British army airsoft

joewhant

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do the Army still use these?

Chest rigs I mean..

Yes and no. Depends on kit requirements, vehicle usage etc. For a day game it would be fine (provided you can carry enough ammo), but for anything longer than a few hours you'd be looking for some kit that can carry a bit more.

Im currently working on a British load out using Desert DPMs, Mk.6 helmet, Osprey with pouches and a minime (para version). im using morpcat's guide as a base.

:)

Where are you planning to skirmish when you use that? On the local beach?

Not seen a lot of deserts in the UK

Spec Ops desert site (quarry): http://teamsmd.blackaqua.com/sow/

Plus it suits lots of the urban sites, and many of the larger skirmishes that divide teams by uniform have a desert team.

I'm getting the L85 this year (probably next month), but I've got most of the rest of the kit already. I use a PLCE webbing set, Soldier '95 ripstop jacket, British Army shirt & trousers all in woodland DPM. I wear a pair of Gore-Tex lined Pro Boots (which I spend a lot of time cleaning and polishing each week) and while I do have a beret I don't wear it (yet) because I still need a haircut and I haven't shaped it yet. Typically I wear a fairly wide-brimmed DPM boonie hat (which is also made out of Gore-Tex). Around my neck I usually go for my trusty (if a little faded) green and black shemagh (inside the jacket, outside the shirt).

Things I still need to work on (apart from the gun) include my hair (still too long) and my ironing skills (which are pretty dismal at the moment). No pictures (yet) but I'm working on that.

Sounds like a good set of kit mate, just make sure you're sensible with the beret. The number of outlandishly shaped pieces of wool I see on the heads of people from all three services never ceases to shock and amaze me, you pull it down to the right, how hard can that be?!

Much as it is part of the 'service ethos' (or whatever rubbish it's called now) to spend ages on kit: "greens are for dyin' in, not for ironin'". I once heard a joke about the Blackwatch or someone similar heating up mess tins to iron uniform for inspections during their field exercises, but other than that the smoothness of your 95s in the field is a relatively low concern; in my small amount of experience. My one tip from when I used to have one of those old type field jackets with the highly visible ripstop (i.e. the white-ish looking grid pattern all over it), is make sure to iron it at least once with shed loads of water on it, spray the thing so there's literally little puddles of water everywhere, then set the iron to medium (2-dots/wool) and press away. First time I did this I think each little square must've somehow made a small air bubble as it kept making quite loud popping noises as I ironed, didn't seem to damage it though and looked a lot better afterwards.

I've never ironed the jacket, though I have washed it (once).

I do try to have a go at ironing at the very least the sleeves of the shirt and the creases in the front of the trousers, though.

Oh, and I got myself a pair of knee pads I can wear under the trousers without looking like a twit as well.

Field jacket. Iron. Never the twain shall meet.

Field jackets are not designed to be ironed, as they are IRR treated. Ironing them - even washing them! - destroys this protective coating designed for your survivability.

Unfortunately my Drill instructors at RTS Halton were presumably not aware of this, so I wasn't given much choice in the matter I'm afraid to say. Good point though, well presented, I shall bear it in mind for future reference, bit rubbish you can't even wash em without it getting ruined though considering what they're designed for? We're often made to do other silly things to em though, like stick name badge pins through em, i.e. messing up the water resistance, but that's just being in a training environment for you, I'll get a new one once I get a proper posting. End of the day though, I don't really think IRR treatment is important for airsoft purposes, not many skirmishers have NVGs that I know of.

ok guys, here is the situation.

just recieved a massive burgen full of BDUs ranging from american desert to german woodland splinter. the whole lot for free. after salvaging the aus cam, i noticed a bit of kit i thought i recognised.

it was a british MK2 body armour. sweet i thought. it fits aswell, but my question to all you squaddies/ people in the know, as im sort of going for a british army set up thats not too modern, but still using the sa80, would this be kit from the right sort of era?

my set up now is:

full woodland dpm shirt, trousers and combat jacket for cold days

plce in olive drab, kinda old i know, but it was dirt cheap,

standard british army boots,

sa80 w/sling

occasionally a small olive drab backpack that i use as a supply bag/daysack although its not standard issue.

im wondering if the body armour would make me look like a prat with gear crossing too much of a time period, or would it fit in fine?

p.s. the mk2 is olive drab aswell

Archived