl out onto the sand where he was found by another bounty hunter who saved his life after changing his ways for the love of a good woman.

His original name was Jaster Mereel before AOTC came along, and then a comic book was later released, explaining who Jaster Mereel "really was".

And the other hunter was Dengar. You also forgot to mention the Sarlacc "talking" to him... :P

I kinda prefer the prequels. I don't like ANH, but my favourite is still ESB, with ROTS a close second.

I know, what I object to is that I spent a lot of time and money reading and learning and loving the canon expanded universe fiction only to have Lucas throw it all in the bin and make a hash of the whole thing.

That's my biggest gripe with the prequels. It pretty much invalidates the vast majority of the EU written before the prequels. And notice how R2 suddenly has some recordings of Skywalker Senior in one book....

Although admittedly enjoyable, every single star wars movie is utter tripe, people only like the originals because they enjoyed them as as a kid. It is the same for the younger generation with the new trilogy.

I bet that not many adults liked star wars a new hope when it first came out.

People like star wars cos they view them through a child's eyes. They all suck as movies.

for example, Darth Maul could quite clearly slaughter every other character in the entire series as he is obviously an accomplished fighter compared to everybody elses sluggish movements.

But i bet every fan of the original series would argue that Darth Vader is better til they are blue in the face, simply because thats who they like.

Bin star wars, just watch Aliens instead.:)

Darkchild

+1 to you, good knowledge.

Jaster Mereel used to be my online name before I became the Stunt.

I didn't forget about the Sarlacc conversations or Dengars name, I just thought that people who didn't already know that wouldn't care.

I stopped reading the EU when ep1 came out and Chewie died.

Stunt

You realise you did the same with Battlestar Galactica?

No, my problem with GINO is it has pretty much *fruitcage* all in common with BSG apart from the names. BSG had special effects that were as good as one could expect at the time, and the acting was certainly up to the standards of other TV shows. The modern version makes no sense. Humans have developed space craft with FTL drives but can't make a better pistol than the FN 5-7? Makes no sense.

Watching the first 3 completely ruins the entire point of V and they're a load of balls anyway.

Doesn't really. Only someone who has lived in a cave and had no access to popular culture would not know that Vader was Lukes father. I mean seriously, it has been said in everything from the Simpsons to the Fairly Odd parents to countless movies.

My opinion. The new ones are good for fighting, in fact very good. But there are some moments that do make you cringe a bit. But the same can be said of the old ones, there is some truly terrible acting and scriping in both, they also have much better space battles than the new three.

Hey, Stunt, my sig is there for a reason :P

Wasn't it Harrison Ford who once stormed off the set of EpIV shouting "You may be able to write this *beep*, but I sure as hell can't say it"?

Yes it was.

I thought it was Alec Guinness. Or at least he's publicly made fun of the dialogue IIRC.

-Sale

Nope, but once, when a kid asked for his autograph and some advice, the ol' todger signed it, bent down and said to him, "Advice? Never watch those awful films again." The kid ran away crying.

Isn't it true that harrison ford didn't actually audition for the part of Han, he was actually fitting a door in the production office in his capacity as a joiner when he was spotted.

Isn't it also true that Harrison Ford doesn't exist and he is actually Han Solo.

And that to make sure his cover was absolutely iron clad he then went on to be Han Solo in the indiana jones films then make tons of ###### movies (clancy's films not so ######) to complete his integration into human society.

I have proof. Callista Flockhart is an alien.

Stunt

You're kinda right......Ford was working as a carpenter at the time, and I'm not sure how he was first hired, but I do know that he was only supposed to sit in as Han Solo for the auditions etc, before Lucas decided that he'd done so well in the part, that he may as well hire him. I've seen some stock footage of the auditions/test screenings with Ford as Solo before he was formally cast, and you can really see why he was hired.

My personal opinion was the part of han solo was either re-written a lot for Mr Ford, or he is just such an amazing actor he managed to modify it enough while remaining true to what had been written, the pre production scripting i have seem makes him sound like a complete and utter cock pull who nobody would have liked or wanted around falcon or no falcon, yet in the film he is both arrogant AND charismatic, unlike just plain arrogent and argumentitive as the original scripting depicted

The original ending of jedi has the Falcon getting destroyed in the explosion of the DS2 but when it was screen tested everyone complained.

When asked if it was because Lando had died everyone said no, you can't destroy the Millenium Falcon. That's why there are hardly any shots of Lando Calrissian and Nien Nunb in the original ending of Jedi.

Stunt

Isn't the carpenter story actually related to that American 50s film (Forget it's name, but it spawned Happy Days which is enough to hold against anything...)?

Then again Darth Vader was the Green Cross man, so...

Cheers

Snowman, American Graffiti

And it is a cult classic, far better than that sugar sweet idealistic world of Happy Day's

and the car's... oh man the 32' deuce coop is to die for.... Mmmm HEMI!

Wasn't he also the green giant? Ho Ho Ho

Archived